IGNORED

Hi Everyone, New Guy From PA

tws1098
Note: This thread is 5254 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone, my name is Tyler (or Ty either works). I am from PA, am 22 years old, and have only been playing for a little over a year, but due to college I have not been out very often. I am still learning a lot. Speaking of which, can anyone guide me to some useful threads for improving chipping and putting.

I have also had a burning question. Does it matter if I do not take much of a divot, if at all? When I watch better golfers and pros, everyone takes a decent sized divot after impact.

If this is something i should work on, what can I do to practice?

Hello everyone, my name is Tyler (or Ty either works). I am from PA, am 22 years old, and have only been playing for a little over a year, but due to college I have not been out very often. I am still learning a lot. Speaking of which, can anyone guide me to some useful threads for improving chipping and putting.

go to the top of the screen where is says search and type in help chipping and putting.

Welcome. You may already know this, but it is important to realize that the good golfers are hitting the ball first and then taking a divot. They have most of their weight on the front leg at impact, and hands ahead of the clubhead at impact. This allows them to compress the golf ball.

Most of us who struggle with poor contact are hanging back on the right leg and flipping the hands (i.e. clubhead is even with or ahead of hands at impact). This causes those fat and thin shots. Try hitting some wedges where you keep almost all your weight on the front leg throughout your swing (no weight transfer) just to get the feeling of solid contact. Try to keep your hands leading the clubhead. For me, it also helps to feel like I am staying really centered over the ball with my eyes watching the club strike the ball. These few things have made a big difference in my iron-play. I used to basically scoop the ball (no divot), and hit alot of thin shots. Now I am hitting down on the ball and getting divots, and the shots are more consistent. Hope this helps, and take a lesson if you can. One lesson on chipping and putting could shave alot of strokes off your game. Good luck.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

Welcome. You may already know this, but it is important to realize that the good golfers are hitting the ball first and then taking a divot. They have most of their weight on the front leg at impact, and hands ahead of the clubhead at impact. This allows them to compress the golf ball.

Thank you very much. That was a very helpful and insightful post that gave explanation to some of the things I have been hearing but did not understand. I feel very confident with my driver, woods, hybrids, and pitching. I will definitely try practicing with my wedge keeping my weight on the front leg. As far as lessons go, I am looking forward to working with my uncle who is very good and can provide me with some guidance. Thanks again.

Thank you very much. That was a very helpful and insightful post that gave explanation to some of the things I have been hearing but did not understand. I feel very confident with my driver, woods, hybrids, and pitching. I will definitely try practicing with my wedge keeping my weight on the front leg. As far as lessons go, I am looking forward to working with my uncle who is very good and can provide me with some guidance. Thanks again.

I almost forgot. One of the best drills I have found is the feet-together drill. Look for

Shawn Clement aka Clemshaw on youtube and find his feet-together drill. Great drill for getting solid contact and improving balance.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

Go online a pick up a used Phil Mickelson short game DVD. I purchased one for only $15. I've learned so much. There is nothing more satisfying than looking back on your scorecard and noticing how many times you one putted after a chip or pitch. Phil calls his method the "hinge and hold". Also, I avoid getting tips off of these threads. There are too many conflicting opinions.

Great that Phil's video helped you.

So why did you bother to come on here if the tips won't help you? Doesn't make sense.

Tips may be conflicting. Everyone's swing is unique in some way, so their tips would be different too. There are one plane swings and two plane swings. Folks who fade while others draw. High ball hitters vs low ball hitters.

The reader just needs to sort through these tips and glean what might apply to their swing or experiment with something different in an effort to find something better.

Either way the forum tips have value. Even to you.

Wayne Hudler is an avid golfer of more than 30 years and golf writer.

He partners with Dooley Duffer over at Dooley Duffer Golf. They have created a place where ordinary golfers (we affectionately call them duffers) can get the help they need to improve their games like we did. Become the player...

Don't take a divot while putting, it will mess up the role of the ball and the course super will chase you down and run over you with a golf cart.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Don't take a divot while putting, it will mess up the role of the ball and the course super will chase you down and run over you with a golf cart.

I also would discourage taking divots with the driver. I'm sorry to say I did this when I started golfing, and the results were not pretty. Does alot of damage to the tee box, your club, and your pride.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

That was almost funny.

Thanks to anyone who gave advice or welcomed me. So far I have enjoyed the forum, there is a lot of good threads. It is a bit of a refreshing forum when you have spent a lot of time on a mustang forum where everyone has the "right" point of view on everything.

Look forward to learning a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 5254 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!