IGNORED

GPS vs Laser Rangefinder

Note: This thread is 2518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 3/17/2017 at 8:53 PM, Single Length Irons Guy said:

Since you've owned both a more expensive and a less expensive laser unit, do you think that it makes sense to invest in a more expensive unit or do the cheaper units work just as well?

I haven't owned an inexpensive laser unit.  But if I had to choose just one range finder between the laser (Leupold) and the GPS (Garmin G6), I'd go with the Garmin.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...

After reading several pages of post I feel the need to throw my 2 cents worth.  First off, I have a Nikon Range finder.  I love it.  But I would not knock anyone using a GPS.  I have played enough rounds with GPS users to see that they are quite effective.  I would also say the knowing the front, middle and back distances are workable. But I have seen it where the gps units yardages change some so take some time to let it settle on your position.   Much hay has been made about blind shots and range finders.  Surprisingly it is my experience that this rarely actually occurs on the courses I have played in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan,  Illinois, Louisiana, Florida, and Georgia.  I am an older golfer so I guess I have been able deal with this an old school way.  The laser is useful on the practice range.  I find that the yardage markers at the range is rarely at the exact distance.  Today the 100 yard marker i was aiming at was actually at 118. Also much hay has been made about the shakey thing. Yes, if you hold up range finder unsupported you will have drift.  If you have ever shot a scoped rifle you know what I am talking about. But in actual use it doesn't matter or bother me and drifting over the target I will get an accurate read.  My range finder shoots for 8 seconds continuous.  This is a lot of time.  I usually have the pin distance much quicker and do not use all 8.  When I do use all 8 I most likely have hit multiple targets.  The pin, the bunker, bushes, top tier of the green.  I have had a couple negative things happen. 1. fog renders  it useless. 2. I had the batteries go dead mid round once.  I now carry a spare battery.  The laser gives me confidence and speeds my play along as I shoot the yardage, pick "the club" and let her rip.  I also would also say that the laser is slightly the better of the two options

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

• iacas changed the title to GPS vs Laser Rangefinder

I had a nice compact Bushnell rangefinder that I liked to use on the range to help establish my distances. But alas, some stinking thief took it.

On course, I found the rangefinder in my hands somewhat slow to use. I use a Skycaddie GPS watch for a quick distance check. I usually have my Golflogix on my smartphone. Very helpful in giving distances to and over hazards, and, I've found, reasonably accurate.

My shotmaking is not accurate enough to demand pinpoint accuracy from the technology I use, but I find these tools useful. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

• 3 weeks later...

Ive a GPS and a laser range finder and love them both. I use the GPS for fixes on trouble that I can't see and as a confirmation if a lasered distance is looking dodgy.

Each has its strength and weakness and really at the end of the day it just comes down to what works for you. I have an old Garmin Approach G3 that is actually pretty good but thank god AA batteries cost a pound for 8 at Poundland otherwise this thing would chew through them like a fat chick at a smarties factory! 

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

9I bought the Izzo golf swammi 5000. Its the newest version of their gps. It seemed to be pretty accurate.  It will show hazards too. Both water and sand. It has a shot distance feature to let you measure how far your ball went. Very quickly updated from hole to hole

• 4 weeks later...

One thing that scares me about laser-the bad optics-I play with guys that spend a few extra seconds lasering the pin or whatever. They spend a few more extra seconds selecting the club, then give it a mighty swing, and duff it.

Bad optics. 

I just like to sneak a peek at the watch, and duff it in a less public way.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, uitar9 said:

One thing that scares me about laser-the bad optics-I play with guys that spend a few extra seconds lasering the pin or whatever. They spend a few more extra seconds selecting the club, then give it a mighty swing, and duff it.

Bad optics. 

I just like to sneak a peek at the watch, and duff it in a less public way.

YAY! Exactly my experience. Well said! -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Note: This thread is 2518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!