IGNORED

What car for cross country golf trip?

mattrice
Note: This thread is 5332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I didn't forget to mention anything. Price didn't seem like much of an issue for a guy who can afford to "not work" (I don't know everything about him, only what this thread allows) for a full year to play the top 100 courses in America. I'm thinking that might cost a pretty penny too.

A typical Audi/VW is not as reliable as a typical Toyota, Honda, [Subaru], Ford and others. I think that was his point of fact.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 on the Audis being super unreliable in general

In my TMX stand bag:

R580XD 10.5* Stiff
'07 Burner 5 Wood 18*
'09 Burner Rescue Hybrid #3 19* Stiff 3dx Ironwood #4 Stiff Idea Tech OS 5-PW Vokey SM 52*-08 CG11 SM 58*-08 White Hot XG #2 33.5"

Whats important too you?

gas mileage?
comfort
size?
passengers?

Lexus LS400
Camry
Mercedes S500
M5
BMW 545i

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

A typical Audi/VW is not as reliable as a typical Toyota, Honda, [Subaru], Ford and others. I think that was his point of fact.

OP, as stated before, you're gonna get a ton of personal opinions. Take mine for what its worth to ya. May not be a whole lot

BTW, I love my 2 VW's. Both 1.8T getting 30+ MPG with no probs. Both can hold 2-3 sets of clubs in the trunk alone. Both over 120K too. That being said, my Jetta has a sport-tuned suspension and I would NOT recomend you take it cross country. I would in a heartbeat though. To each their own. My parents wouldn't take a VW over their Camry for anything. They did try an Accord, they've had many in the past, and the new Camry blew it away. Opinions. Preference. Personal care is what it boils down to. As for my original sugestion, I personally have never owned an Audi. Just VW's. Love mine, but some hate them. Again, for what it's worth. Maybe the Lexus RX350 is a better way to go.

9.5* Driver
3 Wood
21* 4 Hybrid
5-PW
Zebra 60* SW G-Force Putter

I also like the asian 4-door sedan idea, plenty of room, reliability, and good gas mileage

In my TMX stand bag:

R580XD 10.5* Stiff
'07 Burner 5 Wood 18*
'09 Burner Rescue Hybrid #3 19* Stiff 3dx Ironwood #4 Stiff Idea Tech OS 5-PW Vokey SM 52*-08 CG11 SM 58*-08 White Hot XG #2 33.5"

$15 to $20k?

I got a MazdaSpeed 3 and absolutely love it. I have taken long trips and get 29-32 MPG for all highway miles. I usually get 25 per normal tank. And that is pretty decent milage for a car that has 263 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque. Extremely fun car to drive and comfortable enough for really long trips. So i second the Speed 3 or Speed 6.

Driver : SQ Sumo 5000 9.5˚ VS 65 proto
3 Wood : V steel
Irons : MP-32 3-PW
Wedges : R-series 56˚ & 60˚
Putter : Tri-Force 2Ball : Pro V1x

miata jk its what I drive everywhere and I have a trailblazer that never gets used

my miata holds my clubs and thats all haul

4dx hybrid Graphite Irons
3-4 Hybrid
Pipe Putter
Titleist Pro V1...I lose enough of em
Revolver Pro 440sz

I got a MazdaSpeed 3 and absolutely love it. I have taken long trips and get 29-32 MPG for all highway miles. I usually get 25 per normal tank. And that is pretty decent milage for a car that has 263 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque. Extremely fun car to drive and comfortable enough for really long trips. So i second the Speed 3 or Speed 6.

I miss my Mazdaspeed3, I traded it in during spring for a 07' Honda Civic.

I couldn't justify putting on 20,000 miles on half a year of owning it on such a nice car. My Civic was bought with 26,000 miles and I now have 40,000 miles on it since May of 09. lols
Driver Dymo² 10.5*
Hybrid Sumo² 3H 20*
Irons Sumo SQ (4-AW)
Putter iC 2020 Putter
Utility Niblick 42*Balls ONE and C3

From his other thread and the info here it appears he wants to keep it under $20K, have it be fuel efficient and comfortable, and hold his own personal luggage and golf bag. He's going on this trip by himself and blogging the whole thing.

Matt I suggested the VW Jetta TDI in your last thread and still do. Also, a 4 cyl. Nissan Altima has tons of room and comfort and will get you about 40 mpg hwy. A 4 cyl. Camry or Accord is also not a bad option but isn't going to get 40 mpg.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

If its just you or maybe you and one other - I would go with a 3 series bmw or c class mercedez. Resonable gas mileage, luxury, and handling.

