IGNORED

My Ryder's Cup Captain's Picks

tartanjack
Note: This thread is 6488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pavin just won in Milwaukee. DiMarco did a yeoman's job at the Open. They are my two picks if they don't qualify on points. Are there two more tenacious, competitive, effective, get-it-done golfers on the American side today? I don't think so. Tom Lehman... your picks are easy.

I know J.J. Henry and he's a great "kid." But c'mon. Corey Pavin? He's like a terrier that smells blood. Gotta love it. And DiMarco seems the only player nonplussed by Woods... and forget the Euros... he'll have 'em for breakfast.

This is gonna be very interesting to watch. Come on Tom... do the right thing.

Jack Waddell
The Sand Trap .com

In My Bag (for now):TaylorMade Burner 9.5 REAX 50 stiffBobby Jones 3W, Fuji TP 26.3 stiffAdams Idea Pro 2, 3, 4 Iron hybrids, Aldila VS Proto stiffAdams Idea Pro Forged 5-PW, TT Black Gold stiffTitleist Vokey 252.08 Tour ChromeTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 58.08...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That is interesting to say the least. I definitely think DiMarco should be on the team regardless of where he finishes. He jumped all the way to 6th after his finish at Hoylake, and that puts him in pretty good shape with only three or four weeks left.

As for Corey Pavin, I don't think I would put him on the team. Any European would have a great chance at beating him in singles, although Pavin would be a decent foursomes partner. He would always be in the fairway, that's for sure. He would have to be paired with a long-iron player though.

I feel Jerry Kelly, the runner-up to Pavin in Milwaukee, would actually be the better choice here. Kelly has come close to making the teams the past couple years, and it's no secret he wants it pretty badly. He is playing good golf right now, and he is very fiery as well. I'm not a huge fan of him, but he deserves a look.

It's just crazy that DL3 and Fred Couples are both on the outside looking in right now. It would be very tough to leave those two guys off the team with their past records in the event.

It's just crazy that DL3 and Fred Couples are both on the outside looking in right now. It would be very tough to leave those two guys off the team with their past records in the event.

I always think Fred Couples shoud be on there. He is a great competitor in that type of format. He just breezes through where the pressure gets to other guys.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I would also agree that Fred Couples should get a consideration as a captain's pick. With DiMarco jumping up with his recent British Open finish he should be fine to make the team on points, I would not be surprised to see DL3 be a captains pick, he has a ton of experience and with at least 1/2 of the Ryder Cup team being rookies we'll need the veterans for sure.
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

I think Chris Demarco will qualify, otherwise tiger loves him, hes on. I would pick John Dailey for sentimental reasons if I could, he played well last year but is playing poorly this year. Freddie Couples has played pretty well this year, so hes on. D. LoveIII is just not playing well. I think Stewart Cink is the likely choice. Steady player who can get a hot putter.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I always think Fred Couples shoud be on there. He is a great competitor in that type of format. He just breezes through where the pressure gets to other guys.

cdriver,

Great minds think alike. After watching him ask for and then take down Vijay Singh on the 18th green in the Presidents Cup last year, how could you not want him on the team? As long as his back is up to it, he'd be my first pick.

• Administrator
After watching him ask for and then take down Vijay Singh on the 18th green in the Presidents Cup last year, how could you not want him on the team?

That's the thing - he's a big if. If his back locks up, that's a point we lose that we probably can't afford to lose in singles.

Corey Pavin? Whoever thinks Pavin should be on the team is smoking crack. His heyday has come and gone. He won against a weak field, barely made any putts the final day, and on a short course to boot. Forget it. I enjoyed watching him win, but be realistic - it'd be a complete waste of a captain's pick. Pavin is an assistant captain - let his bulldog tenacity shine through there. Forget David Toms. He's having a bad year. I'd pick DiMarco (but he'll make it anyway, I think). Outside of that, here are the people I'd spend picks on if they don't make it: Zach Johnson - the new "tenacity." Stewart Cink - Has finished just about 11th in every event, thus getting screwed by the current points system Bretty Quigley - Has played well in big events. Having a pretty consistent year. If Cink finishes 11th, Quigley is usually 12th. Arron Oberholser or Lucas Glover. Get some young blood in there. These guys are pretty consistent, and Arron can be streaky good.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 6488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!