IGNORED

The best ball you're (probably) not playing

Note: This thread is 4062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been buying gloves from MasterGrip for just about as long as I've been playing golf. Recently, I decided to take a chance on their mg Tour C4 golf balls. At $19.99/dozen, I thought, "Why not?"

Well, I've been out 4 times with them (rounds of 80, 81, 79, 83) and they're super soft, fly long off the driver, and stick or spin back on all iron shots. I'm definitely a fan and playing the best golf of the season (which may not all be related to the ball)!

If there's any fault, it would be durability. I hit a cart path on the second hole this morning and it tore a chunk of the urethane cover to where I could see the next layer beneath it. Normal wear is pretty decent where only a short wedge might scuff it.

Hopefully this post doesn't come across as a shill... I just wanted to share my experience and help someone with an option to save half the cost of other premium balls.

No brand loyalty at all!

Driver: Speedline 10.5*
Fairway woods: 905F 15* and Big Bertha 19*Hybrid: DWS 3HIrons: 2008 FP 4-GWWedge: Carnoustie 56*Putter: Zing Anser 2i

The best ball I'm not playing?

Titleist Tour Balata 100

I still have a few dozen that I break out once in awhile for some wedge contests but yeah, that's the ball.

Driver: R11s 9 with a Fubuki Tour 63 X-Stiff
Fairway Wood: R11s 15.5 with Miyazaki Kusala Black 83 X-Stiff

Hybrid: taylormade.gif 4 with Fubuki 515 X-Stiff
Irons: titleist.gif Forged 660 3-PW with Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: callaway.gif CC Jaws 52 and 58 Degree
Putter: ping.gif In Anser 2

I have always been curious about "tour" balls from manufacturers other than the big ones. I think my next set are gonna be Hogan tour balls.

I found one of these in a range bucket a while ago. Should I have kept it? lol

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

Heh...that ball hasn't been manufactured in 10 years so chances are no. I bought a few dozen off of ebay a few years back. Softest ball on the market, feels like a marshmallow when you putt. But no, chances are that ball was beat to a pulp.

Best golf ball I've ever played! I liked the 90s too but ya I loved golf back when I was just learning, playing 36 holes a day at the pitch & putt with a wedge and a putter and Titleist Tour Balatas! Those were the days. I still have a couple of them in my storage box of souvenir balls. I have one I made 3 straight birds with

Great golf ball. I still have a few laying around. What came after that, the Professional i think?

Bag: Lightweight Stand Bag
Driver: G15 9º
Fairway: 909F2 15º
Hybrid: 909H 19º
Irons:  AP2 710Wedges: CG10 56º, Vokey SM 52º, 60ºPutter: Karsten Anser 34"

The Professional was out during the same times as the Balata. I'll break a sleeve of balatas out when my friends and I have a little match on this nine hole course in my town. Great old course, perfect for a balata match. They still fly fine, much flatter ballflight than a Pro V1x though, much flatter. Spin is about the same.

• 3 weeks later...
Hah, you guys don't remember the Maxfli Tour Ltd. from the mid 80s. That thing spun so much the paint would fly off it. It had a low trajectory too, so you could hit screamers into the green and they would hop twice and come rocketing back at you. And this was with V-grooves. Apparently they lost an infringement suit on the dimple pattern and had to change, and they never were the same again. Back then they were giving Titleist a run for their money in the high-performance ball category.

Maxfli was putting out great irons and balls until they got bought out.
I haven't played the Penta ball, and at $46/dozen, probably won't play one unless I find it on the course.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Maxfli was putting out great irons and balls until they got bought out.

Yep the old Aussie blades were nice, but apparently they turned them into a budget model set. But those Tour Ltds were some kind of ball. I never did come across another ball I liked as much as them. Titleists just didn't compare, and everything now is designed to fly up in the stratosphere. I don't know anything about the Penta, but I suppose trying them out wouldn't hurt.

the best ball for the money has to be the srixon AD333 for 19.99 and performs almost as well as any ball more than $40

15 yrs old

DriverBurner 10.5 degree stiff flexFairway Burner 15 degree proforce 75 gram regular flex Hybridrescue dual 19 degree stiff flexHybrid edge cft hybrid 24 degree stiff flex Irons progressive XC 5-PW regular HOPING FOR TOUR PREFERRED's!SW rac satin tp wedge 56 degreesLW spin milled...

• 3 years later...
I just bought a dozen of these MG C4 golf balls. I am a 9 handicap and play PROv1. Now I am switching to this ball for only $19.99 a dozen. Play better than the ProV1. Distance is about the same but the spin is much better on the green with wedges. By far a Superior Value. Golfs best kept secret. I was spinning the ball and my partners thought I depended the grooves on my wedges. However I haven't told them where I bought them yet. I haven't noticed the durability problem some have brought up. They last me a full round. No different than the ProV's. Try them.

Note: This thread is 4062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!