IGNORED

What Happens to Pro's Used Clubs?

ProStuart
Note: This thread is 1245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My wife asked me this last night and I had no idea how to answer her!

When Tiger or any of the playing pros get new clubs from their sponsors, what happens to their old clubs? Do they simply go back to the sponsor, sell them privately, pass to their caddies, etc?

Anyone know?

Stu

Mizuno MX500 10.5*
Mizuno Hi-Fli CLK 20*
Mizuno Hi-Fli CLK 26*
Nike Pro Combo 5-PW
Mizuno Black Ox 52* & 56*

While I'm not absolutely sure with regards to golf pro's I do know that with most sponsorships the free items you receive are yours to keep.

I used to be a sponsored bass fisherman and received several new rods/reels and other fishing tackle for free. Whatever I no longer used I was able to sell or give it away however I wanted. Also had several friends who had boat sponsorships from the likes of Ranger and Champion boats etc. They would receive a new boat each year. After receiving their new boat they were allowed to sell their old boat and keep the proceeds.

My guess is they give the old golf equipment away to friends, family or they donate the equipment to charities.

I believe I read that some of the pro's go back to their old clubs if they don't like the new ones. I would think most keep the clubs they really like. Just like I would.

Driver: 9.5 Titleist 910, Fairway Woods: G2 3 wood and 5 woods
Irons: Titleist CB712
Wedges: 52 - Vokey, 56 - Vokey Raw,
Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1
Ball: NXT Tour

Here's what Arnie does with his. And these are just his putters - think of all the other clubs stashed in his workshop!

WOW! That's a lot of putters. Someday they will go to a charity auction and fetch some pretty pennies!

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

They probably end up in some rich morons bag who cant play a lick but paid 5g for tigers worn out wedge..
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

My best guess would be that either the player or manufacturer donates them to a charity to auction off. I am sure there are plenty of suckers who would pay quite a bit for some used irons played by Joe Pro.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I can answer this.

Pro's keep what they want to but much of it is donated to charities to auction off, some of it is given to caddies or friends. If a player doesn't care for something they just tried out they just give it back to the tour van. The most interesting is Ping. When my sister was on staff she requested a Scottsdale answer, sure enough they still had originals and would let their staff use them on stricly on loan. Each was laser marked with a serial number and a staff player would have to check these out like library books. These had to be returned at some point because they were not replaceable I think they called them legacy clubs . The one exception was if you won a major with a legacy club you could keep it. They would then pull out the original mold and make two out of 10K solid gold, one for the player and one for the vault. If it wasn't a major they simply gold plate two putters. I remeber when she retired several years ago. I was a bit upset because she literally sold most of her clubs at garage sale!! Seriously she sold sets of ping irons, mostly eye 2's for $150 per set. Putters and other individual clubs she sold for $20. She sold out in a matter of an hour. I was like Hey?! what about your brother? I still have a couple of her old staff bags and some clubs but man that was really cool not having to pay for equipment or balls.

a friend of mine hung out with curtis strange... he told me they pretty much kept all their gear and he got a driver off of him one day out of the blue... they also give away stuff to charities
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

They probably end up in some rich morons bag who cant play a lick but paid 5g for tigers worn out wedge..

Or hits a sky-ball with his driver, ruining it's value forever.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's what Arnie does with his. And these are just his putters - think of all the other clubs stashed in his workshop!

If you think thats impressiv - just think about how Sergios "Putter dump" has to look like

Btw. - they showed Arnie´s workshop on the GC once, and there where rows and rows of clubs lined up - they said, Arnie probably had the biggest collection of golf clubs in the whole world. My guess is, they keep most of the stuff and when it gets older/gets collective value they just give it to some charity auction/tournament if somebody asks them to donate something.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

To my best knowledge, Pros are not supposed to sell their used equipment.... especially pros on the mini-tours. Some do, but if they get caught, they lose their deal, but of course on the mini-tours the companies are not paying the players to use their equipment. On the big tour, I most pros probably just give them away, or trade them at equipment shops for putters or what even.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

• 4 weeks later...
they either give em away to charity or auction em off somewhere......maybe even give em away to someone if they're in a good mood. i know they have like a "library" in their basement....just rows and rows of golf clubs! i bet it looks cool!
In My Under Armour Links Stand Bag or PING Hoofer Vantage Team Bag :
i15 9.5°, Project X Graphite -7A3 | i15 15.5°, Project X Graphite -8A4 | S57 2 - PW, Project X 6.5 | Tour-W 56.10/60.8 Project X 6.5 | Redwood Black Satin Anser | Titleist Black | Golf Pride Tour Velvet Round Grips With Logo...

• 10 years later...
  • iacas changed the title to What Happens to Pro's Used Clubs?
  • Administrator
On 11/14/2020 at 8:51 AM, Mark Turpin 55 said:

Can amateur golfers buy pro golfers used clubs

Yes. If you can find them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!