IGNORED

The Stack and Tilt Golf Swing

iacas

Ive lost what progress I've made with the swing recently. Sure I have my good shots, but they are becoming fewer and fewer.
It feels to me ( i need to take some video ) like I am losing things at the beginning of the downswing. Right now it feels awkward and from there by the time I get to impact I am all over the place.

What "feel" or action are you guys using to start the downswing?

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Big Bertha 3-10 IADAMS Tom Watson Classic 54,58 and 64 Wedges Nike Oz 5 Putter/Wilson Staff ( not sure model, bought it in second hand store ) Ball: Bridgestone E6

For me i like sean foleys swing theory, which is basically don't shift to your right side but don't tilt and straighten the right leg either. Just stay 55 45 and shift it all forward on the downswing rather than loading on the backswing.

Driver: Ping g15 axivcore black stiff
3 wood: Cobra s9-1 f speed
Hybrids: 20* adams speedline classic round and 24*v1 peanut
Irons: Ping I5 5-pw
Wedges : cg14 50*,54* spin milled 58*Putter: Cameron newport detour

I don't know who this dude is, but I thought he had a real nice swing. I noticed a few things he was doing with the aspects I'm struggling with and I'm anxious to try it out...

Believe it or not...S&T; putting is good!!!...We have been told for years to keep the weight on the front foot and move the shoulders....pure S&T.;

Great points! When Tom watson was the best putter on the planet, he was noticeably putting the weight on his left side and keeping it there.

I've never compressed a ball until I started doing this. My bad tendency is to lean back and thats when a slice creeps in. Otherwise I've been push-drawing. Starting straight draing left. I need to open the face a little more and I'll be ok. I also started taking a more athletic stance and less weight on my heels and more on my toes and I get A LOT more power. Again its a 55/45 thing. Not 90% on toes. Just a touch more than normal.. I stopped locking out my rear knee and feel a lot better as well too

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So I finally made it out to the range to really get the ball flight to where it should be (push-draw). I can push it relatively consistantly (aiming about 10 yards right on most irons; obviously more the longer the club) but I can't draw it back at all. Should I try to in-to-out more, so that the clubface is more closed to the swing path? It feels like I'm really coming from behind my hip when I swing that far in to out (was a very constant out to in swing before I switched).

So I finally made it out to the range to really get the ball flight to where it should be (push-draw). I can push it relatively consistantly (aiming about 10 yards right on most irons; obviously more the longer the club) but I can't draw it back at all. Should I try to in-to-out more, so that the clubface is more closed to the swing path? It feels like I'm really coming from behind my hip when I swing that far in to out (was a very constant out to in swing before I switched).

Try to feel like your right hip is at the ball at impact. Also make sure the right leg stays straight on the down swing. This will help get the path more towards first base with the weight going left.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
Try to feel like your right hip is at the ball at impact. Also make sure the right leg stays straight on the down swing. This will help get the path more towards first base with the weight going left.

And what Michael means by that is that your right hip is FORWARD by sliding more at the ball at impact, not that it's spun to get there.

Your hand path is the second place I'd look - it may not be deep enough at P2-P4. Or still in at P5.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I love you guys! Going out for 18 today; I'll edit in and let you know how it goes!

Here is a good example of the hip slide, head staying centered, gets into a reverse "K" look from his right shoulder to right leg

And like iacas said, get the hands deep, keep the left arm connected to the left pec, like this

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I love you guys! Going out for 18 today; I'll edit in and let you know how it goes!

So when I was going for a push; I actually drew it back a good 15-20 yards swinging pretty hard. Concentrating on my hips really helped my whole game too; my distances were spot on when I could look from a tee or close to a yardage marker; never more than 10-15 yards off line when I wanted to hit a straight shot.

