IGNORED

2009 PGA Championship at Hazeltine

senorchipotle
Note: This thread is 5321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think the pressure to win another major will really tell on Tiger tomorrow and I predict a mild choke.

Bravo. I thought of you after it ended hahaha.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I was actually going to say was that I have been reading up on the history of golf and this strikes me as similar to a headline nearly 100 years ago - 1913, to be precise.

Francis Ouimet wins US Open.

Ouimet was an American and, while he wasn't the first to win the US Open, he did so against a field that included the best in the world - Vardon & Ray, the two top golfers at the time, came over specifically to reclaim the title from the upstart Yanks, whose representative (John McDermott) had won it the two years previously. But the real big guns hadn't been there.

His victory is said to have caught America's imagination and the number of golfers in the US tripled over the next 10 years. Walter Hagen won the following year and it was the start of American domination, which has continued - interrupted by the European 'golden era' in the 1980s/90s - ever since.

The Orientals have been knocking on the door for a while. Now, Yang has opened it. The Far East is the fastest-growing market for golf. Are we now going to see a seismic shift as great as that triggered by 1913?

Vardon was the Woods of his day - the dominant player in the world, an intimidating presence on the field. He had his challengers but always saw them off: until 1913.

Also worthy of note: the PGA Championship has always been regarded as 'very American' (N Faldo). The final leaderboard saw just two Americans in the top 5; five in the top 15 and 6 in the top 19. This looks like a real shift...but with 7 Europeans in the top 19 (five in the top 9) maybe the 'old world' will have something to say about the future of the game...

Interesting times!

I have never seen Tiger miss so many easy putts in my life. Putting has been the reason for his struggles. Come on Tiger, putt us a major already!
In my bag:
Driver: Burner
Irons: R7's
Hybrid: Burner
Wedge: CG14 Putter: white hot

The Orientals have been knocking on the door for a while.

Good post, just want to correct you on one thing...

Rugs and furniture are oriental. Humans are Asian, or Korean, Chinese, etc. Props to Y.E. I was rooting for him the entire day, the way he kept his cool and smiled after his worst of shots is how everyone should strive to play.

In my bag

Driver: J33r 10.5º - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue
Fairway: 600T 5w, 7w
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity 4-PW/AW/SW/LWPutter: Victoria IIBall: B330-RXGlove: WetherSofShoes: DryJoys

I am an anti-Tiger fan. So glad to see someone else win it, and do it with such style and grace.

PrairieParson
From Lubbock, Texas: the Heart of Flyover Country.
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons
Ball: White, mostly round and lots of dimplesScores this year: 78

Vardon was the Woods of his day - the dominant player in the world, an intimidating presence on the field. He had his challengers but always saw them off: until 1913.

Having such an image is a good thing for the time being - you can "lay back" and wait for your opponents to choke.

But when this image got scratched (like at Turnberry and today) it will all of a sudden turn against you and you will have a much harder time fighting off your opponents. IMO for Tiger it would have been much better to not "overmanage" the course and go for more flags - or "go down in flames", instead of just waiting for his opponents to choke, esp. if they are plentiful. That might have been better for his image. And lets face it, a lot of the current events Tiger won, he did so, because his competition just completly screwed up in the final round giving him a white flag - this time it didnt worked out for him, and indeed it will be intresting to see what develops out of this for the future.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

the even more surprising thing for me is that tiger was 4 clear on friday night and shot +2 for saturday and sunday!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

the even more surprising thing for me is that tiger was 4 clear on friday night and shot +2 for saturday and sunday!

Yep, choked by his lofty standards. He failed to put the field away on Saturday and it bit him in the butt today.

I think the Poa did Tiger in. Made him second guess his putting.

Tiger did seem to be more conservative. Just waiting for Y.E. to choke so he could just stride to victory.

That didn't happen.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

I've never seen Tiger putt that poorly. He struck the ball rather well all day it seems. Usually he makes at least one decent putt but today he made zero.

Props to Yang, aside from that 3 jack on 17 he was really solid. Good for him.

My prediction sure looked good on Friday, but boy did it blow up!

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Good post, just want to correct you on one thing...

I noticed that too. Nice correction.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

I was sitting in a bar with my cousin after we finished a round today and I totally called the chip in by Yang. We were both pulling for him.

On the equipment front, I haven't seen a ton of tour events this year, but I gotta believe not too many were won with a TM ball. Kinda interesting. Tiger needs to spend more time on the putting green, that's for sure. Maybe he should get a Bettinardi or maybe a White Hot. lol

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

It seemed like Tiger read too much break on almost every single putt today.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

I wonder if this means he won't be playing conservative golf on weekends with the lead anymore. Maybe we'll even see a return to his attempts at big margins again - something like what Brian Gay pulled off earlier this year, or Phil did a few years ago.

AMEN. The first 9 he shot for the middle of every green, and I kept saying how I thought he was playing like such a p****. He needs to find a middle ground between young Tiger and this new overly conservative Tiger.

TM R7 SuperQuad - 9.5* Stiff || TM V-Steel 15/18* Stiff || Mizuno MP-52 3-PW PX5.5 || Titleist Vokey OC 52/58* || Odyssey White Hot #1

If I have to hear one more statement about what a coup this is for Asian people, I'm going to throw up. They say it like being Asian is some kind of ACTUAL obstacle to playing good golf. When the first one-armed person, or legally blind person wins a major, THEN give me the personal-interest story. Just because something hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean its happening constitutes history.

And, FTR, Tiger played like a chump, IMO (hey, he set a standard, I'm holding him to it). His putts were timid, over and over. I know the greens were a bit slick but... Seems his mind was never made up on a lot of rolls, very unlike him.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

If I have to hear one more statement about what a coup this is for Asian people, I'm going to throw up. They say it like being Asian is some kind of ACTUAL obstacle to playing good golf. When the first one-armed person, or legally blind person wins a major, THEN give me the personal-interest story. Just because something hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean its happening constitutes history.

Nobody's saying him being Asian is an obstacle, it's just never been done. If that's not the definition of history, (something that's never been done), then WHAT IS? I guess Obama or Tiger are not history!

I think you mean well but you're missing the point.

It's a big deal because this creates a level of inclusion that a few billion people can identify with from that region of the world. It's sort of a mile-marker for the game that the global level of competition is such that players from all over are really becoming competitive. Also, from a business sense it's huge since this may open a lot of doors to marketing golf in Asian countries. It means the game is becoming more accessible to more people in that region. I don't think anyone was implying that it's an obstacle to golf if you're an Asian or from that region.

Note: This thread is 5321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!