IGNORED

Geoff Ogilvy - switch to Titleist.

RichF
Note: This thread is 5201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyoner know what Ogilvy is using this season exactly?
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Not that it matters really, but he's also dumped Puma clothing and footwear, gone to FootJoy.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

I consider the Acushnet Group to be the premier equipment group. I would think any golfer would consider it the pinnacle of endorsements.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

I consider the Acushnet Group to be the premier equipment group. I would think any golfer would consider it the pinnacle of endorsements.

The "pinnacle" of endorsements - that's rich. Speaking of rich, the sponsor with the deepest pockets would be my ideal ensorsement.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

He made the switch but he is pretty much using the same clubs as he used last season, just a new set of irons and a new driver. He is still using his Cobra s9-1 pro 3 wood

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

This is just the kind of thing that advertisers and marketers would love to read. It proves that if you promote yourself in a particular way - like cigarette companies used to , despite there being no difference between brands - there are always people who will believe what you tell them.

Do you seriously think that the majority of players who aren't signed with "the Acushnet group" wish that they were?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

He made the switch but he is pretty much using the same clubs as he used last season, just a new set of irons and a new driver. He is still using his Cobra s9-1 pro 3 wood

Assuming he plays a 3I - PW, you are saying he only changed nine clubs out of fourteen since last season. Doesn't seem to be "pretty much the same" to me when 65% of your bag is new.

Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP60 (4-PW)
Wedges: Vokey SM 50/54/58/62
Putter: Yes! CallieBall: TM PentaHome course: DeBell Golf Club http://www.debellgolf.com/

Not that it matters really, but he's also dumped Puma clothing and footwear, gone to FootJoy.

I'm not too sure that a golfer ever dumps a sponsor. Seems more likely that Puma decided not to re-sign him.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

• Administrator
I'm not too sure that a golfer ever dumps a sponsor. Seems more likely that Puma decided not to re-sign him.

Golfers dump sponsors all the time. Ernie and Phil "dumped" Titleist because Callaway offered them a lot of money. Titleist "let" them go.

Players dump sponsors fairly often... when they have a better offer or they feel REALLY strongly about playing a certain kind of equipment (see also: David Toms, TaylorMade, Cleveland).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Should have been more specific to Ogilvy as it was reported that Puma did not resign him. Thanks for the clear up Erik!

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

I come from a less cynical time. I believe every F1 driver wants to drive for Ferrari. I believe every golfer wants to represent Acushnet brands; as a matter of pride, not money.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
Early Titelist Cavities

Golfers dump sponsors all the time. Ernie and Phil "dumped" Titleist because Callaway offered them a lot of money. Titleist "let" them go.

Heck, why stop there? Players change brands as often as I change my pants (about once ever two years?).

How about : Nick Price, Cleveland > Bridgestone Jim Furyk, Orlimar > TaylorMade > Srixon Tom Watson, Ram > Adams Rory Sabbatini, Nike > Adams > TaylorMade Payne Stewart, Wislon > Lynx You can name about a hundred guys who changed brands in their lives. Some just let their contracts expire, others change for other reasons. In the case of Ogilvy, it was not really even a change.

I come from a less cynical time. I believe every F1 driver wants to drive for Ferrari. I believe every golfer wants to represent Acushnet brands; as a matter of pride, not money.

Perhaps a less cynical time but certainly a more gullible one!

You seem to be implying here that Acushnet brands are "the best" or have some kind of inimitable heritage. They are no different from any other top brand. Apart, perhaps from the fact that they sign just about anyone. Have a look at their website and see how many pros they contract. Not all of them are household names. You seem to have fallen hook, line and sinker for marketing BS. Please explain why you think that "every golfer wants to represent Acushnet brands; as a matter of pride, not money." Name one player who you think is ashamed to be playing Ping, Mizuno, TM, Cleveland, Adams etc.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Gullible? Hardly.
Are there better shoes than FJ; consistently for 40 years?
Are there better balls than Titleist; consistently for 40 years?
Are there better clubs than Titleist; consistently for 40 years?
I believe.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
Early Titelist Cavities

Gullible? Hardly.

Your argument succeeds on the convenient fact that Acushnet has been around longer than most golf companies. I would argue all day that MacGregor and Mizuno make and have made better irons than Titleist. Taylor Made is a relatively new company, in your terms, and without that company under the Acushnet umbrella, you have Titleist woods, which are nothing special.

As for the shoes, I would agree with you up until the point Foot Joy stopped making their Classics alongside with Allen Edmonds in the good ole USA. Now their Chinese made shoes, even the Icons, are nothing special. The only argument I find remotely convincing is the golf ball one. And again, it only wins based upon legacy value.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

It's really not that hard to figure out: as one of the company's highest-ranked staffers, Acushnet would prefer Ogilvy to endorse their flagship brand.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Note: This thread is 5201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!