I ended up thinking "my left hip bone is being yanked" and through the swing after my left leg straightens on the follow through the only way to keep it being "yanked" is to get that reverse k correct posture. I don't think I'm tucking in quite as much as I could; but this was such a big improvement. I had a streak of 3-4 GIR's which *never* happens for me (just look at my handicap for proof). Course, then I got all excited and screwed up putting, but that's not a SnT problem :P

Things are starting to come along for me slowly. I haven't been able to have the time at the range that I would like to really practice this.

Here's my question: All of my clubs are benefiting from the S&T; except for my six iron. My 6 used to be my favorite iron, now it seems all I do is hit hosel rockets. Same setup as everything else, but now I can't seem to hit it. Mental only?

On the other hand, I have never hit my other irons better! And my 8i is leading the way.

In the bag
Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
Fairway: Launcher 2009 17*
Irons: X-18r 4-SW
Gap Wedge: CG15 52*Wedge: X Tour 60*Putter: Crimson 550Ball: E5

I'm just beginning my S&T; journey. I could go on about why I've decided to make the change, but that's for another day. I've been to the range a couple of times to work on things. Overall, I'm pleased. Saturday was a good session, I thought. What I liked the most was that I was hitting the ball flush 90%+ of the time and only hit a couple of fat shots (something I had struggled with lately).

In general, my ball flight was a slight push (maybe 10 yard push with a 6I) with a baby draw. I assume that this generally would indicate that I"m still not hitting far enough back on the circle to create the draw I need and/or my clubface is a little too open at impact?

My woods/driver are completely different. I've had no luck with them. Instead of the straight push or push/baby draw, I'm hitting a straight to slight push with a huge slice. This seems to tell me that I'm hitting the ball on the front half of the circle and not getting my hips far enough forward. With the driver, how do you work on really pushing your hips forward? How much wider is your stance w/a driver than with irons? What are some good sensations that y'all have for pushing the hips forward, but keeping the head centered on the downswing?

What I play:

Driver: XLS Hibore 9.5* Fit-On Red (S)
Woods: Tour XPC 16* Graffaloy ProLite (S)
Hybrid: Exotics 3HIrons: Reid Lockhart 3-SWWedge: rac 60*Putter: a crappy $20 Academy putter (but it works!)

After reading and comprehending more of the book, I'm headed to the range tonight to work on some specific items. I don't normally like to go to the range (rather play) but now that I have a plan, I won't mind.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

After reading and comprehending more of the book, I'm headed to the range tonight to work on some specific items. I don't normally like to go to the range (rather play) but now that I have a plan, I won't mind.

Good thing I went to the range to work some things out; I realized my grip had gotten "sloppy" and spent the time getting that back straight. Then worked on my wedge game.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

MDB- Something else that might help you is to make sure that the left knee is flexing towards the ball on the back swing and not straight in front. If you flex the knee out your head will drop cause your body to shift toward the ball on the downswing instead of toward the target cause you to hit the heel.

PIC- I have my feet pretty far apart probably 5-6 inches past shoulder width. I struggled at first with my driver and hybrids because I was thinking "it's the Driver, I have to change blah blah" When really just widening the stance and placing the ball more forward will take care of everything you need to do. make those adjustments and swing like you would an 8 iron. The stance will flatten the swing for you. It helps me personally to really feel like I'm stomping down with my left foot to initiate the downswing. It gets my hips moving forward plenty.

Hope this helps!! I'm no expert, just relaying the things that have really helped me...

Well I got the book today. Ive read the first few chapters and I plan on hitting the range tomorrow. One thing that feels more natural to me is bringing the club more inside. This has alway's felt more natural to me, but the first thing a instructor wanted to change. I also generally don't take much of a divot and have a problem with casting and flipping my wrist.

I can score OK and have had my index down below 3, but that is because I have a very good short game and I'm a good putter.

As alway's I'm optimistic that this is the key to improving my game.

We will see.

Woods: Titleist 909 D3, Titleist 909 F2
Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue
Irons: Titleist AP-2
Wedges: Titleist Vokey spin milled
Putter: White Hot 2 ball.