IGNORED

GPS vs Laser Rangefinder

Note: This thread is 2520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Any new information on this front?

I honestly never use my gps anymore, after a year I feel I know the courses quite well, but I'll give my .02 again.

GPS Pros:
  1. Software+dongle for windows mobile phone with blue tooth: Allows you to cheaply add software+$60 gps dongle and have full GPS on your phone.
  2. Layup planning on some software
  3. Additional features, scorecard, stats, bets
Cons:
  1. Looses signal
  2. Cost of maps can be $$$ depending on software
  3. Not quite as accurate
  4. Dedicated units feature locked.
As far as range finder, I have now played a few rounds with people in the group who have one so I have a little more experience. RF Pros:
  1. Accuracy inside 180 yards
  2. Ease of use
  3. Nice to scope hot chicks.
Cons
  1. Line of site needed
  2. Distance limited
  3. cost
In the final picture I find I don't want to carry either. Inside of 150 yards with direct line of site the range finder is quite nice. Out of the fairway on a blind par 5, trying to figure out what will give you 150 in to the pin safely the gps is better. Guessing works pretty good too.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

I actually found this blog (for better or worse) trying to make the same decision. I went with the Bushnell Pinseeker 1500.

Freaking love the thing. Distance to pin, bunkers in the fairway, front of green.

I don't know what people are saying about accuracy. The stated degree of error on the Bushnell is -/+ 1yd up to 1500yds. I have found the accuracy to be great.

No complaints, wouldn't change a thing.

My friend just gave me his Skycaddie because he never used it. Problem is he forgot his password to log on and download my home course. He has called Skycaddie a few times to try and get it corrected so he can sell it and keeps getting put on hold. We have been going back and forth now for a week or two. I demod the Pinseeker 1500 one day with my buddy, who oned the Skycaddie. HE LOVED it and bought it that day. He could care less about the Skycaddie. ANd I have a unit here I can do nothing with. It has been a pain to try to get this thing ready to sell because I want the Pinseeker 1500 ALSO...

Laser Finder ALL THE WAY, Skycaddie has been a pain for me.

Driver: Taylor Made R7 SuperQuad TP X stiff
3 wood: Taylor Made Vsteel proforce X stiff
Hybrid: Taylor Made 19* TP Project X 6.5
4-AW: Taylor Made R7TP Project X 6.5
Wedges: 56,60 Taylor Made TP y cutterPutter: Taylor Made Rosa

My friend just gave me his Skycaddie because he never used it. Problem is he forgot his password to log on and download my home course...

My iGolf has never lost the uplink connection, the rechargable batteries last a long time, the course files are stored on my PC if I ever need to reload them.

My laser range finder is very accurate to distances beyond the range of any club I have. The two together are a valuable asset to my game. SubPar

Hi SubPar!

How is the SkyCaddie with an overcast sky? Living in L.A., you may not know, with all of your sun.

I read some Amazon.com reviews on the Skycaddie II, and some reviewers siad that their units' distances floated as much as 10 yards or so if they stood near their ball for a couple of minutes. Do you get this problem from time to time?

One last question for GPS owners. Is it possible to get yardage to the center of the green from anywhere, especially a little from greenside? And is it possible to walk to the flag, mark the position on the unit, and then walk to your ball to get a distance?

Thanks in advance for your responses,

Mark :)

For those interested in rangefinders, I find the Bushnells too big (I prefer to walk when I play) So I got a Nikon. It's small enough to wear on my belt, or attach to my bag, and works very well. Sometimes I do need to use two hands to keep it steady for long distances 200+ yards.

The Callaway rangefinders are made by Nikon too, but the seem a lot more expensive.

I have not tried any of the callaway rangefinders.

Hope this helps,

-catfell
In My Bag:

Driver: Titleist 905T 10.5º
3-Wood: Titleist 904F 15º
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20ºIrons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-60GW: Mizuno MP T 51ºSW: Mizuno MP T 56ºLW: Mizuno MP T 60ºPutter: Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Hi SubPar!

I carry a range finder so if I am around 20-30 yards out I can get the right distance to the flag. I think marking and such with the GPS would be distracting for you as a player and would slow down play. These things are accurate enough from 50-300 yards out but I would not use them for greenside distances or even anything under 50 yards or so.

