IGNORED

Blades... no not for me!

jamo
Note: This thread is 5365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can hit blades great but I dont play with them. I'll be mixing my set though next year with some MP67 7-PW.

I started playing blades when I was 11, because thats what my grandparents gave me. I think a lot of people think blades are a right of passage to being a good player. But a lot of the pro's dont hit pure blades anymore, and many of them have gotten rid of long irons for hybrids. So I think a lot of it has to do with what makes you feel good about your game.

I really dont care what people hit, as long as they can play them. So if a 20 handicap player came up to me with a full set of blades and played well with them who cares? But a lot of people play them because "blades" sound cooler than "cavity back" :)

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

Let me just say, I love blades. They look great and they weight feels perfect and I dont see anything wrong with accomplished players using them. Also i HATE offset.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can hit blades great but I dont play with them. I'll be mixing my set though next year with some MP67 7-PW.

well said

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I play blades 'cause the chicks dig it. Seriously, I was at the mall the other day and some random hot chick was hanging out with her other hot friends and I just went up to her, told her I played blades, then made out with her for 30 solid minutes. Didn't even get her name. True story.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

^^ Lol!! Nice..

Funny, I always considered the MP57's blades.... If they are not blades and not CB's what are they? Muscle back? What exactly makes a muscle back?

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

Actually I don't care for the look of either of those clubs at address.

that not the point i was making at all. My point was that my players cb's look like blades at address, but they are much more forgiving, the best of both worlds.

Toe it with my X18's, not TERRIBLE results. Toe it with the X Prototypes and there's no doubt in your mind you've made poor contact. Good hits feel like butter...

Honestly is there ever any doubt when you make lousy or pure contact? The results of your swing speak for itself. I think everyone here has hit a terrible shot and got away with it (the worm burner that ends up on the green), but you know right off the bat you hit a terrible shot. Playing a blade doesn't give the average golfer anymore detailed information than you can gain from watching what your ball does after you hit it. An accomplished, experienced golfer can gain more insight into their swing mechanics while striking blades but you're talking about the difference between the ball diverging from it's intended target line 5 or 10 feet (and that's with their long irons). For most of us a shot like that would still be considered a good shot and having made pure contact, and quite frankly if your handicap is above the low single digits your typical shot pattern diverges a heck of a lot more than that.

When I took up golf 30 years ago blades were your only option. I've still got that first set of Macgregor Golden Bears. The heads were small, they had no offset, and they are a solid blade with some shaping on the back, but truth be told I hit those old clubs as well as I do my current GI set. That's what makes iron selection so tricky. Anyone can play blades and it's not that big of a deal. Technology has made a difference and that is why you see such a wide range of handicaps playing all kinds of clubs. The real issue should be about finding what works for you and then fine tuning that to fit your game. Maybe that's playing blades and maybe it's a set of SGI irons. Hitting blades isn't hard at all, but some people have found that current technology can help their shots be more consistant and ultimately good golf is all about being consistant...

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I play blades 'cause the chicks dig it. Seriously, I was at the mall the other day and some random hot chick was hanging out with her other hot friends and I just went up to her, told her I played blades, then made out with her for 30 solid minutes. Didn't even get her name. True story.

She was spanish or asian or something weird all I know is that it was love~ Brian Fantana, Anchor man.

^^ Lol!! Nice..

Their technically considered a cavity back/muscle back, But there is almost no cavity. But I dont consider them blades, Muscle back seems appropriate. But the Mp67's are considered Muscle backs as well, who knows.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

I'll throw my 2 cents in here as a high handicapper.

I don't personally have any interest in blades, but from an overall perspective I get it.

Here's how I see it - it is easy to learn about golf equipment and technique. In just a month or so here on TST I can now talk with my experienced golf friends and they are surprised at my knowledge. With my skills they don't expect me to know what blades vs. cavity backs are, what the differences in shaft flex means, what it means to hit down w/irons vs. on the upswing with a driver, etc.

It is hard to be a good golfer. It's a lot more frustrating to learn how to actually hit the ball well than it is to learn about theory or lie and loft angles in a club or whatever. Beginners like myself want to get to the next level, but can mistakenly spend too much time in the gear/theory/lingo part of golf and not enough time on the range, the putting green, or playing a round.

This is something I'm guilty of. I take the easy way out. I've done this with many of my hobbies in life: I overdo it on the easy stuff and skip the hard stuff, because of time or money constraints, or because I'm not THAT interested, or whatever. It's probably why I flit from this hobby to that every few months or years.

