IGNORED

cold balls are short

FHopper
Note: This thread is 5307 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm no physics expert but I believe the ball flying shorter in the cold is also effected by the actual air temperature as it flies and not just the ball compressing. Colder air is heavier, thus harder for the ball to cut through. So a softer ball might compress slightly more in the cold but will still fly shorter in 30-50 degrees, compared to 70-90 degrees.

I was just about to post the same thing. As any gas cools, it becomes more dense (thicker). The force acting upon the ball is: Drag Force = 0.5 * Drag Coefficient * Density of gas * (Velocity)^2 * Cross-sectional Area If you take two shots, one in hot weather and one in cold weather, everything is kept constant except for the density of the air. As density rises, so does the drag exerted on the ball. Since air becomes more dense in colder temperatures, the ball won't travel as far in cold weather. I know there are many, many different factors that go into how far a ball flies as well as other factors that are negatively affected by cold weather, but this aspect is one of the major factors.

I was just about to post the same thing.

Yep, but as it's not controllable (other than by staying home), what's the point?

I notice someone selling this golf ball warmer ... http://www.intheholegolf.com/Merchan...duct_Code=BNBH It just seems to be a way to sell an overpriced case warmed by air-activated hand warmers. So, I'm just going to put a hand warmer into one of those soft-shell sunglass cases and give that a try. Mine can easily store three golf balls. I don't normally play in the cold, but it might be interesting to see if it even helps on a 50 degree day. I sometimes play with my in-laws on the day after Thanksgiving when (given the year) a mishit iron can be painful (in more ways than one).

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

I live in Texas, so my balls are hot all year round.

I just recently moved to Fort Smith, AR from Houston, and the one thing that struck me since leaving Texas is how we never had any "seasons" back in Houston. It's like it's 70+ degrees outside year round except for 3 or 4 weeks where it was a high in the 50's. I never really had to account for yardage loss from temperature changes until I moved. PS: HOOK 'EM

After calculating drag pressure, air density at different temperatures and altitudes and researching the drag coefficient on the golf ball ~.3-.4 oh and finding the radius 'cross section' and doing all kinds of ridiculous conversions I said f'it and found:

That you lose about 5 yards of distance for 36 degrees in temperature difference which is a pretty extreme temp difference for a small amount of distance loss.

Link

After calculating drag pressure, air density at different temperatures and altitudes and researching the drag coefficient on the golf ball ~.3-.4 oh and finding the radius 'cross section' and doing all kinds of ridiculous conversions I said f'it and found:

Which means just hit one more club.

I just recently moved to Fort Smith, AR from Houston, and the one thing that struck me since leaving Texas is how we never had any "seasons" back in Houston. It's like it's 70+ degrees outside year round except for 3 or 4 weeks where it was a high in the 50's. I never really had to account for yardage loss from temperature changes until I moved.

Oh gaawwd--you're a t-sip? Haha yep, College Station is close enough to Houston so we can easily relate. Although, this TU thing you PS'd ain't working.

BEAT THE HELL OUTTA' TU!!!

In my bag

907 D2 Driver
904 F2 3 & 5 Wood
ZM Forged 4-9 Irons wedges 52 Spin Milled 48, 56, 60 Newport 2 putter 35"

Not sure if I got what you meant. Is prior until you reach the course and before from you reach it?

The quoted portion had it clearer: it's not allowed to warm it *during* the round. It's fine to warm it *before* or *prior to* the round.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I did not know Texas A&M; played Trinity University... you guys must be adding some softer teams to your schedule.

Best Wishes and regards from a graduate of The University (UT).

RC

I did not know Texas A&M; played Trinity University... you guys must be adding some softer teams to your schedule.

We don't play Trinity University? Haha and we need softer teams because we absolutely suck. Besides, TU still has to come and play in Kyle Field which is never an easy thing Can I get a 11-1 WHOOP! Upset from fellow ags? P.S. Who won the NCAA National Championship in Golf this past season? WHOOOOOOOPPPP!!!!

In my bag

907 D2 Driver
904 F2 3 & 5 Wood
ZM Forged 4-9 Irons wedges 52 Spin Milled 48, 56, 60 Newport 2 putter 35"

I was just about to post the same thing.

LOL,,,I knew there had to be a Physics Guy here somewhere that could explain it with math! Thanks!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

The quoted portion had it clearer: it's not allowed to warm it *during* the round. It's fine to warm it *before* or *prior to* the round.

The quoted part was OK, but this one made no sense:

You cannot use hand warmers or any other

Prior = before

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The quoted part was OK, but this one made no sense:

Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Good call on the rule.

yeah, i reread that after it was too late to edit. No idea how my fingers typed that. I was meaning before and during, obviously.

So just for the hell of it, the next time I play in cold weather I'm going to pre-soak a couple of balls in HOT water (not boiling, but too hot to drink) for a couple of hours - to see if I can noticeably hit them longer than a colder ball.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

So just for the hell of it, the next time I play in cold weather I'm going to pre-soak a couple of balls in HOT water (not boiling, but too hot to drink) for a couple of hours - to see if I can noticeably hit them longer than a colder ball.

I was thinking of putting some in some water in my electric skillet at about 170, letting my balls swim around in there for a few hours then wrapping them in a towel and putting them back in my bag before I go out next time to see what happens. If nothing else I should be able to use them as hand warmers.

In my Hoofer Bag:
9 degree Burner '09
975F 14.5 degree 3 wood
MP 52 2-5 Iron
MP 62 6-PWCleveland 588 Gap and Sand Wedge IC 20-10Low Round: 68 The Senator Golf Course Robert Trent Jones Prattville, Alabama

I also notice a drop in distance in the winter. Apart from the physics of the colder air and the lack of compression of a denser golf ball, I can't swing as freely (and thus not as fast) when I am wearing three layers as opposed to just one.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

I also notice a drop in distance in the winter. Apart from the physics of the colder air and the lack of compression of a denser golf ball, I can't swing as freely (and thus not as fast) when I am wearing three layers as opposed to just one.

I think thats a great point as well. I try to wear short sleeve shirts for as long as possible. Last Sunday when it was in the mid 40's I wore a roomy fleece over my short sleeve shirt and I was comfortable but I did feel my swing was ever so slightly restricted. Any colder and I start wearing thermals which makes it feel even a little more restricted no matter how roomy or loose they are. Sometimes I've just put on some thermal underwear and my rainsuit over that and that works pretty good. Whatever it takes to extend the season! :)

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Note: This thread is 5307 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!