IGNORED

Strong Grip Causes Cupped Wrist

jdjanda
Note: This thread is 1833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That hasn't been my experience.

A strong grip is naturally more cupped than arched at setup as well.

Yep

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will give you the more cupped at address. I have a strong left hand and have been fooling with shaft lean and set up to see what's more comfortable and useful. Cupped or forcing my left wrist straight at set up. However, I am pretty sure I don't cup my left wrist at the top of my swing. I go back pretty shallow and by the top my right wrist is cupped and my left wrist goes the other way. So maybe it's more of grip/swing plane combo that is causing it? Or maybe not related at all to the grip just not allowing the right wrist to go back.

And to the OP about the push just close your club face some. Voila, draw.

James

That hasn't been my experience.

I've seen the opposite more, as a strong grip that's bowed will be even more shut at the top of the backswing. A strong grip is naturally more cupped than arched at setup as well.

I encourage individual diagnoses on these types of things. Some players feel the grip is strong and the face a little "shut" so they cup their wrist to help keep the face open a bit (Fred Couples - strong grip, cupped at impact and top of the backswing), others let it arch (Dustin Johnson, not that his grip is particularly strong).

Also is the one on the right really cupped? It looks like his left hand is turned and it might just be the camera angle that is making it looked cupped when it's actually bent to the thumb side. Sorry I don't know the lingo for that.

James

And to the OP about the push just close your club face some. Voila, draw.

Or a pull ;-)

Also is the one on the right really cupped? It looks like his left hand is turned and it might just be the camera angle that is making it looked cupped when it's actually bent to the thumb side. Sorry I don't know the lingo for that.

Cupped

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator
Also is the one on the right really cupped?

Yes.

Edit: Oops, Mike beat me to it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Or a pull ;-)

Cupped

Okay I can kind of see it a little better in that one. Still hard though. So are you guys saying that is caused by a strong grip? I would think what looks like a steep plane and flying elbow would be causing that but I am not a pro obviously.

• Upvote 1

James

Okay I can kind of see it a little better in that one. Still hard though. So are you guys saying that is caused by a strong grip? I would think what looks like a steep plane and flying elbow would be causing that but I am not a pro obviously.

I would say the extra cup at address is caused by the strong left hand. With the top of the backswing, it depends on how the player "senses" the club face, like Erik said. Freddy keeps the cup in there while someone like Duval lets it bow. The position of the right hand (pad of the trigger finger) also has to be considered, if it's more "under" the grip, I think you'll see more of a bowed look of the left wrist/shut face at A4.

Mike McLoughlin

• 4 years later...

This topic has become my focus of late.  I have historically either sliced/push-fade most drives.  On occasion I will drill it down the fairway - straight as an arrow.  Ironically, I typically hit the hyrids (3-4-5) with dead on precision.  Fairway woods are usually pretty straight away as well.  My irons are decently straight - unless I get in a super hurry and I flat out make a bad shot into slice land.  I have been doing a mental review of what I am doing and one thing is certain, with the way the hybrids are built (TourEdge GeoMax 3h & 4h, Nike CPR 5h) at address my hands automatically set-up with a flat left wrist.  I find that in the swing I work to keep the hands in that format and the ball rockets on toward my intended target.  After reading this thread and other info spots, I am thinking I have found a key to my "erratic" drives.  In replaying my drives in my mind, I am 99% certain on most (the ones that go from fades to out and out slices) I am cupping my left wrist in hopes of "knocking" the ball farther down the line. Likewise I have noted how "high" the ball flies off the tee on those shots compared to the occasional drives that go straight - they launch and head higher but do so more gradually.  I am looking forward to getting back on the range to verify my "findings."   

Willie T 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

• iacas changed the title to Strong Grip Causes Cupped Wrist
Note: This thread is 1833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!