If its you and more than one - pick up a tahoe or suburban. Newer ones are very nice, and if its new enough GM has that deal on there suv's where the cylinders shut down on highway for better mileage.

EDGE stand bag
S9-1 PRO S - Matrix XCON 6
Rapture 14 degree Aldila VS
DWS Baffler 2 Hybrid Adila stiff
A7 4 hybrid USTAXIVAP1 710 5-GW KBS StiffCG14 - 54.1262.07 Vokey Spin MilledWhite Ice BladeGolf BallsBlack TP & Pro V1x

Can't go wrong with this hatchback either..

Oh how much I've miss you!

Driver Dymo² 10.5*
Hybrid Sumo² 3H 20*
Irons Sumo SQ (4-AW)
Putter iC 2020 Putter
Utility Niblick 42*Balls ONE and C3

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller A typical Audi/VW is not as reliable as a typical Toyota, Honda, [Subaru], Ford and others . I think that was his point of fact .
OP, as stated before, you're gonna get a ton of personal opinions. Take mine for what its worth to ya. May not be a whole lot

We were in the market for a new family car in 2006. We looked at Toyotas, Nissans, Fords, (not a fan of the Hondas in our price range), Beamers, Mitsubishis,

Subarus , Chevys, Suzukis, and of course, VWs. I appreciate the appeal of these cars, but the facts (JD Power, Consumer Reports, Edmunds. Driving.ca) just wouldn't allow me to pull the trigger on a VW. Dude, I realize you love your VDub (every hardcore VDubophile I've met in my life does - an appreciation for these particular German automobiles that can border on obsession) - just be sure to keep anecdotal evidence (Consumer Reports notwithstanding) in perspective. http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/aut...ble/index.html Least reliable [Small Car] Worst Score First Chevrolet Cobalt 2006 Nissan Sentra Volkswagen Jetta (5 cyl.) Chevrolet Aveo Least reliable [Family Car] Volkswagen Passat (4 cyl.)

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Quote:

what did you end up with?

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I'd go either with a large SUV so you have room for stuff and getting laid with the cart girl if you have that opportunity, or I'd go with a car built for serious driving.

Someone mentioned that Audi up above. A good pick. Or a 5- or 7- Series.

With the SUVs, I'd go with the Denali Yukon XL, personally. I love the Range Rover Supercharged, but I'm always with the sun roof open, and the sun roof on the RR is very noisy if you don't crack a window, which is a design flaw. Makes me wonder what other design flaws it has.

Don't go with a Prius or other putt putt gas saver. Those things are golf carts with sides. Your life is in jeopardy in one of those, and really, they are just silly. Someday we'll get past this "green" phase and we can all look back and giggle about how pathetic it all was.

- DN

- DN
Sun Mountain C-130 Bag - Titanium
Ping G10 Irons PW-5
Ping G10 Driver
Ping G10 21 and 24 HybridsPing G15 17 HybridScotty Newport 2 Button BackTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 52 (8), 56 (14), and 60 (4)Titleist ProV1Backspin Buddy Groove Sharpener (yes, it works great)Adidas 360 Ltd.

We were in the market for a new family car in 2006. We looked at Toyotas, Nissans, Fords, (not a fan of the Hondas in our price range), Beamers, Mitsubishis,

OP, again, you'll get a lot of opinion. What fits me may not fit anyone else. Wait, haven't I said this somewhere before? Hmmm...

Your comparing apples to oranges. I stated I love my 1.8T Jetta, which is not the new I5, its a 2002 turboed 4 cyl. Besides, I specifically recall telling him NOT to get a Jetta to go cross country, so your point is moot anyways. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed. I won't buy another VW. We have been lucky with ours, but they can get pricey to maintain. As far as Obsession, one can say the same for any manufacturer, including subaru's (which obviously needed to be bold ). I could care less what the final choice is. I'm not effected in any way. Opinion was asked for, opnion was given. I can search and find reports to back up almost ANY manufacturer. Again, OP, and hopefully for the last time, opinions are like buttholes... Test drives are your best friend. Edit:
what did you end up with?

Gonna go out on a limb here, and this is just a guess, but...Subaru?

9.5* Driver
3 Wood
21* 4 Hybrid
5-PW
Zebra 60* SW G-Force Putter

Note: This thread is 5332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!