IGNORED

what do you chip with around the green?

ScottL
Note: This thread is 5362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I pretty much use my 60* for everything. I've been experimenting with a 52* and 56* when I'm chipping (or short pitching) and the green is uphill, on the theory that I'll get a little more roll out, but I keep coming back to my 60*. I' prefer the aggressive play -- drop it near the flag instead of rolling it all the way up.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use my 51 degree gap wedge for most of my chip shots/shots around the green. I'll use my sand wedge (56) in some situations or will occasionally use a lower lofted iron for bump and run shots. I like the Utley method but have much better success with the slightly less lofted gap wedge.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

Like most of the other people on this thread, I used to use strictly my wedges (56*) around the green. I recently took a 9 hole lesson with a scratch golfer, and one of the main things I learned was to abandon this strategy. There are certainly times that call for the 56* or 60* wedge, but certainly not as many as I thought.

Before you decide on a club, you must take a few things into account. How good is your lie? How much green do you have to work with? Do you need to clear a hazard? How far are you from the green? ... Unless you are short sided, or have a hazard to get over, chances are you should go with a club with less loft. It is much easier to control an easy chip shot with a 9i or PW compared to a SW.

Bag: Cheapo
Driver:983K
Woods: Steelhead
Irons-PW: X-12
SW: 56* CG14LW: 60* CG14Putter:Craz-E "I Series"BallNY, NY"Chinch Bugs"

I actually find this thread pretty interesting......I have been converted from purely a SW anywhere inside of 80yds to being on the green to now playing putter,hybrid,7i, or SW depending on the situation.....
From the fringe i play putter most of the time...just makes the most sense since its all but the green anyways. If its close to the green but lie doesn't allow for putter or i don't feel like putter for some reason then it will either be 7i or Hybrid depending on the green and how far the flag is....
For me now a wedge only comes into play when i have to carry rough and drop the ball down on the green....usually from the rough....
If i'm short of green in the fairway close then it will be 7i or wedge depending on lie....

For me not being a perfect ball striker i just find that playing a bump and run is more reliable then a pitch/flop type shot....i don't have to worry about hitting it a little fat or thin....its just speed.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, what a varied set of replies. I'm with the guy who uses whatever is best for a given shot. My basic philosophy is that any putt is better than a chip. And a chip is better than a pitch. Having said that, I try to make every chip as close to a putt as possible with the ball in the air only as long as necessary to get over whatever I need to get over. For short, non-puttable grass very near the green, I use a chipper (sorry, purists). Thicker grass, further away, I use anything from a SW to a 5 iron depending on how far the ball needs to be in the air and how long the run-out will be after it lands.

Sorry to say it, but folks who use just one club are either stubborn or unimaginative.

i like to use my PW with a putting stroke.But It really does depend on my lie. I have tried using the SW and LW but i get much better performance with the pw. So why change it up.

In my bag:
Driver: Big Bertha Diablo 10* N
Fairway wood: Big Bertha Diablo 15*N
Irons:Big Bertha 06' (3-PW)
Wedge: Sandwedge 56*Wedge: Lob 60*Putter: White Hot XG#1Ball: Big Bertha Diablo , HX Hot Bite, Warbird

60 or 5 iron. That's it. Depends on the lie, but it's usually always my 60. I love attacking the pin, but when there is green to work with, usually the 5. If it's downhill, probably the putter.

I was in a rush the last time I was on the course and I had forgotten to take my putter with me to the green on one hole so all I had was my lob wedge to try and putt with. It occurred to me (I must have 5-putted or more) that I would have done better with any other club in the bag as a putting device.

I think I'm just really surprised to hear how many people use a high lofted wedge when they're just off the green. I probably feel more comfortable with my sand wedge than any other club, but it seems like choking up on a 5 iron (an easier club to putt with?) for chips that resemble putts would be less of a hassle.

My chipping could use some work before I can make sound club decisions... Ooh, it's getting light outside! (and today's my day off!)
Still learning the game with:
HiBore XLS 10.5°
HiBore XLS 3W
Burner Rescue 4H 22°
CG7 4 - PWCG14 Black Pearl 52°, 56°, 60°White Hot 330 mallet

I was in a rush the last time I was on the course and I had forgotten to take my putter with me to the green on one hole so all I had was my lob wedge to try and putt with. It occurred to me (I must have 5-putted or more) that I would have done better with

I actually putted with my 60* one round as part of a bet and putted very well with it. It seemed like the bladed 60* rolled as true as my putter. It was fun though!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I was in a rush the last time I was on the course and I had forgotten to take my putter with me to the green on one hole so all I had was my lob wedge to try and putt with. It occurred to me (I must have 5-putted or more) that I would have done better with any other club in the bag as a putting device.

Now

that does sound like fun! So you won the bet? This reminds me of a story my friend was telling me about a guy he played who didn't carry a putter. I think he said the guy carried 4 clubs because he didn't like golf bags. A wood, two irons and a wedge?... My friend didn't say who won, but I'll have to ask him. I'm also going to ask what a guy (who I assume had a lot of experience putting with non-putter clubs) used as his go-to putter...
Still learning the game with:
HiBore XLS 10.5°
HiBore XLS 3W
Burner Rescue 4H 22°
CG7 4 - PWCG14 Black Pearl 52°, 56°, 60°White Hot 330 mallet

Now

Yeah. It was with my usual playing partners and I always have to give them a few strokes. That time they wanted to play straight up and me not use my putter, so I did. I still won. The only ones I had trouble with were the longer putts. It was a little harder to lag as consistent with it. But the shorter range putts weren't that bad. I probably couldn't do that today as my cousin has stepped his game up within a few strokes of mine, but it was fun to have such a challenge.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

8i if I can let it run a bit. PW if I need a little height and less run. Looking at something around 58-60* with less bounce fo the ones I need to have pull up quick.

I use my gap wedge 90% of the time, otherwise the other 10% would be split between my sand and lob. I just want to get it rolling as soon as possible but still have enough carry on it to get out of the longer grass. Plus it keeps that damn putter out of my hands.

In my bag:
Driver: Sumo SQ 9.5* (SQ DyMo 9.5*...coming soon)
3W: Deep Red 15* (SQ DyMo 15*...coming soon)
Irons 3-P: AP2
Wedges : 52*, 56*, 60* SV TourFlat Stick: White Hot XG #1/ g5i Craz-e (...leaving soon)Ball: Z-URC

I have chipped with everything down to the 8 iron. Also use the 4H chip once in awhile if its a long way away and theres alot of green to work with and i'm on the fringe.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

I used to use my 60* 90% of the time, but over the last couple rounds I've begun to mix it up a lot more and I've had quite a bit of success. I'd say I use my PW a lot more often now and I put 2 7i's very close. My lob wedge is sad that I haven't really used it, though.

Note: This thread is 5362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!