IGNORED

hey, how many of you golf to get better?

golfmentalist
Note: This thread is 5355 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, i am conducting a study about golfers, i wanted to know how many of you play golf just for fun and dont care about your score, and how many of you practice and play with a bunch of golf tips in your mind so that you can improve your score. thank you very much, this will help push my studies farther.

I play to get better! But that's also what I find fun so, take it any way you want to.

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:
R7 Limited Driver 9.5* Matrix Ozik xcon 5.5 Stiff Shaft
A3os 3 (19*) and 4 (22*) Hybrids Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff shafts
X-22's 5-AW Regular Flex Uniflex Steel Shafts X-Forged SW 56* & LW 60* 35" Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 ('04 version) with a...

I'm always trying to improve
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

I play because I enjoy the game. I find that the better I play, the more enjoyment I get.

Having said that, I sure wouldn't quit playing if I knew that the likelihood of improving wasn't very high. Something everyone is eventually going to face as they age.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I go to the range and I play twilight rounds alone or with a friend to work on my game. Twilight around here is usually pretty slow because everyone on the course is hitting multiple balls and practicing different shots. I do that during the daytime too if the course is empty or if the group in front of me is playing slow and theres no group behind me.

When i play "serious" rounds I try to have only a few simple swing thoughts in my head. My "lazy" swing usually results in my not releasing my hands enough through impact and i push everything out to the right with a fade to add insult to injury.

I think you'll find that a lot of people have a similar approach to golf as i do.. practice during practice time, and just play the game and have fun during rounds... same as most every sport/game i suppose.

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

I love it, but I'm always trying to get better.

Nike Bag
Cobra 3 Wood Driver
Dunlop Reaction Dual Metal Woods
Wilson Fatshaft Tour Cast Irons
Dunlop Reaction P Tour Cast S WedgesDunlop Vista Model 4 putterHopefully new irons soon

I play to get better and use every round to fix any flaws I may have, so when I play competitive rounds I'm at my best.

Driver: taylormade.gif R11 9*
3 Wood: cleveland.gif Launcher 13* 5 Wood: cleveland.gif Launcher 19*
Irons: cleveland.gif CG1 Black Pearl 3-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gif CG12 Black Pearl 52 & 58 Degree     Putter: cameron.gif California Coronado
http://twitter.com/BFlynn23

Well i may be in the minority but i thoroughly enjoy practice and that gets me better so i guess i play to get better.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

I play to get better but as posted above I would still play if i hit my ceiling but I would still always try to improve even if I wasn't making any ground. Its just the thought of trying to get better.

This forum is probably a terrible place to get a sample from for your experiment. A golf forum like this is very likely used by golf enthusiasts who are more likely to strive for improvement.

This forum is probably a terrible place to get a sample from for your experiment. A golf forum like this is very likely used by golf enthusiasts who are more likely to strive for improvement.

Agreed, but still I work to improve.

In My Bag
Driver: 907 D2 10.5 degrees Aldila VS Proto
3 Wood: 906 F4 15.5 degrees Aldila VS Proto
Hybrid: Idea Pro 20 degrees Aldila VS Proto
Irons (3-P): i5Wedges: Vokey 52.8 and Vokey Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Style NewportBall: Pro V1x or NXT Tour

That is a very true statement. I played for years mainly for the fun of it but when I realized I was getting no better by just playing or practicing, I started reading books, this forum and watching swing videos.

I had a hdcp of about 30 just 6 months ago and am now at 16 since I joined this forum and began reading and voraciously consuming knowledge. I just read Ben Hogans book a couple days ago and now know a lot about what was wrong with my game. It was basically my grip, stance, takeaway, etc. I have been able to grind out an 87, 2x88's and 5x89's with a very clumsy and inconsistent swing.

