IGNORED

cold balls are short

FHopper
Note: This thread is 5294 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had always heard about cold weather effects but thought the new Soft balls would make it irrelevant. I played at 42* this morning and the club felt like it was full of foam and the balls felt like rocks.
Nike soft feel
Srixon soft feel
Mojo

i guess I was surprised that cold is still an issue. When I was young people used "Jone" heaters, do things like that still exist?

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

playing a low compression ball like the Lady Precept helps.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

put a spare ball in your pocket.

Also helps in the uh oh I cant find my ball... *drop* oh there it is!

In my
Extreme Sport bag:
FTiq 10° Stiff Flex Driver
906F4 Fairway 15.5°
SQ 3/5i Hybrids 21°/26° AP1 S300 4-W SV Tour 54° Vokey Oil Can 58° Nike iC 20-10A Blade Putter"The only Pro-V that I use is my shampoo." - Me

The range at my home course installed a heater in the ball dispenser; it is great. Stops the balls from feeling like rocks when things get cold.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

You could put hand warmers in your pocket and warm your balls that way.

In my bag.
Driver-Adams 9.5
3 wood-Adams
5 wood- Wilson Head Speed
6-PW-Wilson Head Speed 3-5-Hybrid-Nike SQ2 Clone SW-Tour Edge Soft cast LW-Maxfli Black Max Froged Putter-Crossfire

You could put hand warmers in your pocket and warm your balls that way.

That's what I was going to say, but for some reason I lol'd hardcore at this.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

I noticed that as well, just go one club more in colder temps, guess the ball is harder to compress in cold weather so it doesnt travel as far. I a dozen pink ladies spalding golf balls that I got for free recently, might use some of them if its in the low 40's or colder(like today).

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

I found exactly the same, this is my first year playing and this was my first time out with temps in the 40s. I seemed to lose 20yds off the tee, but oddly my irons were not really effected. I was playing a B330 (keep finding them in the bag) and an NXT Extreme. I'll dig through the used ball bin for some softer balls for winter use.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

So the softer the ball the less it will be affected by the cold distance wise?

I went out and bought some rock flite's today thinking they would help out with the distance loss, guess my thinking was backwards.

Interesting RULE on this:

You cannot use hand warmers or any other artificial device to warm your ball before the round. But you ARE ALLOWED to artificially warm the ball prior to the round.
14-3/13.5 Golf Ball Artificially Warmed Q. Is the use of a golf ball that was purposely warmed during a stipulated round with a golf ball warmer, hand warmer or any such device a breach of Rule 14-3? A. Yes. Use of a ball that has been purposely warmed during a stipulated round with an artificial device constitutes a breach of Rule 14-3. However, it would not be a breach of Rule 14-3 to use a ball that was artificially warmed prior to the stipulated round. (Revised)

source link

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I'm no physics expert but I believe the ball flying shorter in the cold is also effected by the actual air temperature as it flies and not just the ball compressing. Colder air is heavier, thus harder for the ball to cut through. So a softer ball might compress slightly more in the cold but will still fly shorter in 30-50 degrees, compared to 70-90 degrees.

I played 9 holes today in 45 degree temperatures and the ball(Taylormade Red) was compressing pretty well. I lost about 10-15 yards on my Driver and about 5-8 yards on my irons. I hit one extra club on two or three holes but reached the green on the others with pretty much the same clubs I've hit all year.

I think when you get below 40 degrees it has more of an effect with ball compression and you really start losing a lot of distance.
Either way, I'm sure a softer ball will feel better in the cold, especially on mishits.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Interesting RULE on this:

Good call on the rule. (I wondered a bit about before vs. prior, but then figured out what you meant)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure if I got what you meant. Is prior until you reach the course and before from you reach it?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've seen several studies on the web on this. I though I remember that it takes roughly six hours for a ball to reach ambient temp. I played a par 3 course yesterday and it was in the 40's. My balls were inside all night. I didn't notice a considerable drop off in distance.

One of my locals ranges heats their balls during the winter. They've always said they'll give you a more true distance during the cold months. They've now installed these Trackman bays. They said they're pretty interested in seeing some real data to back this up.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Note: This thread is 5294 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!