IGNORED

Mickelson-Woods-Ogilvy Pairing @ PGA

ragontona
Note: This thread is 6487 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The previously three major winners are traditionally paired together for the first two rounds of the PGA Championship, I believe.

With all the underhanded jabs and barbs that Wood and Mickelson throw at each other, I wonder how awkward it's going to be out there, especially for Ogilvy. I mean, even though he IS a major champion this year, he's still definitely the third wheel in this group.

Although, and I just thought of this, Ogilvy in the same group as Mickelson should be pretty awkward too. All of us know that Ogilvy won the US Open, but there's also a consenus that Mickelson threw that one away, and Geoff was just there to pick up the scraps. (I don't agree with that notion, by the way... Ogilvy was clutch.)

Either way, it should make for some compelling television. And I'm sure those first two days, it'll seem like there's nobody else on the course in terms of tv coverage.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

• Administrator

Regardless of whether or not you agree on whether the Open was won or lost, the fact remains that Mickelson lost it... to Ogilvy. Every photo I've seen of the two has Mickelson glaring at Ogilvy or the trophy and Ogilvy kinda looking happy yet leery of Phil. I think there may be more tension there than Woods/Mickelson.

But yea, an interesting trio... Tiger will have motivation to beat Phil, Phil will have motivation to beat Ogilvy (and Tiger), and Ogilvy will have motivation to show he's not a fluke winner.

Woods, Mickelson, Ogilvy in the first two rounds, that's how I predict they'll score (better to worse).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mickelson lost that championship, although Ogilvy played well its never the same when you win a championship in the clubhouse... Phil just dropped the ball...

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Erik, so you don't think Geoff's going to thank Phil for putting him in that pairing?

I also believe that Ogilvy won the US Open by not screwing up down the stretch...and playing mistake free golf the entire tournament (no score worse than bogey all week).

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

...With all the underhanded jabs and barbs that Wood and Mickelson throw at each other, I wonder how awkward it's going to be out there, especially for Ogilvy...

IMHO this paring makes Tiger's edge even bigger. He's the one who can "on request" get into a zone and block out playing competitors w/o a blink of the eye (some PGA players actually were whining about it, that playing with Tiger in the group is like playing by themself...). The other two will for sure think about it, while TW will play his game.

Note: This thread is 6487 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!