IGNORED

Hitting through greens

Rukus43
Note: This thread is 5367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I disagree with what has been said about the trajectory and spin relationship and agree with Thaddy. If you hit a moon shot for a sand wedge, the ball will land SOFTER, but that does not mean it will have as much spin. I actually get MORE spin when I hit a 3/4 sandwedge and hit it pretty low. Its not a thin shot, its just lower than a moonshot. Usually this shot will hop once and stop or hit and spin back.

If you watch a lot of pros, they do not sky their shots within 70 yards. Most times they hit a low check shot so the wind is not a factor, and they still get great spin.

EGS

910 D3 9.5* Aldila RIP S 70 g
Burner 3 wood 15 * S
Bruner Hybrid 19* S MP-60 S300 4-PW CG 14 52*/10* TP Z 56*/12* TP Z 60*/6* Studio Select Laguna 1.5

Then the question is whether he wants high trajectory with less spin or low trajectory with more spin. I prefer the high trajectory and enough spin to stop the ball, but not so much as to spin it back. There's no way I can control spin if it starts coming back to me. Distance control is easier, if the ball lands and stops pretty dead where it lands, I'm happy.

Lower trajectory (if hit properly), usually give more spin, but that's not to say it's the only way to play golf. Same goes with chipping and pitching. I can't control the backspin there, nor am I able to hit hard punch shots which check once or twice then stops. If I hit that shot and didn't get the spin, I'd be through the green. I want the ball to fly, bounce and roll out with a chip. For a pitch I want the same, but less roll and higher flight.

Delofting of the clubs comes with lag and proper motions in the golf swing. The more you deloft, the lower ball flight, and doesn't it also give more spin? How much you deloft is a matter of preference and your swing. One way is not the right, nor is the other, it's all up to your own preferences. I'm very happy with high trajectory, and I play with people that like it lower.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ever think of dropping down a club? Play to the front of the green instead of to the middle? The greens I play are ridiculously hard, no matter how high, or how much spin, you can't hold them. If I'm 115 to the center, I'll play to 100 and have a putt. IF I do short-side it, it seems to me the chips are easier than when I'm long.
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

I do drop down a club currently just for the time being, but I think I would be better if I could get my ball to stay or be within a few feet of where it lands when hitting my wedges. The consensus is to hit down on the ball more which goes along with my thinking because I have a flat swing and only have small divots when hitting my wedges and short irons. I will work on a descending sharp blow, Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher, 9.5°
Hybrid: Pinemeadow Bloc 24°
Irons: Mizuno MX-200, 4-GW
SW: Cleveland CG14, 56°, 2 dot
LW: Pinemeadow Wedge, 60°Putter: Odyssey White Hot Sabertooth, 35"Ball: Callaway HX Hot Bite

Without getting very technical i can't picture anyway a wedge is rolling 10-15yds unless you are hitting it thin...no matter whether your a digger,picker or sweeper i just can't see see that much roll in a wedge if clean contact is made.....
My guess would be that your a sweeper/picker and your catching the ball thin. I know alot about this since i used to be a complete sweeper and have hit my fair share of thin wedges....By hitting the ball thin your getting a penetrating ball flight with considerably less spin then what you should get with a wedge.....in simplistic terms in ends up acting more like a mid iron shot.
Do some work at a grass range with your Wedge....try swinging slower, more controlled, maybe move the ball back slightly in your stance. Maybe don't take the club back as far in your backswing as you usually do....Just think about coming down into the ball. Don't worry about clubhead speed....don't worry about how far it goes....nice slow and controlled...not a full swing.....
Then let us know what you see after you hit some cleanly, you'll see and feel the difference immediantly.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!