IGNORED

What's the problem with womens golf?

Duffy
Note: This thread is 5358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's actually why some people promote you should in fact watch women's golf. Their game much more resembles the game most amateur men play and you'll gain much more watching their swings and strategies than you will watching a male professional.

I watch pro sports to be wowed. I can't throw a football 60 yards or make a diving catch in center field or dunk over a 7 footer or anything really that a pro athlete can do. Women's golf and basketball...I can do that stuff. 160 for a 7 iron...done it. It just doesn't have as much of a wow factor.

The other thing is, you can't do what they do. They're creating a lot more power per pound than any of us. Their efficiency is well beyond ours.

I can do what they do. I've hit a 6-iron 180. They may be more efficient, but it doesn't make it any more exciting for me.

The fact is most males don't treat or respect women as people, competitors, etc but rather as sex objects. As demonstrated in your closing remarks about why you love the game, for instance.

Do you have stats? Most men don't treat or respect women as people? Find some stats before you post anything so ridiculous. Some men don't respect women. Not most.

I really don't want to go too far off topic because frankly, the audience at this site isn't worthy of this debate. I know I won't get any interesting feedback anyways. Not before cursing from someone I'm sure.

Do you always talk down to everyone else? Get off your high horse. Maybe you're the most arrogant person here, but you're certainly not the smartest. I understand why you have negative rep.

For me, women's golf (or sports in general with beach vball as the exception) aren't as exciting as men's sports. Physically, I'm capable of doing what most women do in sports. Pro male athletes do things I couldn't even imagine of doing. That makes me entertained. Even if the LPGA Tour did get coverage on CBS or another major station, I'd still watch the PGA because it's more entertaining. The fact that there's little coverage doesn't prevent me from watching it.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where in my post did I say it was a mans sport? Where in my post did I say I didn't want women beating me or that I'm inferior.

I interpreted " It's a man thing and thats all there is to it!!" as, "Golf is a man thing and that's all there is to it!!" If you didn't mean golf, then what is "It" referring to?

Perhaps women's minds work differently than mens? Us men tend to let our ego's get in the way and believe in doing things ourselves, independence, etc. It's how testosterone works. Men are introverted, solitary creatures geneally speaking, compared to women.

Apparently most men would rather watch men playing sports and watch women using their other natural talents.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I just think there are too many unknown Koreans, who seem to have no personality (which may be due to a language barrier) that seem to dominate the woman's game. If the liks of Cremer, Wie, Gulbis etc started winning it would definitely jump in popularity.

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

Did you see Michelle Wie drop her second shot on a par 5, inside of 3-feet to the pin? After her opponent had come within 5 feet? That was clutch - as great a shot as any you might see on any PGA weekend.

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head.

''What's the problem with womens golf?"... there's women playing. the same thing that's wrong with women's basketball, women's soccer, basically women's anything but tennis. they're simply not as athletic. i'd give lorena ochoa 10 to one odds she couldn't hit that approach shot yang hit to seal the deal at the PGA. i'm not a misogynist or a male chauvinist, i'm just saying what everybody else is thinking. What's worse, imho, is watching the women because they look sexy swinging a golf club, and fantasizing about them swinging your own shaft. Plus, they're too slow and putt awkwardly. And they don't do daring chips, flops, pitches, etc. i speaka da truth!

I interpreted " It's a man thing and thats all there is to it!!" as, "Golf is a man thing and that's all there is to it!!" If you didn't mean golf, then what is "It" referring to?

The fact that most men don't watch womens sports is a man thing. Golf, WNBA and others. Most women don't watch the NFL or NBA. Now NASCAR they will watch. It's a woman thing.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

What year is it?

That makes no sense. It's a mens game in the sense it's something to get away from the nagging wife, relax, drink beer, and have fun.

Everybody who I have argued with posts like their wife is watching them post or something

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

So if they aren't that good does that make you awful? I'm pretty sure most of the women on the lpga would have no problem beating a local scratch player.

Don't sell yourself short. I read in a Golf Digest article a prediction that a 4 handicap can go toe to toe with an average LPGA player and come out on top. I know it's a prediction, but from the play that I've seen, it does not seem that far off. And for the record, I never said they were awful (must have been a Freudian slip, you were probably thinking that anyways! just kidding).

Anyways, yes, the putting on the LPGA is much worse, but you're overlooking the short game. I've seen way to many sub-par chips and pitches to consider them great players. And on the long game, I'm sure if someone practiced 8 hours a day as a job, they should be able to stick a few pins. This forum has turned into a feminist rant. Myself graduating from Vassar, I have seen way to much of this. Feminism isn't what it used to be. It's no longer about equality, but more of a man-hater's club. It's very secondary to the original purpose of supporting women and has erupted into an American bastardization of equality where something is entitled rather than earned, like the idea of affirmative action. Purely reverse discrimination. Myself being Chinese, I do not think that Asians are emotionless. However, the antics of Kim on the course seemed extremely inappropriate. She seemed to forget she was in a formal competition with a competitor deserving of her full respect instead of being mocked. I am also the first generation American of my family so I have some experience with the lack of attention Asians get. But in all reality, it is the lack of time and experience in the field that is really diverting their public eye, especially in golf. Only in the last 15-20 years have we seen any sign of Asians taking place in American professional sports and there will be time for them to rise into scope. I am just tired of reading all this junk being stated which tries to make men feel ashamed of being men. It is just as wrong or even more wrong to lead attacks in the reverse direction, led by spite. Grow up, take a look from the outside, and stop regurgitating another person's writings to look intellectual.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have to admit I tried and failed to watch the Solheim Cup over the weekend. I just could not get in to it and changed the channel after 15 mins or so. Of course, Gulbis, Creamer, and Wie had my attention, but even that got old after a while. Not sure what it is........

