IGNORED

How Much are your Balls Worth?

Note: This thread is 5027 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How much do you pay for a dozen balls?

• Less than $10
    • $10 to $20
    • $20 to $30
    • $30 to $40
    • $40 and Up

the golf ball is just as important as your clubs... its part mental part reality. I can't play the ProV1 because its so soft my spin rates go way up, hence why I play the ProV1x... but to take golf seriously and use cheap balls is a contridiction to the game...

if you don't lose balls then make the investment into a 3 piece ball

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just started using Titleist NXT Tour at $24/dz. purchased at International Golf Discount in VA Beach, VA. Very happy with them.

The Angry Golfer

Clubs- Callaway X20

Putter- White Steel,2-BALL Center- shafted Ball- Soft Feel

I get those "MINT" condition balls off of ebay...usually works out to be $20 a dozen (after shipping) for ProV1's and Nike Platinums....most of them come looking brand new as well so I'm not complaining....

Driver: Dual Point 9*
Woods: Dual Point 3-wood, T-40 5-wood
Irons: r7 TP's
Wedges: RAC TP Black 52/56/60
Putter: White Steel

I decided to try out a less expensive ball today (actually, two different balls)... the Bridgestone e5 and the Srixon AD333. The Srixons go for about $20, and the Bridgestones go for about $25.

Shot well today, but here are some of my impressions:

Neither of these balls feel great around the greens, though the Bridgestone was definitely more well-behaved. The Srixon wanted to jump off the wedge when trying to skip it up onto the green. The Bridgestone seemed to check up a little better, but neither compares to the ProV1's or BlackMax's I usually play. I didn't care for the feel of either ball off the putter... they felt... I don't know... hollow? Both rolled true though, and I finished the day with only 31 putts, which ain't bad for me.

Off the tee, I actually liked 'em both, but for different reasons. Both felt pretty good off the driver, with the edge going to the AD333 for me. Both went a long, long way. Popped a three-biller with the e5, and a 285 (into the wind) with the AD333. I faded the ball (my natural shape) better with the e5, but the AD333 stayed on line better when I got sloppy with my swing.

Speaking of which, neither ball is great in the wind, as they both launch pretty high and tend to balloon. Edge definitely goes to premium balls in this respect. Had a SW balloon on me from 105 out with the AD333... ended up landing around 80 yards. Annoying. I had a 140 yard par 3 that I usually hit with 9 iron, into the wind with the e5 it went about 125. Needed an 8 iron to get it there.

But you know what? I've been pretty erratic all year, and losing ProV1's and BlackMax's in the junk has really stretched the budget. I'm thinking I might just put both of these into play this year. I kinda dig 'em, even with their shortcomings.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

I tend to drop 43 on ProV1x's every now and then, I really ride a ball until its beyond playable...

I'm lucky enough to live near a ritzy private course where members all play 3 piece performace balls and never bother looking for their shanks... get a backpack, few hours in the woods and a little elbow grease and you have some nice relatively new balls

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

• 2 weeks later...

$36-40 for Pro V1x at either Golf Galaxy or Nevada Bob's. Last dozen @ Bob's was $39.99 "sale" price. Guess what the "retail" price was? $66!

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pro v1's, and Bridgestones are $40+ around here and there is no substituite so thats what i pay

My Bag

Driver- Titleist 907 D2 (10.5°), Mitsubishi Diamana BlueBoard
4 Wood- Nickent 3DX Pro (14°), Accuflex Icon
Hybrid- Nickent 3DX (17°), True Temper S300Irons (3 to W)- PING I3 Blades, True Temper S30056°- Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, True Temper S30060°- Cleveland 900 Gunmetal, True...

• 1 month later...
I use Callaway HX Tour - a great wind ball for out here in Las Vegas with plenty of distance too. Great control around the greens.

Last paid 35.99 as a member at GolfGalaxy with a $2 coupon - down to 33.99!

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

I typically pay 39.99 a dozen for HX.Tours plus tax. That puts me over the 40.00 mark so I voted as such.

Konrad,

I don't buy used golf balls mainly because it's the same arguement as I was having with someone about knockoff clubs; that being said, I don't ever really have to worry or make comparisons about quality or consistency when I'm taking them out of the box myself.
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

• Administrator
I buy used golf balls. Why? Because paying 4 or 3 dollars a ball is stupid, and no one I know can even tell that my golf balls in my bag are used. Even if they hit them, they can't tell.

Next time, phrase it as "I feel that paying 4 or 3 dollars a ball is stupid." The way you wrote it, you called everyone who buys new balls stupid.

And, as SuSponte has already said, there are benefits to buying new balls. I always buy new balls and give old ones away or put them in the shag bag. Maybe it's a confidence thing. Maybe it's a performance thing. Maybe I don't like having to wonder whether I'll get lines or other markings on my balls. Maybe it's something else. There are reasons to buy new balls. "Stupidity" is rarely one of them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Heh. Most of those golf balls have been hit twice or three times. Believe me, if I thought that it affected anything, I wouldn't buy them. The only person who might notice a difference is the professionals. As soon as you hit a golf ball once, it's used. Do you also switch golf balls every three holes because it might be "worn" out? I doubt it. And, if you do, you're rich enough to not care anyways

i usually play either pro-v1, or bridgestone b330-s, or bridgestone e5. but since i work at a golf store i get them all at cost... which is really cheap...
Driver: Titleist 983k 9.5 Fujikura Pro 95 Stiff
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel Stiff Flex
Hybrids: 2 & 3 Tour Edge Iron Woods X-Stiff Steel
Irons: 4-PW Tour Edge Progressive Irons X-Stiff Steel
Wedges: Taylor Made Fe2O3 56, Cleveland Tour Action 588 60 Low BouncePutter: Ping G5i UG-LE Ball: Bridgestone...

Just recently switched from pro v1 to pro v1x after extensive launch monitor and range testing. I always was led to believe that you had to have extremely high swing and ball speed to use the x model but found out thru proper testing that it was all b.s. My driver swingspeed is only 101 mph average and the x model has helped me decress my handicap by 1.2 strokes.
The x model does feel a little harder but seems to help tighten dispersion and still holds greens. Am going to test a ust frequency filtered putter shaft to see if I can get a softer feeling off the putter face. Great ball for my game but the competition is so close these days it's hard to say that one ball is any better then the next. My opinion and advice would be to test the balls your interested in on a launch monitor and on the range and use what fits your game best regardless of price.

Titleist 915 D-2 9,5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist 915H 18*

Mizuno MP-4 3-PW

Mizuno MP 54* & 60*

Yes Pippi Putter

• 3 months later...
When I get a dozen I get Callaway HX Tour's for around $39.99. But most of the time I just get 3 balls for about $15, and then when I lose them I get another 3. I think I've only ever got a dozen Callaway's once. Anyway great quality balls, especially for the winter, the roll they get is amazing for the winter.
Woods: Macgregor
Irons: King Cobra
Wedges: King Cobra
Putter: Nike

i have become to dependent on new pro v1's... if i use anything else i feel like im not getting enough spin or distance or something haha... its all mental probably anyway... but yeah i usualy buy a dozen and when i run out back to another dozen for about 40 bucks.

Titleist 905R 8.5 Degree // Stiff
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 16 Degree// Stiff
Titleist 690.CB// PW-3 Rifle Flighted 6.5
Titleist Spin-Milled 56 Degree
Titleist Spin-Milled 60 Degree

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

I love the TP Red.. I also used the Pro v1 and the nike but the that TP red is great just bought 6 doz so I dont think I will be buying for next season..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

Note: This thread is 5027 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!