IGNORED

Does trajectory affect distance?

Note: This thread is 5312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have noticed that the trajectory with the True Temper Dynalite SL shafts (stiff) that came with my new irons is very high. It's not really bothering me even though I would prefer a more medium trajectory. But I was wondering if higher trajectory means less distance??
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

Trajectory does affect distance, but that does not necessarily mean that you will hit these shorter by any meaningful distance. Most players that play on firmer greens prefer the higher ball flight to hold greens.

But if you are looking for obtimizing trajectory with distance...a medium-more peircing trajectory is definitely what you should be looking for. You may want to look for a shaft with a lower ball flight - like Rifle Flighted or Project X Flighted.

In My University of Kentucky Bag:

R9 460
R9 T3
TP Rescue 17, 21 degree R7 TP 3-PW W/ Project X 6.0 Rac Z TP Wedges 50, 54, 58 Rife Two Bar Hybrid Mallet TP Black Pro V1

higher trajectory can mean longer carry but lower trajectory can mean more roll. for example trevor immelman has higher lofts in his lower irons because he can carry the ball further and so he doesn't lose any distance.

higher trajectory can mean longer carry but lower trajectory means more roll. trevor immelman has weaker lofts on his 3 and 4 iron because he keeps the same distance through higher lofts and longer carry.

• Administrator
It can, but it doesn't affect it as much as a lot of people like to think it does.

For example, with the most extreme club in the bag (the driver), I hit the ball a certain distance. On the 10th hole at Lake View I carry a bunch of trees, so I hit the ball higher. I lose a few yards in roll but I gain them in carry.

Punched 8-irons can come out as low as a high 3-iron, but will still go about the same distance as a middle- or high-loft 8I sometimes.

Depends on conditions, how much spin you put on the ball, the kind of ball you play, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have noticed with my new irons that the ball flight is much higher than my previous irons (X14) but I don't think the distance is affected much. Also since the greens at my club are crap, the higher trajectory is helping me much more; the ball just stops dead on contact. I really like the trajectory, the only let down is that medium all flight looks more "professional" and pleasing to the eye.
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

If the higher trajectory is helping you, why would you want to hit it lower because it "looks better"?? The irons you are using are somewhat designed to get shots up, and that should help you keeping shots from running off the green.

:tmade: 09 Burner
:cobra: Speed LD F 3 wood
:cobra: Baffler 20 degree hybrid
:cobra: Baffler TWS 23 hy
:ping: G15 5-UW
:snake_eyes: 56 deg SW 
:snake_eyes: 60 - 12 wedge  
:scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

If the higher trajectory is helping you, why would you want to hit it lower because it "looks better"?? The irons you are using are somewhat designed to get shots up, and that should help you keeping shots from running off the green.

While I agree with what you're saying, there are benefits to a lower shot. I personally want to be more consistent with hitting a lower shot in order to have a more penetrating shot on windy days, so that the wind doesn't take me as far off line as I usually am when my high shots get caught and end up 20 ft. to the side of the green. You're right though, it's going to be a little tougher with the MX-950s, but it can be done. Different shafts may help.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

The MX950 ranks as Conventional for the Matlby Playability Factor (MPF = 535). The MFP puts it just below the Game Improvement Category. Thus, the clubhead itself gives the ball moderate - not high - trajectory.

Dynalite Gold SL shafts - all flexes - give a high trajectory (low kickpoint). See TT website:
http://www.truetemper.com/golf/produ...&products;_id=7

Dynamic Gold SL shafts, on the other hand, give a low trajectory.

As others have said, don't worry about losing much distance. The high trajectory makes for softer landings on firm greens. Might be a problem, however, on windy days.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

three words......... yes it does

Forget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

Sumo2 5900 9.5, ProForce V2 stiff
Diablo 3w
Baffler TWS 3h MP57 4-pw VR wedge 52.10, 56.14 TPz 60.06 Studio Style Newport 2 SG5ProV1x

Note: This thread is 5312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!