IGNORED

To Golf or NOT to Golf?

Big_M
Note: This thread is 5246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I live just down the road from you in High Point and I have been in the same delima, except I have friends that will play in any weather. I really dont mind playing in cold weather except for when its very windy. Yea I would go if I were you, I may be playing by myself tomorrow as well

Well, it has been hovering in the 40's all damn week and frankly I'm sick of it. Usually we have at least a day or two a week where we have mid 50's, but no such day in sight. Tomorrow the high is supposed to be 46 and it will be partly cloudy. Should I go play or should I wait it out... nothing looks good in the 10 day forecast and I don't think I can wait another week anyways. Also, none of my friends can play tomorrow, so it looks like I'm going to have to go it alone should I go.

Dude, we played Skybrook yesterday. It was cold but bearable. Gotta get out when you can!

While I agree that the OP should play in this case, I dont play in the rain unless I absolutely have to. I just don't enjoy it at all if the course is saturated, but I hardly consider myself a fairweather golfer. I'll definitely play in extreme cold or wind, but rain just sucks. And why is it bad if someone bundles up if it's cold? I actually love the cold, and can go out in short sleeves in 30-40° weather, but I don't look down on someone for doing what they have to do to stay comfortable. I just don't see why anyone should feel guilty for doing whatever they need to do in order to enjoy the game.

i was just kidding with the OP.

the rain thing came from a round i played last summer.. it started sprinkling for about 10 minuites and 2 groups in front of me were racing their carts back to the clubhouse... we just had a fun time with that... the course didnt hardly get wet, it was bone dry 2 holes later. plus.. they were in carts with roofs over their heads... you just had to see it, i bet you'd laugh too.... and im not against bundling up.. but when i see someone dressed up for a weeklong trip in anartica on the golf course when its only 40*.. its kinda funny....how do they even swing with all that stuff on?? ive personally played in the snow before. even though i had orange balls, i lost every one of them before i even made it to the turn. the greens were so frozen it was like putting on a marble floor. ive played in a severe downpour also, and i will admit it was miserable. it took me 8 shots just to reach a 358 yard par 4 because it was near impossible to get the ball up in the air.... but i made some good memories.. the most notable one was watching my bud fall off the slope besides the green and roll into the sand trap that was full of water. i wish i had it on camera... its been raining so much here lately.. i pretty much have to play in the mud. its better than no golf at all though to each his own....

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

i was just kidding with the OP.

Now that's a different story, yeah, 10 minutes of sprinkling is no reason to call it a day. That can almost be expected during the spring and early summer. Hey, at least you didn't have to worry about anyone playing slow in front of you for the rest of the day!

its been raining so much here lately.. i pretty much have to play in the mud. its better than no golf at all though

Same here, until this past Sunday, I hadn't swing a club in two weeks. It was kinda driving me crazy, but I finally got out. Course was still kinda wet in some spots, but I guess that's how it is when there's 10 straight days of rain.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Dude, we played Skybrook yesterday. It was cold but bearable. Gotta get out when you can!

Yeah... ended up playing... can't beat $13 to walk Rocky River... and it only took 3, maybe 3.5 hours. Shot 85, not great, but tolerable since I misclubed a lot to start, and I haven't been playing as much with the new baby and cold weather.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I'll golf any temperature over freezing if wind isn't too strong. 40's is great, just throw on a fleece and walk, you may even end up taking the fleece off by the end of the round if the sun is out!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll golf any temperature over freezing if wind isn't too strong. 40's is great, just throw on a fleece and walk, you may even end up taking the fleece off by the end of the round if the sun is out!

Any temperature over freezing? Ha! Wimps! -5 C (24F) when we set out today; -0.5 (31F) when we finished. Temporary greens but frosty and bright - lovely! (41 Stableford points wasn't bad, either!)

i played last week in 32* weather... granted it was sunny and there was no wind... wind is the deal breaker for me especially when that wind chill dips temps into the 20's... whatever i wear thats gonna keep my warm in the 20's is definitely gonna restrict my swing... its been raining its butt off this fall so water falling from the sky or puddling on the course doesnt bother me anymore...
40's is perfect for this time of year
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Supposed to play Meadowbrook GC tomorrow (Rutherfordton, NC), high temp is forcast to be around 30* with light wind. If the wind blows I'll have to pass, otherwise I'm sure I will have a good time. I bet ball flight will be 20 yds short due to the cold too.

Updated 2/7/10 - In my Revolver Pro bag:
Driver: G-10 10.5* TFC 129 Stiff flex 3-W: G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
#2h(17*) Stiff Flex #3(21*) & #4(24*): Hybrid G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
5-PW: MP32 (DG300)S flex Wedges 52-8, 56-14, and 60-04 Bobby Jones Wedges
Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo 35"Grips:...

I was thinking about getting out to play but I've been too busy running the snowblower the last few days! :)

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

some of us would kill for a 40 degree day
Bag: Three Five Yellow
Driver: 905R 9.5 Degree, Fujikawa Shaft Shift
3-Wood: Sumo2 15 degree
Hybrids 19 and 21 degree
Irons tour x-20 (5-PW)Wedges vokey 52.08,56.14, 60.04Putter circa 62 #1: Pro V1Where I usually play: Rush Creek

some of us would kill for a 40 degree day

LOL,,,40 degrees, that's almost short's and t-shirt weather!

Years ago when I was stationed at Ft Drum NY we would do a 2 week training exercise down at Ft Bragg NC every Janurary. We would go down there and be walking around in shorts and t-shirts while the 82nd airborne guy's would have on thier winter jackets. They called us Polar Bears,,,lol! Funny how the human body can adapt to temprature! Anyway, a few courses here start opening in late March, so less than 90 day's I'll be back on the course hopefully!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

LOL,,,40 degrees, that's almost short's and t-shirt weather!

I agree, though during the summer here in the south when it's 100* and the humidity is 95% you fellers from up north are dying. Like you say its all in the body's acclimation.

I still have to say "Cold Weather SUCKS!" ----UPDATE---- My outing today was quite cold and enjoyabe, eventhough the highst temp I saw all day was 29* . The wind really picked up on the 17th. so I was glad it was almost time to go. Even with the cold, my new swing was murdering the ball. I still hit two 290+ drives. I love this game.

Updated 2/7/10 - In my Revolver Pro bag:
Driver: G-10 10.5* TFC 129 Stiff flex 3-W: G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
#2h(17*) Stiff Flex #3(21*) & #4(24*): Hybrid G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
5-PW: MP32 (DG300)S flex Wedges 52-8, 56-14, and 60-04 Bobby Jones Wedges
Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo 35"Grips:...

Even with the cold, my new swing was murdering the ball. I still hit two 290+ drives. I love this game.

I hit over 300 yesterday, in about -1 (30F) temperatures. Well, when I say 'I hit it 300' what i mean is it carried about 170 or so and then bounced...and bounced...and bounced...and ran...and trundled...and finally came to a halt. The ground was rock hard and didn't offer enough shoe grip to go for one so it was all 3/4 swings and falling about laughing at the results - when they went your way!

Ok, now it's starting to suck. Doesn't look like it will get out of the 30's this week. And I'm ready to play. First really cold winter stretch since I moved here. Can't wait for my Orlando trip in two weeks!!

Note: This thread is 5246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!