IGNORED

Anyone tried the new Callaway Tour balls?

Note: This thread is 4710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've heard/seen a lot of promising things about the new Callaway Tour i(s) ball, as well as the i(z). Anybody have a chance to try either one of them out yet? I know Ernie Els has been just raving about the i(s).
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

I tried the tour i last season. I dont know if that is the newest version or not. I found that the covers shred really easily. Not too durable.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

There has already been a review written on these....try searching for it. I dont remember who wrote it, but I read it last week.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tried the tour i last season. I dont know if that is the newest version or not.

The Tour

i and Tour i x were last years model. The i (s) and i (x) are this years.
I found that the covers shred really easily. Not too durable.

Agreed (but I still use them)

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

I tried the tour i last season. I dont know if that is the newest version or not. I found that the covers shred really easily. Not too durable.

I tried last year's (2009) as well. In my opinion, all premium balls from Callaway has cover that does NOT last a single round. Great balls but sh!tty covers.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I'm surprised- I get a good bit of life out these- way more than the ProV1X

In the bag-

Driver- Ping Anser 9.5  Diamana Ahina
3 Wood-RBZ tour 15
Hybrid-RBZ tour 4 Irons-  Ping I20s 4-GW with soft stepped X100sWedges 58 and 54 SM4s with soft stepped X100s Putter- Ping TR Senita

I just bought a box of the Tour i(z) earlier today. I'll be playing tomorrow morning (it's raining here today) so I'll try them out to see what they are like. Just putting around my living room with them, they do seem to be less clicky than the Tour iX. That being said, they still have a noticable click to them compared to other balls. The one big difference that I noticed immediately was that the Tour i(z) no longer has the "sticky to the touch" feel of the previous Tour i/iX. Sometimes it was hard to get the Touri/iX out of the sleeve because it would stick to the packaging and not want to move; the new Tour i(z) doesn't do this at all.

I just bought a box of the Tour i(z) earlier today. I'll be playing tomorrow morning (it's raining here today) so I'll try them out to see what they are like. Just putting around my living room with them, they do seem to be less clicky than the Tour iX. That being said, they still have a noticable click to them compared to other balls. The one big difference that I noticed immediately was that the Tour i(z) no longer has the "sticky to the touch" feel of the previous Tour i/iX. Sometimes it was hard to get the Touri/iX out of the sleeve because it would stick to the packaging and not want to move; the new Tour i(z) doesn't do this at all.

I played 18 holes today with the Tour i(z) for the first time, and I must say I'm fairly disappointed by them. I could not get them to spin at all on touch shots around the green, and they felt terrible compared to other tour-caliber balls. The durability was so0so, but I doubt I could last 18 holes with one ball (I hit one in the water so I didn't get a chance to play all 18 with one ball). They played somewhat similar to the Tour iX, a ball that I really don't care for all that much.

If you like the Tour iX, you'll probably like the Tour i(z). If not, you won't like the Tour i(z) at all.

i just bought a doz of the i(s) balls in the white box...since it's freezing in PA i don't know when i'll get on the course to try them out...

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I have a little brother that plays the Callaway I series balls. I've tried them out when I have played w/ him on a few occasions and I couldn't wait to give them right back to him.

I just could never get a "feeling" for them. Whether off the tee, approach to the green, on and around the green, etc.

I'll usually shoot Nike One Tour balls w/ a sleeve of ProV's mixed in on occasion.

Those Callaways don't come close to those balls in any regard.

IMHO

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

I boght a dozen Tour i(Z)'s 2 weeks ago from GolfSmith. I have been playing the Tour I(X). The differences as I can see is the following. 1) they do seem to jump off the face a little hotter. but saw no real appreciable distance gains. (But then again...I'm no Iron Byron) 2) they have a clickier sound to them when you hit them...kind of like you cracked them. 3) the covers scuff up more than the old version. 4) The spin on the greens using my Vokeys was MUCH more pronounced. I usually spin backwards maybe a couple feet or at least, a dead stop. With the new ball, I was spinning back 6-8 feet. With a hybrid 21 degree from 205 yds out, the ball was stopping within 3 feet of where the ball hit the green. Conclusion...mission accomplished with developing a ball that would negate the groove rules that are to become effective next year.

Tools of my game:
Burner 09' Driver 10.5 Reg flex
5-pw G10's/ plus Taylormade R7 4 iron
Burner 08' 4 Hybrid
A70S 3 Hybrid Burner 09' 3 wood "Zing" SW 56 degree Fastback Laser range finder / plus Skycaddie SG5...also a great ball retriever!!

I boght a dozen Tour i(Z)'s 2 weeks ago from GolfSmith. I have been playing the Tour I(X). The differences as I can see is the following. 1) they do seem to jump off the face a little hotter. but saw no real appreciable distance gains. (But then again...I'm no Iron Byron) 2) they have a clickier sound to them when you hit them...kind of like you cracked them. 3) the covers scuff up more than the old version. 4) The spin on the greens using my Vokeys was MUCH more pronounced. I usually spin backwards maybe a couple feet or at least, a dead stop. With the new ball, I was spinning back 6-8 feet. With a hybrid 21 degree from 205 yds out, the ball was stopping within 3 feet of where the ball hit the green. Conclusion...mission accomplished with developing a ball that would negate the groove rules that are to become effective next year.

Maybe I was just off my game the other day, but I could not get the Tour i(z) to spin at all. When I played the Tour iX before around the green, I could get it to sit down quickly and then roll out about 5 to 6 feet; with the Tour i(z), the ball won't check at all and just rolls out. It's as if I was playing with a cheap distance ball. And the sound is definitely louder and clickier than the Tour iX.

Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't you get more spin from the i (s) that's out now? and has anyone played this ball yet?

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

There has already been a review written on these....try searching for it. I dont remember who wrote it, but I read it last week.

I didn't see one, tried searching and couldn't find it. Let me know if you come across it.

I'm surprised- I get a good bit of life out these- way more than the ProV1X

I actually agree with this. They would shred a little, but I found them a little more durable than the ProV.

The one big difference that I noticed immediately was that the Tour i(z) no longer has the "sticky to the touch" feel of the previous Tour i/iX. Sometimes it was hard to get the Touri/iX out of the sleeve because it would stick to the packaging and not want to move; the new Tour i(z) doesn't do this at all.

Strangely enough, I actually liked that feeling. It made me feel like I could do whatever I wanted around the greens.

Thanks for the input, though. Sorry to hear they didn't do it for you.
i just bought a doz of the i(s) balls in the white box...since it's freezing in PA i don't know when i'll get on the course to try them out...

This made me laugh. I feel your pain. To add insult to injury, of course, the first 60 degree day we got down here (yesterday) was a Monday, and pouring rain. Nice.

Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

• 1 year later...

I tried tour i(z) today.  It felt like a "top rocks"--Top Flight.  Too clickety off the putter.  Not soft at all but had a clangy feel to it.  After about 5th hole, I switched back to ProV1x.  Did not like i(z) at all.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

holy thread revival batman.

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 4710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!