IGNORED

2009 PGA Championship at Hazeltine

senorchipotle
Note: This thread is 5380 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It actually brings the guys who are great wedge players (usually shorter hitters) back into the field - as counter intuitive as it seems. It's actually the 490 yard par 4's thatskew things to the big hitters IMO.

touché....

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiger is going to win this.

If he posts 5-under, it's going to put a TON of pressure on the guys in the afternoon. They can talk all they want about it being early in the tournament, no need to press, etc. but in the back of their mind they're going to be thinking "Crap, I'm already 5 behind Tiger."

I do think it's awesome that Paddy is only 1 stroke behind AND playing with him though, because he's the ONE guy on Tour who I think has the mental toughness to hang with Tiger.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

If he posts 5-under, it's going to put a TON of pressure on the guys in the afternoon. They can talk all they want about it being early in the tournament, no need to press, etc. but in the back of their mind they're going to be thinking "Crap, I'm already 5 behind Tiger."

I agree about Paddy. He's easily one of my favorites. He doesn't look it but he's tough as nails. He also really commits to his shot as well as anyone.

I would consider him the best golfer after Tiger right now, especially since he has gotten his swing working apparently. Would be great if him and Tiger went at it for 4 days.

Barring some freak weather change, it'll be interesting to see what the stroke average is for the afternoon group compared to the morning group. With Tiger sitting at -5, I bet those guys press and it's a good 0.5 to 1 shot worse knowing they have to go low.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Barring some freak weather change, it'll be interesting to see what the stroke average is for the afternoon group compared to the morning group. With Tiger sitting at -5, I bet those guys press and it's a good 0.5 to 1 shot worse knowing they have to go low.

Yeah but someone will light it up. Not all of them will fail while pressing. Glover birdied the first hole, which is a 490 yard hole. He stiffed it to 10 feet. As we all know, he's a hell of a ballstriker. If he makes some putts today he's going to shoot a very good number, possibly better than -5. Tiger left some shots out there believe it or not.

It's going to be a kind of boring tournament if Tiger runs away with it tomorrow. Hopefully some of the young guns can make a run, or a guy like Phil, or Sergio. That'd make things REAL interesting!

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

It's going to be a kind of boring tournament if Tiger runs away with it tomorrow. Hopefully some of the young guns can make a run, or a guy like Phil, or Sergio. That'd make things REAL interesting!

Paddy is right there with him. I think it'd be cool if the two of them play together all 4 days and each of them plays well the entire time.

It will be boring from the suspense, who is going to win this point of view. But watching a player just light it up with incredible shot after incredible shot is always fun.

Now, if hes too incredible and has a wide lead by Saturday then it will be watching Tiger play conservative golf for the next couple days. It isn't on Tiger to make this interesting. It's on another player going toe to toe with him and I think Harrington might just be the man for this. If it's Paddy VS Tiger for 4 days count me in!!!!

It will be boring from the suspense, who is going to win this point of view. But watching a player just light it up with incredible shot after incredible shot is always fun.

Well, that's my point. If he has a 5 stroke lead heading into Saturday it could turn into a snoozer.

If it's tight with a few players atop the leaderboard 1-2 strokes behind going into the weekend it will surely be fun and interesting to watch. Like you said, someone really needs to step up and challenge him.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Like you said, someone really needs to step up and challenge him.

What if they can't? Has no one ever thought of the possibility that when he's on he's unbeatable? Because when he is on and driving the ball straight, it's like Hogan except with a good putting stroke and a more aggressive style of shotmaking. That is a lethal combination.

What if they can't? Has no one ever thought of the possibility that when he's on he's unbeatable? Because when he is on and driving the ball straight, it's like Hogan except with a good putting stroke and a more aggressive style of shotmaking. That is a lethal combination.

No, you're right he is unbeatable when he's firing on all cylinders. There simply isn't a way to get close to this savant who has a certain clairvoyance about this game no one has ever had.

Over the PGA Championships over the last 8 years or something his cumulative score is -54. After him is a guy at -8. The next closest is -2. That really puts things into perspective.

His round today was about as impressive as I've ever seen. Notice how he didn't swing the driver like he was in a long drive contest. He was very controlled. Plus, he made some long putts too. I say he wins by 9 or 10. But I am pulling for Padrig!!!!Padrig looks more like a nomal kinda guy on the golf course. I also noticed that Tiger may be reading this forum. He hit 2 bad shots on par 5's today and he kept his emotions and mouth under control...way to go Tiger!!!..

I also noticed that Tiger may be reading this forum. He hit 2 bad shots on par 5's today and he kept his emotions and mouth under control...way to go Tiger!!!..

I think he's feeling it and knows he's got this thing locked up.

No, you're right he is unbeatable when he's firing on all cylinders. There simply isn't a way to get close to this savant who has a certain clairvoyance about this game no one has ever had.

Yeah it does. And he is 6 out of 8 in winning majors at par 72 golf courses other than Augusta National. And one of his two losses was a 2nd place at Hazeltine in 2002. He obviously loves this course and if he wins this week that will move him to 7 of 9 at par 72 courses other than Augusta. Ridiculous stat.

I will enjoy the championship even if Tiger goes lights out tomorrow.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Note: This thread is 5380 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!