IGNORED

"Deep" Hands Explained (or "Depth")

iacas
Note: This thread is 2256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I find this "deep hands" bit too be one of the more important topics that is talked about on this site.   for a few reasons: 

1) it really is the goal of a good backswing.   To get your hands into a good, deep position at the top, alot of other things have to go right along the way.  to get your hands there comfortably, you have to have a good spine angle, good hip turn, a full shoulder turn, and you have to keep that lead shoulder pointed down.     If you do all those things, your hands get to a nice deep position automatically.   

2) If your goal is a nice inside-to-out swing, deep hands gives you a straight runway to the ball.   It feels as though when you get to that position at the top, all you have to is swing the club.   There is no need for any correction or extra movement on the downswing.  This long, straight runway to the ball makes for both more consistent center-face contact as well as added power. 

All of my best, most powerful ball flights at the range can be attributed to this deep position at the top.  I know it, because it has a different feeling.  different feeling in my back.  different feeling in my trail shoulder.  
now if I could just figure out how to get my hands into that position more consistently, we might really have something. :mellow:

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, iacas said:

I

@mvmac… thoughts?

Apologies for the hijack here, but this video is awesome so thank you.

One questions: In the video, when you're demonstrating a more proper backswing by gaining depth mainly with the turn, your clubhead seems to be pretty far inside the target line. Is that simply because of when you choose to bend the right elbow or is it when you choose to cock the wrist or is it a combination? In other words, how do you suggest we take this lesson and make a backswing in which the clubhead isn't so far inside?

Thanks again!

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, chspeed said:

Apologies for the hijack here, but this video is awesome so thank you.

One questions: In the video, when you're demonstrating a more proper backswing by gaining depth mainly with the turn, your clubhead seems to be pretty far inside the target line. Is that simply because of when you choose to bend the right elbow or is it when you choose to cock the wrist or is it a combination? In other words, how do you suggest we take this lesson and make a backswing in which the clubhead isn't so far inside?

Thanks again!

@chspeed, it's simply a matter of me not hinging my wrists OR flexing my right elbow. I'm trying to do almost nothing but turn. If I turn 90°, the shaft will rotate around me 90° (and since the camera is on my toe-line, even 90° of turn will make it look like the clubhead is well inside my hands, from parallax).

You'll notice at about 3:00 to 3:10 the clubhead doesn't really go "inside" more as I just hinge/flex the wrists/right elbow.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!