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

Don't sell yourself short. I read in a Golf Digest article a prediction that a 4 handicap can go toe to toe with an average LPGA player and come out on top. I know it's a prediction, but from the play that I've seen, it does not seem that far off. And for the record, I never said they were awful (must have been a Freudian slip, you were probably thinking that anyways! just kidding).

Your education shows here very well!! Well thought out and written!

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

This thread was never intended to be a man against woman thing. It is just an honest question.
One of the things that I see in the responses (and I appreciate all of them) is that it seems that Men vs. women sports seem to be fine in a particular setting, tennis, nascar, soccer are some that I've read. In none of these sports do women out play men. Women don't serve a tennis ball as fast, women don't generally drive a nascar vehicle as fast, and a womens soccer club wouldn't stand up to even a poor men's pro soccer team. So.... Why are we drawing a line at womens golf???? No the ladies don't drive the ball as far, they may not putt as well but most of them chip pretty damned good. The ladies are competing against other pro ladies. The men against the men. That is what I'm saying when I'm ranting about the competition being just as entertaining. This isn't a man vs. woman thing it's women vs. women and alot of them are damed Good.

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

This thread was never intended to be a man against woman thing. It is just an honest question.

Note: I did not edit the font size in this quote.

I think the fact they're "damed good" is the problem (btw a lot of them aren't). The major championship courses can be a problem though - when they only show the majors on TV they don't showcase the product properly. Can you imagine your opinion of men's golf if all they showed was the PGA, US Open and British Open? So many missed fairways and bad decisions - who is Ricky Barnes? Is he the face of the tour - he choked so badly. And Padraig's 8 on 8 - Oh man that was hard to watch. Anyway, my point is it's women against the course and for most of tournaments they show on TV at least, the course wins. Watching Ochoa, Creamer, and Kerr fumble away the US Open was a prime example.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

If the only ladies tourneys they present on TV are their majors, How do we know about all the bad decisions, missed putts, etc. Unless we are actually going to the events in person. I dont think that's happenning too much just looking at the galleries. It may be true that a 4 handicapper may be able to beat the ladies, I don't know but we aren't watching that on TV. We're watching Lorena, Paula, Natalie and all the rest. Once again, my point is the same. It's the ladies vs. the ladies, level playing field and great competition in that arena. I have to admit that I have played with the pro ladies twice and they have handed me my lunch. I guess that may be one reason why I'm so adement about ladies golf. Never said I was great and I'm not a 4 but these girls were consistantly good.

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

I think the fact they're "damed good" is the problem (btw a lot of them aren't). The major championship courses can be a problem though - when they only show the majors on TV they don't showcase the product properly. Can you imagine your opinion of men's golf if all they showed was the PGA, US Open and British Open? So many missed fairways and bad decisions ...

What are you talking about? There is an LPGA event on almost every weekend and they are not all majors.

You think a lot of them aren't very good, uh? They can probably beat you, and everyone you play with, like a rug. It's pretty obvious you don't pay attention to their tour. SubPar

If the only ladies tourneys they present on TV are their majors, How do we know about all the bad decisions, missed putts, etc. Unless we are actually going to the events in person. I dont think that's happenning too much just looking at the galleries. It may be true that a 4 handicapper may be able to beat the ladies, I don't know but we aren't watching that on TV. We're watching Lorena, Paula, Natalie and all the rest. Once again, my point is the same. It's the ladies vs. the ladies, level playing field and great competition in that arena. I have to admit that I have played with the pro ladies twice and they have handed me my lunch. I guess that may be one reason why I'm so adement about ladies golf. Never said I was great and I'm not a 4 but these girls were consistantly good.

Don't worry Duffy, you and I like and respect the LPGA women.

It has nothing to do with liking and respecting the LPGA women. Some of us don't find watching women play golf on TV entertaining. Why is that so hard to understand? Why must we be told that it is great and we need to watch when we already have and we don't like it? It has nothing to do with women or men, it has everything to do with the product on the TV is not as entertaining to some of us that other things are.

I like watching NHRA drag racing on TV. I think it is fun to watch, great entertainment. Not everyone does. I don't care. I am not going to push my opinions on other people and tell them why they should watch it and tell them that the reasons they don't watch are stupid.

Someone asked what the problems were with womens golf. We gave countless opinions. Leave it alone. You asked, we responded. Don't like it or agree with it, so what. Just let it go. Not everyone has to agree.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

What are you talking about? There is an LPGA event on almost every weekend and they are not all majors.

Note: I did edit the font in this quote.

I do watch women's golf on TV and it's not just because Laura Diaz or Jean Reynolds or Cristie Kerr or whoever is a honey. It's an interesting change of pace and golf is golf (btw on basic cable all they show is the majors and the occasional high profile event - there aren't too many of those any more apparently). I gave my opinion on why people are turning away in droves. PS. I hope they can beat the snot out me (scorewise). I suspect the worst player at the worst Div 1 college program could too - most golf fans wouldn't watch that on TV either.

Note: This thread is 5358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!