IGNORED

I'm wierd I think

Ferg
Note: This thread is 5299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently got into golf this year. I had an old set of Walter Hagen "international" irons that I got from a buddy when he got his new clubs. Needless to say they are either blades or musclebacks and quite old. After I played I went and got some Ping G10's. The other day I went to the driving range and took the 3,4,5 iron from the hagens just to see how I could hit with them, since they are technically for a better player to hit well.

I started with the G10's and couldn't hit them for anything. hitting the heel and sending the ball out to my right or topping it. I decided I'd try the Hagen's and was connecting very well with them.

Not sure if it was just a fluke or what. I think one problem may be that I've been hitting the yellow foam balls in my back yard with the hagen's for practice. The problem there is that the foam ball sits high up in the grass like its on a tee. I wonder if I got used to not bending down as much to hit with my iron, so when I went to the range to hit normal balls, I was topping them due to not staying down.

Anyone else have this happen before?

Another thing, I now know what people mean when they say the small topline is nice. The Hagen's were more confident to look at. The G10's just seem so chunky in comparison.

In my bag
Burner 10.5* reg
3h & 4-P S57
Wedges: 56* CCI and 60* SV Tour
DF 960

its very very normal to not be able to hit a new club(s) you just got, especially someone at your high of handicap (no offence)

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

its very very normal to not be able to hit a new club(s) you just got, especially someone at your high of handicap (no offence)

None taken. I've played 3 times so i'm not worried. It just feels wierd having so much sole on the bottom of the club, I think I feel like I won't be able to hit it at all or something. Who knows. I'll just say it was a bad day and not worry about it. lol.

In my bag
Burner 10.5* reg
3h & 4-P S57
DF 960

Keep hitting your G10's at the range. You'll be hitting them well in no time if you can hit the WH clubs.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

I wasn't thinking about getting rid of them or anything, I just found it weird that I was hitting the Hagen's better seeing as how they are the muscleback style or whatever.

I really just picked a bad time to get into golf being that it is the end of the season here in Indiana. Hopefully I'll make it out a couple times before the snow.

I love the pings, I'm just anxious to feel confident with them.

In my bag
Burner 10.5* reg
3h & 4-P S57
DF 960

dont give up on the g10s , make sure they are fitted properly and keep your head down......practice practice practice

Forget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

Sumo2 5900 9.5, ProForce V2 stiff
Diablo 3w
Baffler TWS 3h MP57 4-pw VR wedge 52.10, 56.14 TPz 60.06 Studio Style Newport 2 SG5ProV1x

You should hopefully manage I got a Taylormade R9 460 earlier this year and I had a PING G2 and I can't hit my R9 great yet not as good as the PING but after perserverence It should pay off

Not sure if it was just a fluke or what. I think one problem may be that I've been hitting the yellow foam balls in my back yard with the hagen's for practice. The problem there is that the foam ball sits high up in the grass like its on a tee. I wonder if I got used to not bending down as much to hit with my iron, so when I went to the range to hit normal balls, I was topping them due to not staying down.

If that WERE the case, you would not be hitting down on the Hagen irons when you got to the range.

Golf is played largely between the ears and if you think you can hit a club the odds are better that you will. That said, if there is anyway you can practice somewhere on a grass range or grass field it would be far preferable than practicing iron shots off the mat. Iron shots need to be hit so that you strike the ball and then take your divot. That shot is not available to you hitting off mats. Thus when you get to the golf course you may find yourself topping the ball or hitting it thin. Some will argue that point saying that they crush down and through the mats and I have three words for them ... 'repetitive stress injury.'

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

Ping has a good fitting process. little color coded dots. make sure you're set up right there first. if you are, just practice with them. you'll get it. they have a huge offset and it sounds like your older clubs might not have had that. that alone can require a little bit of calibrating.

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

Ping has a good fitting process. little color coded dots. make sure you're set up right there first. if you are, just practice with them. you'll get it. they have a huge offset and it sounds like your older clubs might not have had that. that alone can require a little bit of calibrating.

This comment brings another question. About the fitting process. I bought a set of pings off the display rack because they were deeply discounted (since they were display). Based on the online measurement chart, I should be black dot and +1/2" length. 6'3" tall and wrist was 34" from floor I think.

Will this greatly affect me? Could I benefit from getting new grips that are made for +1/2"? Thanks for everyones help.

In my bag
Burner 10.5* reg
3h & 4-P S57
DF 960

Note: This thread is 5299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!