IGNORED

Golf Paradise?

PrairieParson
Note: This thread is 2174 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As I am getting closer to retirement, I am looking for a place to retire that has decent affordable golf available. Affordable for me would be under $25 dollars a round. There are some cities/ counties that have nice public courses in this price range. Both Madison and Milwaukee Wi. have nice public golf courses, as well as many nice privately owned but public courses in the area. Amarillo Texas has 4 well maintained public courses.

Does anyone have a recommendation of similar areas in the south, which would allow for a longer golf season?

PrairieParson
From Lubbock, Texas: the Heart of Flyover Country.
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons
Ball: White, mostly round and lots of dimplesScores this year: 78

have you ever thought about volunteering as a marshall or starter? i know alot of retirees that do that an play alot of golf for free...
id check out the real estate market on the internet in an area that is abundant with courses/houses in your price range... also in an all year golf weather area
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Where I live the golf courses are in good shape, I can play all year round and it costs $10 for twilight and $8 for super twilight walking. If you walk you can pay $125/month for unlimited golf. Another nearby course is located in a retirement community. It has golf for $29 per month. You pay $8/round for a cart and you also get all the range balls you can hit.
This is in Victorville and Apple Valley California. The only bad part is that once you get off the course, in Victorville the crime is real high and the city council is very incompetent

Florida. Jacksonville says a bit cooler that Tampa and you can get mid day tee times in either city for under $30. I personally think that there are better courses in Jax than Tampa, plus the city is much more laid back. Plus you have year round golf.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As I am getting closer to retirement, I am looking for a place to retire that has decent affordable golf available. Affordable for me would be under $25 dollars a round. There are some cities/ counties that have nice public courses in this price range. Both Madison and Milwaukee Wi. have nice public golf courses, as well as many nice privately owned but public courses in the area. Amarillo Texas has 4 well maintained public courses.

Central Florida-Northeast Orlando. Golfnow.com is your friend. Mayfair is 15.00 a round and I play the 11.00 round occassionally (includes cart). Heck, LPGA is 21.00 in the afternoons on the weekend. Check it out with zip 32714 and the Northeast has the best deals.

If considering memberships: Rolling Hills weekday only membership is 200 and includes cart. Errol Estates is 250 or so per month for 6 months, for the entire family and is full boat, including pool, tennis, etc! Several are 2500 a year including cart. Many places have waived the iniation fee.

In the bag:
Driver: Rapture V2, 9 degree, stiff shaft
Fairway Woods: X-Hot 3 wood
Hybrid: 3H
Irons: J36 PC 4-PW Project X 6.0 Shafts, FlightedWedges: CG14, 50 54 and 58 degree Putter: Guerin Rife 2 Bar with Winn grip B330S Pro V1x

Austin, TX is a beautiful city.

City course memberships for seniors are as low as $430 per year, plus only $2 surcharge every time you play. But if you want to ride... carts run a lot at $12.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

Does anyone have a recommendation of similar areas in the south, which would allow for a longer golf season?

Define "The South". I'm pretty sure that the Phoenix/Scottsdale (AZ) area has great resident rates - I looked it up recently. I wish I could remember where that page is. And the weather is beautiful.

Typical liberal society. Low crime here in NC because people know that anyone can legally have a gun on them to defend themselves and their property, the way THINGS WERE MEANT TO BE!

Can we keep politics on the politics threads, please?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Typical liberal society. Low crime here in NC because people know that anyone can legally have a gun on them to defend themselves and their property, the way THINGS WERE MEANT TO BE!

The violent crime rate in NC was exactly the same as in the US overall in 2007, and only about half a percent lower than in CA, which has an urban population more than double the entire population of NC.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

If the Southern Hemisphere isn't too far south for you, you could always more here to New Zealand . You can golf all year round and the golf is pretty dirt cheap compared to the U.S., from what I can tell. Joining a club won't set you back more than $700 or so for the vast majority of clubs (that's unlimited golf with no food minimums or anything like that) and green fees rarely get above $30 US. Second highest rate of golf courses per capita in the world doesn't hurt. People seem to think it's a pretty place to look at too.

I would recommend The Villages. It is just north of Orlando, Fl.

www.thevillages.com

Has quite a few courses.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

In my bag:

Driver: Taylormade BurnerIrons: Fusion 5-AwHybrids: Idea 3i/17 deg-4i/21 degPutter: Never Compromise VoodooBall: Whatever I find, currently TP Black

If the Southern Hemisphere isn't too far south for you, you could always more here to New Zealand

Yes but aren't most bugs in New Zealand deadly?

Ideal situation is you golf in Michigan during the summer and Florida in the winter. Growing up in Tampa, I never understood why I always saw so many snow birds. After living in Michigan for five years, now I know.
  • Like 2

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

If i would want to play yearlong i would have second thoughts about Florida - in the summer that is. Isnt it way too hot and humid during the summer months to play golf, unless you are an earlybird, play 18 in the morning and call it a day?

Is there actually such a place where you can golf yearlong in reasonable temperatures? Hawaii should have pretty stable conditions or, how about the humidity?

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Move to the dominican republic. Safe, cheap. Lots of world class golf course, lots of world class women.

If i would want to play yearlong i would have second thoughts about Florida - in the summer that is. Isnt it way too hot and humid during the summer months to play golf, unless you are an earlybird, play 18 in the morning and call it a day?

Depends on how much the heat bothers you. Ideally you play early morning but playing in the heat of the day is not bad either. As long as you drink plenty of fluids, you're fine. Walking can be out of the question though.

Funny thing about FL is it's cheaper to golf in the summer than winter.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Funny thing about FL is it's cheaper to golf in the summer than winter.

Of course it is - i know a guy who just retired down there, but during summer he has no intention of staying and playing golf there and moves to more moderate climates. Thats true for a lot of retirees who can afford it - Florida during Fall/Winter/Spring is splendid, but during summer they know a better place to be - and that makes golf cheaper during summer. But thats true for every golf region with a hot summer climate.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

move to texas or somewhere down here.. we have some nice courses that are cheap. and you get to play year round golf..(if you can handle the summer heat coming from the north)

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

Dallas/Ft. Worth has so many affordable public golf courses. I'd say you can play comfortably 300 days a year. July/August you should play in the early morning. January/February can have some prolonged freezing cold snaps every three years or so.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

You want golf paradise? Move to Alabama and play the RTJ courses. Yearly memberships are incredibly affordable and the courses are hands down, some of the best I have ever played. This is coming from a guy who was born, raised, lives, and has played a lot of golf in Texas. Yep, that's where i'm moving--Alabama.

• Like 1

In my bag

907 D2 Driver
904 F2 3 & 5 Wood
ZM Forged 4-9 Irons wedges 52 Spin Milled 48, 56, 60 Newport 2 putter 35"

Note: This thread is 2174 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!