I am trying not to do this with golf, because I know actually improving will be a lot more satisfying than buying really nice clubs or learning a bunch of jargon to put up the appearance of improvement. It's why I'm not buying any new clubs until I max out my potential with my current clubs or I break them.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

My first set of irons 20 years ago were Wilson Blades... And let me tell you as a young lad when you miss hit that club you felt it...I have always felt, for some reason, if you learned to play the game with blades you became a better ball striker. Just my opinion...

Same thing happened to me. I know I'll never play a cavity back again.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

With only about 10% of the PGA tour playing a full set of blades, I can't see blades being the best choice for any amateurs bag (for their scores anyway).

Having said that having them in ur bag makes u look like a player

Now, there are benefits to playing a forged players cavity back over a super game improvement. 1 being the distance is more consistent, if you've got a good swing. Sometimes u get a really juiced shot off of a SGI iron, which doesn't happen anywhere near as often on a "players cavity back" in my experience. They'll also launch lower, many SGI irons launch way to high for higher swing speed golfers. The soles on SGI irons are usually really wide which can make playing off of tighter fairways/lies more difficult.

IHMO, nobody should be playing a blade because player cavity backs perform so close to blades, but yet offer score helping foregiveness.

Practicing is a different story, I keep a blade in the trunk and practice with it at the range all the time. On the course, i'll take the extra foregiveness .

DRIVER: 905r 8.5 UST V2 75 X
3 WOOD: 906f2 15 UST 85 X
HYBRID/IRON: Rapture Hybrid/3 Iron
IRONS: MX 200 Dynamic Gold X100
WEDGES: 52, 56, 60 600PUTTER: Geurin Rife Two Bar BALLS: Pro V1xGLOVE: SoftjoySHOES: Reelfit "Do those pump up?"BAG: Sun Mountain

Practicing is a different story, I keep a blade in the trunk and practice with it at the range all the time. On the course, i'll take the extra foregiveness .

Agreed, I keep an old Jack Nicklaus Master 1 Iron blade in my trunk for when i'm really striping it on the range, but i would never play it on the course, i just use it for fun.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Have always and will always play forged blades. Nothing sweeter in golf to me that ballstriking a PRO V1 into a back pin with a forged blade...

It's funny how people who want to play them, but either can't ballstrike well enough or just aren't comfortable, try to justify why they are upset they cant bring themselves to play them.

Forged blades are not for everyone and that's why they make so many different versions of irons. It's really that simple, no need to justify your decision to play game improvement clubs. It's your game, you gotta love your game regardless of clubs and just love it all.

By the way, have you seen the new Titleist 710MB's? Titleist is back baby and those are some sweet looking blades that supposedly have even more technology in them. My Titleist rep is coming to the club this week and I cant wait to get more info on them.

She was spanish or asian or something weird all I know is that it was love~ Brian Fantana, Anchor man.

I love desk. I love... carpet.

Brick are you just saying you love what you see? I love lamp. I love lamp. hahaha- Brick the Weatherman love that movie

In my bag:

I just purchased a set of Mizuno MP-33 "blades". Took them to the driving range tonight. What great clubs. I hit a lot of good shots with them and far. Even my mishits were not that bad and didn't hurt. There must be good blades and bad blades, because I can remember some bad shots with blades years ago that HURT!!. The feel was great. The control was great. I can't imagine ever going back to investment cast cavity back irons.

PrairieParson
From Lubbock, Texas: the Heart of Flyover Country.
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons
Ball: White, mostly round and lots of dimplesScores this year: 78

I just picked up my first set of blades from the post office. I ordered a set of TaylorMade rac MB TP irons on eBay. Got a killer deal and they are in great shape. I know my HDCP may not "be low enough" to "justify" getting blades, but I feel like I need to do something to shake up my iron play, which has been just ho hum for the past year. I hae been striking the ball well, but cannot get enough GIR to make me score well. Im hoping that havving a set of blades will make me concentrate on each shot a lot more.

R7 460 TP 8.5* Driver
Burner TP 3 wood
r7 Steel 5 wood
rac TP MB with FCM 6.0 shafts #4-PW
rac Fe2O3 52* 8*bounce Spin Milled 56.14* and 60.04* wedges Rossa Corzina putter ProV1x

Note: This thread is 5365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!