I notice I never get a zero reading when I get to the front or center of the green (checked it out of curiosity a few times). I think the closer you get to the target the more you fall into an area of diminishing accuracy. As for floating, I think they all do a little once you stay in one place very long. SubPar

I just bought a Nikon 500g for $200, and the thing is awesome! Its not as long as the more expensive ones, but from 220 yards in, it does a pretty good job. I would definitely recommend it for its size and price (if you can get it for around $200).

I'm just about to replace my 3 year old PDA with a smart phone that has built-in GPS. In the Spring I'm planning to get the iGolf software for it.

Let you know how that works out!

In my TM r7 Stand bag:
Driver- r11 10.5° Reg shaft

Fairway wood - r11 3 wood
Hybrids- r11 3, 4 & 5
Irons- M1 6-AW, xft 50, xft 54.12 , xft 60.08°
Still have / love my r7 CGB Max 6-PW, xft 50, xft 54.12, xft 60.08° which I keep in Myrtle Beach, Tommy Armour 855 Putter

In my TM r7 Stand bag:
Driver- r11 10.5° Reg shaft

Fairway wood - r11 3 wood
Hybrids- r11 3, 4 & 5
Irons- M1 6-AW, xft 50, xft 54.12 , xft 60.08°
Still have / love my r7 CGB Max 6-PW, xft 50, xft 54.12, xft 60.08° which I keep in Myrtle Beach, Tommy Armour 855 Putter

• 5 months later...
Hey guys i got a question. I just got into golf and was thinking about getting a gps unit to help me judge distance, it would really help with club selection. The only problem is that i dont wanna spend 400 on something that i dont need. What are the pros and cons of of GPS and rangefinders. Should i just get a rangefinder

If the commitment is not there, it's time to walk away -Larry Flynt-

I prefer GPS, but both work pretty well, just depends what you want.

GPS benefits...
-don't need line of sight
-no aiming
-don't have to have an object to aim at
-easier to get quick yardage

Rangefinder...
-yardage to almost infinite things
-no membership or subsciption or downloading
-better battery life (longer)

Also... no need to spend $300... get a CaddieII or Neo from iGolf
http://www.igolf.com/

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I would go with a GPS. Like Big stated, you don't have to aim and shoot. I played with two guys with Rangefinders and the round was at least 45 minutes, longer. Why? With the wind, they could not get an accurate reading.

It drove me, nuts.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

• Administrator
Hey guys i got a question. I just got into golf and was thinking about getting a gps unit to help me judge distance, it would really help with club selection. The only problem is that i dont wanna spend 400 on something that i dont need. What are the pros and cons of of GPS and rangefinders. Should i just get a rangefinder

Rangefinders are usually a bit more expensive.

I greatly prefer rangefinders over GPS. I think a search of these forums would do you well - this topic's been discussed several times.
I would go with a GPS. Like Big stated, you don't have to aim and shoot. I played with two guys with Rangefinders and the round was at least 45 minutes, longer. Why? With the wind, they could not get an accurate reading.

I have a REALLY hard time believing this. Did they all have Tourette Syndrome or something? I can get a yardage inside of five seconds, regardless of wind. Perhaps that's the "Pinseeker" technology, but I've never had a problem nor has anyone else I've loaned it to.

I play FASTER because I have a range finder.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a REALLY hard time believing this. Did they all have Tourette Syndrome or something? I can get a yardage inside of five seconds, regardless of wind. Perhaps that's the "Pinseeker" technology, but I've never had a problem nor has anyone else I've loaned it to.

I wished I was lying. However, it's true. At one point, I asked one of the guys if he was getting the pin reading or peeping through someone's window. My brother has the Sky Caddie and it was nothing like this.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

• Administrator
I wished I was lying. However, it's true. At one point, I asked one of the guys if he was getting the pin reading or peeping through someone's window. My brother has the Sky Caddie and it was nothing like this.

Your experience has to be the worst example of "the exception, not the rule" I've ever heard. I can't imagine being that unsteady. In any weather.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would go with GPS. Ive never had a rangefinder, nor used one but I definitely know that I wouldnt want to point and stare through a scope to get yardage. Thats my preference.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I use the iGolf GPS Caddie I.

It is very quick and easy to use and shows very accurate information on distance. You can also put in custom distances to certain hazards or landmarks.

There is also a function that will allow you to measure the distance of an individual shot or you can just subtract from the known distance and see how far you have left to the pin. You can see the distance to the front, center, back of the green in a matter of seconds.

The only downside is that it goes through batteries very quickly. I'm lucky to get a round out of a set of 2 AAs.

AL

Note: This thread is 2520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!