IGNORED

what do you chip with around the green?

ScottL
Note: This thread is 5362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My choice is pretty much putter, hybrid, 48 wedge, 54 wedge, or 60 wedge. I don't mess around much with irons around the green; I either want it rolling or flying onto the green, nothing in between. I choose between the wedges based upon the lowest loft that will comfortably fly the green, unless there's a severe slope that I want to fly the ball over.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave this some thought just the other day. Currently, I have three wedges in my bag: a Titleist 52* Spin-milled Vokey, a 56* Fourteen the Wedge Low bounce -wedge and a 58* Titleist Vokey. Around the green, I got best results with the putter - whenever the conditions were suitable for using it. And whenever the putter was out of the question, I noticed I was closest to the flag with my 56*. I was able to hit it high and low, to spin it (or stop it) and roll it from 50yds and closer.

I could probably add a few shots to my repertoire if I used all the three clubs around the green, but I noticed that on the course I was at a loss going from one to another and would hit really get my yardages (or rather metres) wrong. I simply needed a go-to-club to simplify my game for the time being.

The 52* comes in handy chipping from the rough.

My Aerolite bag contains:

VR Tour Driver Project X 5.5
904F 17* 4-wood Sabre Stiff
MP68 3-PW Project X 6.0
52* Vokey Spin Milled -wedge

Redwood ZB

I prefer a ball, but may occasionally hit almost anything.

As flat a club as I can get away with. Getting it close percentages are best for me when I can get the ball rolling Typically a 7 iron putting style

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

what club do you chip with when you are around the green? Mainly talking about just off the fringe or slightly back...

It depends on the lie and how much run out I want. I've used a 17* rescue club, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, pw, gw or lw. I mostly use my 53* gw though. With that said there is no more versitle high lofted club than the 56* sw, IMO. Do I carry one ? No. Although my next gw/sw will be a 54 or 55*.

58º every time. I've learned to adjust for different lies; knowing how they're going to come out. I can de-loft it to about a 47º (PW) very easily, if need be. I usually get a lot of release with my wedge, which is why I use it instead of a PW. I can also get it into the air very quickly, and have it stop fast, if, say I have to get over a bunker and there's barely any green to work with.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

This is an interesting question. If I am either on the fringe or just short of the green I use a 4 iron with a putter like stroke, it works pretty well for me. Psychologically for some reason I just cannot bring myself to putt off the green, I either leave it well short or blast it by the hole. Anything in the rough I either use a 52 or 56 depending on how much green I have to work with.

Looking for a new bag..
- Taylor Made Burner TP 10.5
- Tommy Armour 845 3 wood
- Nike CPR 18 degree rescue
- Taylor Made r7 draw 4-pw- Taylor Made RAC 52 degree - Cleveland 588 wedges 56 and 60 degree- Taylor Made TPI-23 putter- Taylor Made TP Black (can't wait for the Penta)

Note: This thread is 5362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!