IGNORED

Iron Covers?

Celler
Note:Β This thread is 5049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

They do look a little happy, but perhaps they are in such a large family - maybe I'm wrong but I count 16 clubs in the bag!

It is all fun.

yeah, my mothers husband plays with about 17 clubs in his bag. in fact, one time i counted and he had 18 clubs in his bag! lol, but who cares? he's just an old retired guy playing for fun with his buddies.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So there you go OP, headcover love.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , RossaΒ  Suzuka

I know we are supposed to practice "safe" golf but honestly those iron covers really diminish "feel" for me. Just can't get used to them. The ball feels a bit "mushy" coming off a covered head.

I can appreciated the different colors and textures they come in. Overall I prefer going COMMANDO.

Now without jest, I accept the chatter to avoid the time spent with dealing with the covers.

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

I'm not gonna even read thru all the homophobic remarks, I'm just gonna say that I use iron covers on all my irons. It helps with resale and they stay looking damn good for a long time.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEXΒ  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Just got my new set of Ap2 irons. I and wondering how easy they will mark in the bag and should I use iron covers? Are they a pain to use in the cold and rain and wind that I will be playing in for the next couple of months?

I'd rather wear the pants like John Daly is wearing than use iron covers...but hey, that's just me.....

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I'm not gonna even read thru all the homophobic remarks, I'm just gonna say that I use iron covers on all my irons. It helps with resale and they stay looking damn good for a long time.

what he said. why would you want something you pay lots of money for to bang around and get physically damaged. the money you spend on headcovers will be worth it when re-sale time comes around.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes:Β 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

Doods...-- You could say even I'm anal retentive, but if you have iron covers you should go into housekeeping!

or just be called smart.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes:Β 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

what he said. why would you want something you pay lots of money for to bang around and get physically damaged. the money you spend on headcovers will be worth it when re-sale time comes around.

Resale is almost a pipe dream.

Give it some time....I assure you that the first time you have to wait on someone who is doffing / donning an iron cover you will want to remove them yourself and drop 'em in the nearest trash can.
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Resale is almost a pipe dream.

Not true there John Daly. I've done it for several years now and played more sets than most can count and not lost a dime doing so. I've actually financed quite the club ho-ing addiction in doing so, thank you, and made money. If you think taking a cover off, slipping it in your pocket and then putting it back on is time consuming, you're in the wrong activity anyways.

-Landon

I will say this about PING irons, you can beat the crap out of them and they usually don't look much different from the day you buy them. Try that with a nice set of forged heads and see what you have after a month or 2.

-Landon

Not true there John Daly. I've done it for several years now and played more sets than most can count and not lost a dime doing so. I've actually financed quite the club ho-ing addiction in doing so, thank you, and made money. If you think taking a cover off, slipping it in your pocket and then putting it back on is time consuming, you're in the wrong activity anyways.

You may be the exception to the rule.

The guys I've played with that had even drove their own selves nuts with them....lanyards getting tangled up....covers falling off that we had to backtrack to find, etc, etc, etc. The subtle sound of the irons/wedges clinking together while walking / riding is very relaxing to me...one of the many sounds of the game I love.

To each his own. I don't use covers on my irons and I'm not convinced they will help much with resale value. Clubs depreciate the minute you un box them and there will be some wear just from normal play and a little bag chatter is accepted with used clubs.
For those that choose to use them, I say great. As for the slow down in play argument with those that use them, I don't see it. There are lots of things that contribute to slow play and if a player is slow without headcovers, they will be slow with them and if fast players use covers, they will still be fast players.
If you use them I say great.....If you don't use them, I say great.

I agree to each their own...

I use iron covers mainly to keep my clubs quiet and less banged up while traveling in the rear of my Infiniti FX (not far from me and can be quite noisy clattering). I remove them to go to the range and to play as I agree with some about the clubs being wet, dirty, etc.. under the covers would probably not be good for them.

I will have to admit that I am not real crazy about them clattering when on a cart (not too bad when walking because if they start to clatter I can simply reach back and separate them) and I would like to keep them in good condition as I like good looking equipment (remember "to each their own") and I do have over $800 invested in them...just my 2 cents...

TEE - XCG6,Β 13ΒΊ,Β Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ballΒ 

The clubhead cover bashing by people with a putter cover as an avatar is cute. How many Scotty owners toss the club cover? I thought so.
There are many things I am a minimalist about, other things not so much. Another reason I like the covers for my '09 Burner irons is all the cavity badge crap on the irons. I don't really like it and I think I will like it less if they get banged up and start peeling. I never used iron covers on my Titleist irons, and they held up well, I just don't expect modern irons with all the ID glitz to hold up as well. Manly clubs look fine with miles on them but I don't expect my current "pretty" clubs will.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , RossaΒ  Suzuka

Note:Β This thread is 5049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!