IGNORED

What point is it too late?

OCdude12
Note: This thread is 5207 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I say go for it. I'm 35 and wish I would have tried a harder to do more with my game. But there is one thing I totally disagree with that you said:

I've always believed anyone could become a pro golfer also, given enough time and money, and after reading the bios of some of the top amateur players from the NCGA, it got me thinking what it really takes to play high level golf.

Thats not even close to being the case although that really has nothing to do with your situation. Work hard and who knows how good you can get.

909 D3 with Diamana White X
909 F3 15degree with Aldila Vodoo
ZM Forged 2-PW
Voley 56 and 60
Studio Newport 1.5 PRo V1X

That is the best advice for anyone in life. As the old saying goes, "you can lead, follow, or get out of the way". If you want to achieve your dream in life, you got to lead not follow. That means forget what anyone else has done. You got to take the bull by the horn and take charge. But that doesn't mean you got to be blind and stupid either. Be realistic and always have a back-up plan.

Good advice - Only YOU have to believe in your own talents to make it happen.

As someone who has been doing the corporate slog for 20 years, I'd happily have dedicated my life to sport... all it needs is dedication, commitment & drive.

Playing: Wilson Deep Red Driver and Woods; Tour Edge Hybrid irons; Old 1970s Ping Putter (with rust to prove it).
Goal for the year: Golfing holidays in Spain.

You are young enough now to give it a great effort and still recover if it does not work out. I would however, give yourself a timeline. Dont want to turn around at 35+ and still be chasing an impossible dream. May not be all romantic and swashbuckly but reality is a brutal bitch sometimes. I am 42 eligible to retire from the Marines this year; I am a solid 5 without ever practicing. I have kicked around the idea of trying to find a job in the golf industry, maybe use the GI bill to go to one of those golf academies for a year. We will see, pretty hard to turn down that 6 figure defense industry job though . I can tell you that you better get on it though... nothing ever starts itself.

Lightweight Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Putter (several models unfortunately)studio stock 4
AP2 Irons 4-PW
ProV1X Balls
2 and 3 TP Rescue07 Burner TP 9.560, 56, 52 CG 12 WedgesOld man CartSi vis pacem, para bellum

I say go for it. I'm 35 and wish I would have tried a harder to do more with my game. But there is one thing I totally disagree with that you said:

Your a + handicap man, you could very very easily become a PGA professional and start teaching the game. Ever thought about it??

Thats my dream, and Im working very very very hard at trying to achieve that. Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

Your a + handicap man, you could very very easily become a PGA professional and start teaching the game. Ever thought about it??

When I was younger I thought about it. At that time I needed to make a little more $ than they paid starting out. Now I don't like the hours required or working on weekends. I think it is a great career, just not for me, and I wish you luck in reaching your dream.

909 D3 with Diamana White X
909 F3 15degree with Aldila Vodoo
ZM Forged 2-PW
Voley 56 and 60
Studio Newport 1.5 PRo V1X

I'm sure you've heard the saying, "If you believe that you can or cannot do something, you are correct". Only you know your game and if you truly believe in it. Do you really love the game enough to ride that rollercoaster all the way down? You mentioned having the talent to play the game in college, but decided not to because it would take too much time. Something like that could be telling of how successful you might be on your journey. It is my belief that the guys on the PGA Tour are not that much better physically at the game then say the Nationwide or other top tier tours. What they have is an intangible quality or drive that separates them.................

Do some homework on teaching professionals and see if it is dream lifestyle. See if the income is something that will fit the lifestyle that you want to live. I think many people love playing the game of golf and then feel like they should pursue a career in the golf industry. Once in the industry, they many times play less golf than before. I am not saying that it is not a rewarding profession or a worthy career to pursue. I am just saying there are other careers that pay significantly more and allow far more time to actually play golf.

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

Sounds like you could have a good chance. Even if you don't make it you'll have a nice story to tell whenever you just casually hit the links to play a round or two. It's better to try and fail than to fail to try.

In my Nike Xtreme II Bag:
Driver Str8-Fit SQ Dymo2 S
Irons CG Gold 5-PW
Hybrids 3&4 Hibore XLS
Putter Rossa Daytona I Putter Ignite MalletBall ProV1xWedges Glove StaSofShoes Heritage

I agree with all the posts saying to go for it. I am only 29, but I am at a point in my life with a mortgage, wife, a dog and in due time a child, I can't justify giving up my job to pursue the dream. Good Luck and I seriously think you should strive for it.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Go for it. I was watching repeats of Big Break Mesquite and the guy who finished second, Josh, did not start playing golf until he was 18. I believe he was 24 at the time of BBM. You''re already wondering "What if?" and kicking yourself. You should turn that "What if?" into "What is!" and follow your dream.

I wish you the best.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Again, thanks guys for the words of encouragement. I'm definitely going to try my damndest in the next year to improve and play in as many amateur tournaments as I can and then go from there. I was going to start with just the city championship coming up here in a couple weeks, but have since signed up to be a member of amateurgolf.com to see what tournaments they have in my area also. I signed up last minute, yesterday, for a tournament this weekend at Stone Tree golf course in Novota, CA. If you guys are ever in Nor Cal and looking for a nice course, I would recomment trying this place out. Played it a couple times, can get a little windy, but always in GREAT shape. Anyways, gonna keep swinging in my apt tonight and do a little putting on the carpet, been raining here almost every day for the past 2 weeks. Cheers!

Driver: Taylormade Burner TP (2007 model)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Steelhead III 4+
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19
Irons: Mizuno MP 33s  4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges: 60, 56, 52Putter: Odyssey DFX 9900

Is it too late? ask YE Yang. seriously though, golf is not a game of quickness and speed, unless you're alvaro quiros of course. but as long as you're still flexible, you can still play. you don't have to beat anybody running or jump high, so age is a lot less factor than in other sports. look at phil, he's a man, he's forty(lol) and he says he feels better physically now than ever and wants to take the top spot. you've got plenty time. only question is, are you intense enough.

Again, thanks guys for the words of encouragement. I'm definitely going to try my damndest in the next year to improve and play in as many amateur tournaments as I can and then go from there. I was going to start with just the city championship coming up here in a couple weeks, but have since signed up to be a member of amateurgolf.com to see what tournaments they have in my area also. I signed up last minute, yesterday, for a tournament this weekend at Stone Tree golf course in Novota, CA. If you guys are ever in Nor Cal and looking for a nice course, I would recomment trying this place out. Played it a couple times, can get a little windy, but always in GREAT shape. Anyways, gonna keep swinging in my apt tonight and do a little putting on the carpet, been raining here almost every day for the past 2 weeks. Cheers!

I didn't realize you are in NorCal. Check out The Pepsi Tour.

www.pepsitour.com . They have tournaments up that way with an amateur division.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

The one thing I would emphasize is have a backup plan. Tons of talented people try and don't make it onto the tour, so make sure you account for that possibility.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5207 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!