IGNORED

Most underrated golf company?

tmf9
Note:Β This thread is 5186 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Agree with Bridgestone and Srixon, and would add Sonartec, which I think may be defunct now.

Wilson Staff and MacGregor are surely mysteries. Once these were major entities in the golf industry, famous for their players' clubs. If you got in a time machine and went back to the fifties or sixties, they and Walter Hagen, Top Flight, and Spalding were common names in the game, right alongside Titleist (or Acushnet.)

RC

Β 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henry griffits

henry griffits

henry griffits

henry griffits

henry griffits

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9ΒΊ
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50ΒΊ, 54ΒΊ
Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Taylormade RAC 58ΒΊ
Putter:Β Ping Darby 32" shaft

Β 

Not to challenge you Balto but what clubs do Snake Eyes copy?

A friend of mine has a set and I believe he said they were ping 'i'-series clones.

Your friend is obviously an idiot. Snake eyes is a component manufacturer, not clones.

Driver: Β the search continues
Fairway Wood:Β  Ping G25 3W Tour stiff
Hybrid:Β  Snake Eyes Q4U 19*, 23*
Irons:Β  Ping G25 5-UW w/CFS X-flex Β (on order)
Wedges:Β  685BX black 56*Β Β Β Β Β  Putter:Β  Wilson Staff 8882Β 

Indeed, Henry Griffits clubs have been a standard for decades. Surely not as well known today as in past times.

RC

Β 

Another vote for Wilson Staff. I chose my Pi7s over several other major manufacturers (TM, Nike, and Callaway, in particular). I haven't regretted my recent wedge purchases for a second, either. The price-to-quality ratio can't be matched.

In my bag:
905R 9.5
906F4 15.5
CLK Fli-Hi 20

MP-52 3-PW

Vokey SMΒ 52.08,Β 58.08

Studio Stainless Newport 2 35"

PRO V1x

Nickent makes the best hybrids i think.

In My Sun Mountain 3.5 Bag:
Driver- '07 Burner 10.5
3 Wood- Sumo 3 wood
Hybrid- 3+ 18.5 hybrid
Irons- R7 4-AW steelWedges- 56 Putter- Itsy Bitsy SpiderBalls- D2 Feel Prov1 Practice

I wouldn't call companies like Miura and Scratch underrated personally. Although they're not well known they have reputations as makers of high-end, high-quality clubs. They're boutique manufacturers known for their quality but out of the price range for the average golfer.

Scratch 8620 Cast Wedges are $99 and would rival any wedge out there... I would hardly say that price range is too high.

I would also throw a vote out for Tour Edge Exotics hybrids and fairway woods as some of the best around... but these you will pay a price for.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

Not to challenge you Balto but what clubs do Snake Eyes copy?

I have no idea hehe? Maybe Cobra's? lol

This have something to do with Hippo's? I never said anything about snake eyes hehe

+1 for Wilson Staff

Used to have ws wedges, loved em. I'm sure the irons are awesome. Shame everyone thinks its the junk you get at target.

Curious about the woods though, I noticed good ole Paddy had an R9 which I found interesting as I thought the 'smooth driver' on their website looks cool.

Your friend is obviously an idiot. Snake eyes is a component manufacturer, not clones.

Component manufacturers, like Snake Eyes, make clones. They take existing ideas and designs and make a club that is very similar in materials and design but do not infringe on trade marks of the original OEM. That is what Snake Eyes are. They clone other manufacturers clubs materials, designs and specifications. This doesn't mean they're bad clubs.

I understand you own a set and are defensive about them for whatever reason, but maybe you should read this: http://www.pinemeadowgolf.com/clubs101_5.html It explains what clones are and why companies like Snake Eyes make clones. They are cheap alternatives to name brand clubs and get similar performance. Clones are not knock offs. Knock offs are of poor quality and illegal.

Component manufacturers, like Snake Eyes, make clones. They take existing ideas and designs and make a club that is very similar in materials and design but do not infringe on trade marks of the original OEM. That is what Snake Eyes are. They clone other manufacturers clubs materials, designs and specifications. This doesn't mean they're bad clubs.

Not only did the link you posted not prove anything, you are 100% incorrect in your assertion that Snake Eyes uses other designs and copies them. Every Snake Eyes iron head is an original design. I am not sure how old you are but back in the 90's before they were owned by Golfsmith dozens of tour players had Snake Eyes wedges in their bag. These same wedges are still being sold.

"Component manufacturers, like Snake Eyes, make clones.". Are you asserting that all component manufacturers make clones? There is a difference between a component and a clone. I use almost exclusively Maltby products and I can assure you that not one of my clubs is a "clone". Do a little research before posting stuff like this. Here is a list of Snake Eyes Irons. Why don't you tell me which ones they cloned: http://www.golfsmith.com/cm/browse/c...275624&Ntk;=All

Glock 17

Component manufacturers, like Snake Eyes, make clones. They take existing ideas and designs and make a club that is very similar in materials and design but do not infringe on trade marks of the original OEM.

Based on what you're saying, basically all OEM's make "clones". Square headed drivers, hybrid iron sets, seamless cover golf balls, interchangeable shafted drivers....... etc. This is what I (and many others) consider to be clones. Most people who stay on top of new equipment can look at these iron sets and see which OEM set they are 'cloned' after. I've never played any of them so I will not make an assumption of how they perform. http://goldeneaglegolf.com/golf-irons/index.htm

Driver: Β the search continues
Fairway Wood:Β  Ping G25 3W Tour stiff
Hybrid:Β  Snake Eyes Q4U 19*, 23*
Irons:Β  Ping G25 5-UW w/CFS X-flex Β (on order)
Wedges:Β  685BX black 56*Β Β Β Β Β  Putter:Β  Wilson Staff 8882Β 

Why is it that people that play off-brand equipment are so defensive about it? Those companies take existing ideas on materials, specifications and designs and do very little R&D; themselves. That is why they are an off-brand, or clone.

I never said it was bad equipment. Just that it was copied from higher end manufacturers.

I don't play Snake eyes and don't care to, to be frank. But my friend who built a set said they're basically like some Ping clones. He didn't get ultra-defensive about his low-end gear.

Why is it that people that play off-brand equipment are so defensive about it? Those companies take existing ideas on materials, specifications and designs and do very little R&D; themselves. That is why they are an off-brand, or clone.

I don't think anyone is getting defensive. You just made a series of inaccurate statements and were corrected. We have all been wrong from time to time.

Component companies take their own ideas, own materials and design their own equipment to their specs. Clones take other peoples designs and copy them. EDIT-Above you claim "I never said it was bad equipment." and then your last sentence in the post does just that.

Glock 17

what??? noone mentioned Walter Hagens ???

Dicks Sporting Goods in-house brand (it might be at Golf Galaxy now since Dick's owns them now as well). When I worked for Dicks back in 2006, their Walter Hagen offerings were (IMO) pretty bad. Seemed like they were just copying all the conventions of what Taylor Made was doing and still had the nerve to charge top dollar for them.

Just my opinion, but I didn't think the Walter Hagen brand brought anything to the table that made them worth the money they were asking.

Driver: 907 D2 10.5 - Diamana Blue 65 Shaft
3-Wood: 906 F4 15.5 - Graphite Design YS-6+ Shaft
5-Wood: 906 F4 18.5 - Diamana Blue 75 Shaft
Irons: Rac TP CB Irons; 5.0 Flighted Rifle Shafts, 1 degree flat.
Wedges: Rac TP Black 52:08; 56:12Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 - 35"B...

Note:Β This thread is 5186 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!