IGNORED

Driving range professionals....

TN94z
Note: This thread is 5339 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not saying this was the case with the two teens but someone can be a knowledgeable teacher and really struggle with their golf game. So high handicap does not always mean they don't know what they're talking about. Self application can be difficult. Vice versa, low handicap does not always mean a good teacher either. My dad is a 6 HCP and a terrible instructor.

So true. My average handicap is low 20's at the moment, but I am a really good teacher aside from what my handicap says. My uncle, a very good golfer who probably hasn't shot more than 12 over since he was 12, has taught me a lot of things that I use with great success. However, every time we go out for a round I end up fixing something he's doing wrong (usually with his driver), and what I tell him works great. Now he fixes things for me at least 5 times a round, so no bragging in that aspect though lol.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So true. My average handicap is low 20's at the moment, but I am a really good teacher aside from what my handicap says. My uncle, a very good golfer who probably hasn't shot more than 12 over since he was 12, has taught me a lot of things that I use with great success. However, every time we go out for a round I end up fixing something he's doing wrong (usually with his driver), and what I tell him works great. Now he fixes things for me at least 5 times a round, so no bragging in that aspect though lol.

You can certainly be proficient in one area and very lacking in another. I've spent a fair amount of time studying my swing and other pros. I feel like I have a decent knowledge of it. You don't want to even come near me when it comes to putting and chipping though. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

I don't think I've been approached by a 'driving range pro' in at least 10 years, although I could probably have used one today (shanked at least eight balls in a large bucket - not good - was able to fix the shank by standing closer to the ball and keeping my right elbow tucked through the contact point - usually when you stand too far off, reach, and let your elbow fly, it's shankapotomus time).

Then again, when I go to the range after work, I usually end up soaking wet (hitting balls for an hour in 90+ degree heat/humidity), shirt untucked, with a beat-up cooler with a bottle of ice water and can of snuff inside - hit a shot, spit tobacco, take a drink of water, work on stance, make sure pivot point is correct, check elbow position, etc, hit another shot. This usually keeps the 'help' away when I am working on my swing.

I try to get as far away from anyone else on the range as possible as I really don't want to be bothered when I'm hitting balls. I usually go on my lunch break between 3-4pm, when there aren't many other people there.

I find 80 reasonable, and you will too, when you remember that high school matches are 9 holes.

High school tournaments are 18 around here. Well districts and stuff like that.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There was this old dude at the range Saturday night when I was there (mainly to take a few rips with my new Mizuno driver). So this guy would hit a few line drives with whatever iron he was holding, step back, see if someone needed his expertise, and help where needed. First, he walked over to this group of three guys and a girl and gave the girl a lesson so that she could begin hitting her own line drives. Completely unsolicited. Then he walked back over to his original spot and hit another three or four lasers. At this point, I had my sand wedge out. He stands behind me for a few minutes while I assault the target pin (about 110 yards out). I'm glad I was on target while he was observing me.

I have a hard time being polite to people who offer unsolicited advice.

As I was leaving, though, he was "helping" ANOTHER girl. At this point, I was just creeped out. Dude. I applaud you for trying to pick up golf chicks half your age, but at the driving range you just come across like a dirty old man.

Keep your club in the bag.

When in my early teens, a guy walks up to me on the range, and starts giving advice -- and it was really good advice. He had a true knack for helping my swing. Later someone told me how fortunate I was that this particular fellow took an interest. Later still, after running into him and getting several "free lessons" I learned even more about him. Turns out he studied with Hogan, he had once recorded 10 rounds consecutively with his highest score being 66 -- right after some sessions with Hogan.

His career ended early. He was driving to a key tournament and badly injured his hand, rendering his thumb almost useless. So he was just a guy who loved golf and helped a lot of young guys with their game. Now, the most amazing thing is he helped, at one time or another, at least five different guys who later played on tour.

So, you never know. He could no longer hit a ball like once he obviously could, but he had a keen eye for the swing and a lot of knowledge, and he knew how to teach. Sometimes you get lucky, but I would guess the odds are not with you.

RC

What does going to the range do for you? I only go before a round to warm up so I don't pull something.

Oh...I don't know...how about being able to make adjustments on the fly during a round so you can isolate a bad shot as opposed to letting it repeat itself and ruining your round?

