IGNORED

2009 PGA Championship at Hazeltine

senorchipotle
Note: This thread is 5321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger Woods had been basically perfect for his entire professional life leading into Sunday (the only other time he had given up a final-round lead was in his second or third start on tour), and that sort of streak had to end sometime. Maybe this means he'll finally win a major the same way he has won more than half of his PGA Tour victories...from behind.

Really, Tiger didn't play too bad yesterday. He started out playing a little conservatively, but after passing up his bread-and-butter 5-wood approach on #7 to only manage par by playing safe, he stepped it up. He didn't get in trouble off the tee all day, and most of his approaches were only a few feet from being in perfect position. With the course setup and the wind being what it was at Hazeltine, those few feet always meant being on the wrong side of the hole, or on the wrong tier of the green, or hacking out of the rough from 25 feet away. He just couldn't convert the opportunities he gave himself. Tiger almost had a great round, but almost great just wasn't enough, especially since Yang did play a great round. That's all.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transcript of Yang's post round interview:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=58539

I thought his comment on it's not like he's stuck in a cage and Tiger's trying to whack him with a 9 iron was right on the mark. The "range" he started on was a poor one indeed, only went back 60 yards to a net.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger's race is completely irrelevant to his resume, in my opinion.

Tiger's race is completely irrelevant? You're kidding, right? Please tell me that you are. People that look like him are still being denied access to golf courses and country clubs all over the country. The fact that he won his first major at a place that changed the qualification standards to deny a black golfer entry speaks volumes. Furthermore, Tiger's success has brought more people into golf either because of race and/or because of where he grew up playing: public courses.

As for Yang's winning inspiring other Asian golfers, see Tiger's success. All it takes is for someone who reminds you of yourself to inspire you to achieve. Those type of people have a name: role models.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Tiger's race is completely irrelevant? You're kidding, right? Please tell me that you are. People that look like him are still being denied access to golf courses and country clubs all over the country. The fact that he won his first major at a place that changed the qualification standards to deny a black golfer entry speaks volumes. Furthermore, Tiger's success has brought more people into golf either because of race and/or because of where he grew up playing: public courses.

I don't think race is as big a problem as you are presenting it. Of course, in years is gone by, people were not allowed to do certain things due to racial bigotry, but nowadays I don't think that there is much of an issue. I think that people have a complex about discrimination due to the past but race is now no longer an obstacle to being a member of a country club. Denying access on the grounds of skin colour is unconstitutional in the USA or unlawful in the UK.

... also Martin Kaymer

He is leading the European money list now with his solid finish at Hazeltine!

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Tiger Woods had been basically perfect for his entire professional life leading into Sunday (the only other time he had given up a final-round lead was in his second or third start on tour), and that sort of streak had to end sometime. Maybe this means he'll finally win a major the same way he has won more than half of his PGA Tour victories...from behind.

I had a dreadful feeling after he missed the birdie putts on the first two holes. If he had made half the putts that burned the edges, he'd have won by 2-3 shots. He had a off day with the putter. It happens.

Woods is no doubt disappointed to not win, but he knows history. Jack won 18 majors and was runner-up 19 times. You don't win a lot of majors without a number of close losses. You could still give most of the pros half of Tiger's 2009 performance to date and it would be their dream season. SubPar

He is leading the European money list now with his solid finish at Hazeltine!

solid? splendid!

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

I don't think race is as big a problem as you are presenting it. Of course, in years is gone by, people were not allowed to do certain things due to racial bigotry, but nowadays I don't think that there is much of an issue. I think that people have a complex about discrimination due to the past but race is now no longer an obstacle to being a member of a country club. Denying access on the grounds of skin colour is unconstitutional in the USA or unlawful in the UK.

There is a difference between being admitted and being welcome. Racism comes in a lot of facets.

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

...but race is now no longer an obstacle to being a member of a country club. Denying access on the grounds of skin colour is unconstitutional in the USA or unlawful in the UK.

Huh? A private club is not bound by the constitution. The US Constitution describes bounds on the behavior of the Government and public entities, not necessarily on private citizens.

If I open a club to the public, I have to let everyone in (if my bouncers choose to block minorities from entering, the club can and will be sued for discrimination, because they are supposed to be "public"). If however I open a private club, I can sell (or restrict) memberships based on any criteria I choose, including race (or gender - see Augusta National, for example - unashamedly discriminatory, and proud of it).

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

I love when presumably white males say this.

I love when presumably white males say this.

And I love it when people intimate that just being a white male means that you never encountered any discrimination and couldn't possibly understand. You know, like there was/is never any discrimination against Jews, Italians or Irish people in this country, lol.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

And I love it when people intimate that just being a white male means that you never encountered any discrimination and couldn't possibly understand. You know, like there was/is never any discrimination against Jews, Italians or Irish people in this country, lol.

seriously? when was the last time you've heard of someone being discriminated against because their grandparents were italian, or irish? i'll give you jewish, but the other two, unless you're from new york or boston, are accepted as ''regular'' white americans.

seriously? when was the last time you've heard of someone being discriminated against because their grandparents were italian, or irish? i'll give you jewish, but the other two, unless you're from new york or boston, are accepted as ''regular'' white americans.

Come on now, there are still plenty of private clubs where all three are excluded.

The point is just being a white male is no golden ticket to a discrimination-free life.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Come on now, there are still plenty of private clubs where all three are excluded.

Except the entire world is geared to the enjoyment of white males, particularly well-to-do ones. Entire cultures are built upon this notion. White males are the master class.

Research patriarchy and white privilege. Men, particularly white men, are the central figures in economic, social and political life. Media and marketing is dominated for white males. Employment, housing, education and wealth are dominated by whites, particularly white males. Things are getting better, for sure. But it isn't crazy to think that someone that doesn't fit the profile of the western white male would be an inspiration to others that don't fit that profile either. It empowers groups of people that maybe didn't have that feeling before - the feeling of being first class. It's really easy for us white males to not understand this since most of us don't even realize this entire culture is designed with white males designated as the dominant figure if just about everything. This place is a very comfortable, inviting place for us. It isn't that way for everyone else.

Wow, this thread is going down hill fast...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

On a different note, did anyone else see the news story about the bookie who lost approx. $2 million because he paid out early? He paid those out the winnings to those who back Tiger after the 3rd round and before the 4th round started.

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Big Bertha 3-10 IADAMS Tom Watson Classic 54,58 and 64 Wedges Nike Oz 5 Putter/Wilson Staff ( not sure model, bought it in second hand store ) Ball: Bridgestone E6

On a different note, did anyone else see the news story about the bookie who lost approx. $2 million because he paid out early? He paid those out the winnings to those who back Tiger after the 3rd round and before the 4th round started.

We were listening to this on the way to the tournament on XM on Sunday.. What bookie in the world would pay out early!?!!

We were listening to this on the way to the tournament on XM on Sunday.. What bookie in the world would pay out early!?!!

I know who I'm placing my bet with next time!

Note: This thread is 5321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!