IGNORED

I started building my first set today

Ckw200
Note: This thread is 5271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is the start of my first set of clubs, I'm very new to golfing, I just started getting into it this year. It's a shame I waited so long.
I went to the local Edwin Watts for well over 2-3 hours trying out different clubs.

I ended up getting the Ping G5 set of irons and an Adams Speedline 3W.
I really like the feel of the ping irons, It was between those or Callaway x-18's, the Pings won out, even though I didnt get a SW with the Pings but anyways, I think I'll really enjoy the G5's. and I carried them out in a Nike xtreme sport II stand bag

now I just need to let more funds build up to complete it.

If anyone has any suggestions on certain clubs I can add to this set let me know, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

- Caleb

Set is currently being built...
Speedline hybrid-FW 3W
G5 Irons 4-P

Look up the degree of your PW in your G5 set and buy a sand wedge based on that. Like if it's a 45 look for a 50 or 52. If it's a 47 look for a 52 or 54.

Sumo 10.5*
R7 Draw 15* 3W
3dx 17* 2H
Pi5 3-PW
Spin Milled Vokey 54* CG11 60* C-01

Your pw is 46*. Mine is also 46* on my ping i10s. Contrary to my signature, I am just about to sell my 54* wedge and replacing it with a 52* with more cavity back. The new one i am going to get is a Mizuno mx series Black Ni 51* wedge for reference. I am getting it bent to 52, and bent 2* upright at my local pro shop.
My set up for my wedges will then be 46, 52, 58. Some/most people prefer a 4 wedge set up i think - for example PW, GW, SW, LW. I prefer less options because i think it leads to to many choices about how to play a shot which puts be into a state of indecision and lack of commitment to the shot.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

congrats wish i could get those pings
DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

Thanks guys, yeah I plan on adding a SW soon.
I wasn't able to get a putter or driver yet. I still need to pick up the 5w as well

- Caleb

Speedline hybrid-FW 3W
G5 Irons 4-P

Thanks guys, yeah I plan on adding a SW soon.

Something you could consider: skip the driver for now. I got one just because I wanted one and it was cheap, but in all honesty I probably don't need it yet because I'm not good enough. Your 3 wood will probably be more accurate and you won't get the full benefit of driver distance since your swing is new.

You will need a putter though...

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

Something you could consider: skip the driver for now.

I concur. Get comfortable with your 3w before you step up to a driver, as drivers usually infect those concerned with distance-itis instead of good fundamentals

thanks guys, I will most likely buy the Driver last. Unless I find a really good deal on one somewhere. but I found a putter I really like, Taylormade Rossa Daytona 1, so unless i find something else I like the feel of I'll most likely be picking that up next

- Caleb

Speedline hybrid-FW 3W
G5 Irons 4-P

For what it is worth, Cwk200, I love my G5 SW 54* more than any wedge I've ever gamed.

I use it tons around the green and for 75 yard full shots.

They can be ordered by your PING dealer for really low prices, too.

Good luck getting started out. It can be intimidating and fun all at the same time.

Enjoy the learning process and save some funds for a lesson or two to really kick those new clubs into gear.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Thanks Dub! I'll have to call and ask about ordering one then. and I'll for sure be getting a lesson or two, it can only help. haha

- Caleb

Speedline hybrid-FW 3W
G5 Irons 4-P

Congrats! Have fun with them.

In my 2010 TMX Staff Bag
r9 SuperTri 9.5 Driver
r9 #3 Fairway Wood
r9 #5 Fairway wood
Burner Plus Irons (3-PW) w/ Graphite shafts 54*/60* Wedge Newport 2 Studio Select Pro V1s

09 burner 460

Forget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

Sumo2 5900 9.5, ProForce V2 stiff
Diablo 3w
Baffler TWS 3h MP57 4-pw VR wedge 52.10, 56.14 TPz 60.06 Studio Style Newport 2 SG5ProV1x

• 1 month later...
As a brand new player to the game (welcome), forget about all the mumbo about wedge lofts, gaps between, # of wedges, etc. Just get a 56* wedge and a putter and learn how to use them for now along with the rest of the bag.

Next would be a driver and/or a hybrid or something. You're going to be spending some time in the rough coming off your tee shots, would be nice to have a long club you can move through the rough such as a hybrid.

The last thing to do would be to complete the wedges.

Get in a lesson or a class or something now before you start developing bad habits.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

I disagree strongly. The wedges are among the most important clubs in your bag, well in other folks bags. Ha ha.. Get a set of wedges now, as you will in the near future either way. Practice with them, spend time at the range, talk to them, etc.. as these clubs will shave strokes off your game faster than any club in your bag. Get a Dave Pelz short game book, perhaps a few instructional DVD (Phil Mickelson's new dvd set is awesome), and enjoy learning how to play golf. But do it with a nice set of wedges and a putter. This is where you will eventually put your focus if you don't do it now. Link below to the Cleveland 588 DSG wedge set I got brand new on Ebay from a golf shop in California. Great deal and top shelf wedges with tons of feel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CLEVELAND-58...item2ea8f1c7ac

I do agree 100% with the above suggestion to get some lessons now before you start bad habits. Trust me, they are HARD to get rid of. Take a few lessons now and at a bare minimum, get started off with some solid fundamentals. And in the near future once you get going a bit, get custom fitted. Wish someone would have told me this 20 years ago.

The gap between 3-wood and 4-iron is huge. Don't worry about a 5-wood right now; look for a 3-hybrid or 7-wood to split the difference.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Note: This thread is 5271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!