When in my early teens, a guy walks up to me on the range, and starts giving advice -- and it was really good advice. He had a true knack for helping my swing. Later someone told me how fortunate I was that this particular fellow took an interest. Later still, after running into him and getting several "free lessons" I learned even more about him. Turns out he studied with Hogan, he had once recorded 10 rounds consecutively with his highest score being 66 -- right after some sessions with Hogan.

The only thing with my situation was, I really doubt that a 13 year old kid would have that much experience with the swing. But I understand what you guys are saying.

Anyway, that is really a pretty cool story!!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

The only thing with my situation was, I really doubt that a 13 year old kid would have that much experience with the swing. But I understand what you guys are saying.

i certainly agree with the 13 year old not having much experience but some of us know a lot about the swing like look how many kids at 14 that are self taught that can hit the ball 280 and play to a 3 handicap. kids will surprise you i like to think that i am on a decent start to knowing about the golf swing i have only played 2 years and i am into bottom single digits. again not flaming just saying us ankle bitters can surprise you

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

High school tournaments are 18 around here. Well districts and stuff like that.

Yea the High School teams around here play 18 too. I was stuck behind them this last weekend.

I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.
Whats in my Walter Hagen stand bag.

Driver: VR Pro 9.5 Stiff

5 wood:SQ Stiff

3 Iron Hybrid:SQ Stiff Aldila Proto Vs 95-S

4-PW:VR Split Cavity Irons

SW:VR Black Satin 56

60:  CG 12

Ball:

You can always opt to "turn down" advice, because it's difficult to ignore it.

I get better every single time I go to the driving range. Except when someone who is hitting behind me tries to make a suggestion. In that case, I always feel compelled to try what they are saying and it tends to disrupt my session. That's happened twice, now. I say, "Sure, shoot, what kind of tips have you got? I could probably use them."

On the one hand, I always preach that you should accept any advice/criticism coming your way and learn to filter out what you don't need. That goes for anything. "Too much information and now I am confused" is almost never an excuse.

On the other hand, misleading or bad information has twice led to disappointing evenings at the range. I don't want to hear anymore that I don't have a good "one-piece takeaway" - I don't even want one of those.

The next time somebody's about to offer unsolicited range advice, I'm tempted to stop them and use one of many clever things I've thought of just for that scenario...
Still learning the game with:
HiBore XLS 10.5°
HiBore XLS 3W
Burner Rescue 4H 22°
CG7 4 - PWCG14 Black Pearl 52°, 56°, 60°White Hot 330 mallet

The next time somebody's about to offer unsolicited range advice, I'm tempted to stop them and use one of many clever things I've thought of just for that scenario...

C'mon, you have to tell us what you came up with. I have it easy, I play the gimp card which usually gets them to go away very fast. I'm curious how others will handle it.

You teased us just enough to get me interested.

In my Callaway Warbird X stand bag:

Callaway FT-5 , regular flex
3 Wood, TaylorMade Burner 2007, regular Flex
Hybrid, Warrior Golf 19 degreeHybrid, Callaway X 3H 21 degreeIrons - Callaway X-18 4-PWSW Cleveland CG 12 60 degree, AW Cleveland CG 12 54 degree Putter - Odyssey White Hot #2Ball -...

i certainly agree with the 13 year old not having much experience but some of us know a lot about the swing like look how many kids at 14 that are self taught that can hit the ball 280 and play to a 3 handicap. kids will surprise you i like to think that i am on a decent start to knowing about the golf swing i have only played 2 years and i am into bottom single digits. again not flaming just saying us ankle bitters can surprise you

But I think that the point you guys are missing is that this kid was really really bad! He was not hitting the ball 280 and playing to a single digit handicap.

I am not saying there aren't kids that can play. I have seen a ton of high school kids (actually played with one) that can beat me handily. I am just saying that this kid had no game yet he was giving lessons to a kid that could obviously wear him out on the course. I just thought this particular situation was funny.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Oh...I don't know...how about being able to make adjustments on the fly during a round so you can isolate a bad shot as opposed to letting it repeat itself and ruining your round?

I guess I won't ever understand why people would go to a golf course and instead of actually playing, go stand on a mat and hit 100+ balls at fictional targets "pretending" to play holes at their GC which is right behind them.

Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP60 (4-PW)
Wedges: Vokey SM 50/54/58/62
Putter: Yes! CallieBall: TM PentaHome course: DeBell Golf Club http://www.debellgolf.com/

Note: This thread is 5339 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!