Odyssey white Hot 2 ball cut down to 29"

Cobra ZL 9.5 driver
Adams Speedline 3W 13*
TourEdge Bazooka 20* hybrid
Powerbilt forged combo 3-PW
Ping Tour S 52 and 56 wedges

Hi, i am conducting a study about golfers, i wanted to know how many of you play golf just for fun and dont care about your score, and how many of you practice and play with a bunch of golf tips in your mind so that you can improve your score. thank you very much, this will help push my studies farther.

I certainly play to get better and to improve my score. That's what is FUN about the game for me. If I sucked and I was shooting incredibly high scores all the time, I don't think I would be having FUN at all. I am always trying to get better...that's just my spin on things though.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

i play both for fun and to get better. i start every round with the mindset of going lower than the last... i'll play 9 holes brilliantly...around the turn the wheels tend to get a little loose. i try hard on 13-15 to save a few pars to see if i can get back on track...if i can great! if not, i'll crack open a few beers enjoy the last few holes.

the problem i have is maintaining my energy throughout a round. i lack the stamina and the mental resolve to carry any momentum i have on the front to the back. the last two round i've played, i've been 2 and 3 over through 9 and 7 and 10 over, respectively, on the back. It really just gets frustrating knowing that if i could keep it together, i could potentially be under a 5...

in my bag:

Driver: '08 Cobra F Speed LD 10.5 w/UST Proforce V2 Tour Flight stiff

Fairway: Adams Speedline Fast10 3-wood w/Aldila Wasabi stiff
Hybrid: Nickent 3dx 3H
Irons: Nike CCI forged 4-pw Wedges: Nike Victory Red 52 56 60 Putter: Rife Mr. Beasley Balls: Bridgestone B330-RX Tees: epoch

I'm not sure if this is answers your question, but this is my take on it.

I play golf to get "good" at it. Basically, I have a point in my mind where I'll get to the point where I'm a "good golfer" in my estimation. This point doesn't have a tangible notation (like "I want to be scratch"), but just a general feeling. It has to do with both scores and with how I hit the ball. To wit, I want to be able to walk out onto any course and have a better-than-average chance of shooting in the 70s. I want to be able to stand behind a ball, and be able to call upon a shot and have a reasonable degree of certainty that I can pull it off. I don't know if this day will ever come, but that is what I'm shooting for, and that is why I play.

It should go without saying that I enjoy the game of golf, and the challenge of getting to this mythical "level" in my head. This might have something to do with my naturally competitive nature, in that to enjoy something I have to be good/getting better at it. Otherwise, I wouldn't put myself through all the ups and downs this great game provides.

In my Titleist stand bag:
Ping G5 10.5* Adila NV S
Titleist F2 15.5* VooDoo FW-S
TaylorMade Burner Rescue Hybrid '07 19* 65-S
Mizuno MP52 4-5 irons, Project X 5.5, 1* upright (4i bent to 23*)Mizuno MP57 6-PW, Project X 5.5, 1* uprightMaltby GW 53*; Titleist Vokey SW 58-12; Cougar LW 64*Zebra...

I want to get better but I do not have the time to do what it takes to get better right now. I usually play once a week though. It consists of working all week and getting up my first day off and meeting my buds at the number one tee box. No practice.First few holes are spent figuring out my swing. I try not to have any expectations of how I will play. I can shoot anywhere from low 80s to upper 90s.

Golf is the cruelest game, because eventually it will drag you out in front of the whole school, take your lunch money and slap you around. ~Rick Reilly, "Master Strokes," Sports Illustrated

I'm definitely still interested in improving, with the aim of shooting in the 80's reasonably often. I haven't played golf seriously for that many years, and I don't play often enough either, to have anywhere near reached a plateau yet IMHO.
(Wishful thinking???)

Oh yes and another thing, I still make boneheaded decisions out there that cost me strokes. Sheesh.

All in all, plenty of room for improvement. But I'll still play even if I feel I won't get any better. It's a truly great game, a joy in and of itself - if your head doesn't get in the way.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 5355 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!