IGNORED

Nike Forged Blades vs TW Blades Vs Taylormade R9 TP

Note: This thread is 5177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So when i started golf, i brought a second hand iron set to start with, now i have progressed very quickly from when i started golf. 6months ago when i started, i was playing off a 26 handicap, now im down to 8.3 and shoting a avg round of 72-73.

I now what to get a iron set fitted for me since i am now going in to start playing some Junior golf tornys.

So ive narrowed it down to 3 Iron sets, Nike Forged Blades vs TW Blades Vs Taylormade R9 TP. I still think i prefer blades for feel and for the slight amount of extra workability you get with blades so I can knock it in close on those tight pin positions.

The main question is has anybody hit the old forged blades and compard them to the new ones?
I quite like the sound of the new blades because i herd they have a little bit more forgivness on those miss hits.
I have not been able to hit the new blades yet, but im going to a demo night very soon to test them out.

Anyways, let me know what you think.
Thanks.

By the way, please don't post, your a 8 HC you should not be using blades.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

Out of those options I would go with the older nike blades because the R9's are cast and you wont get the feel you are looking for. As for the TW blades I thought they just seemed really small. (I know there supposed to be small they just seemed especially small.)

However my top picks for blades would be Mizuno MP 68's and Titleist 710 MB.

Oh I never herd they seem'd small, im rlly looking forward to trying them now!

As for the MB and the 68's, 68's not a fan oh the look. And the MB were comming out a little low for my liking, but they also did not feel that soft when hitting them.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

I'm assuming the Nike forged blades are the VR's (?) if so, very good clubs. IMO the TW blades were okay and I haven't been a fan of TM irons since around 05, but know many ppl who have them and like them. So my vote goes to the VR's.

I'm assuming the Nike forged blades are the VR's (?) if so, very good clubs. IMO the TW blades were okay and I haven't been a fan of TM irons since around 05, but know many ppl who have them and like them. So my vote goes to the VR's.

What you described are the same club. The Nike Forged Blade is very clean looking and just has the swoosh on the back. The Victory Red TW Blades are the ones with the Victory Red logo and TW logo on the back.

I really like all the irons you have narrowed it down to. Be aware the forged blades have very weak lofts, I think the PW is 49 or 50*. If you found the Titleist MB's were coming out a little low you may find the same problem with most blades due to the nature of them. I would probably go for the R9 tp's, we all need forgiveness in our game (including the worlds best players), and quality cast clubs are not very far off a forged club in terms of feel.
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

As for the TW blades I thought they just seemed really small. (I know there supposed to be small they just seemed especially small.)

They are so small, it makes me laugh when I look at the 3i at setup. Can hardly see it down there.

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

So when i started golf, i brought a second hand iron set to start with, now i have progressed very quickly from when i started golf. 6months ago when i started, i was playing off a 26 handicap, now im down to 8.3 and shoting a avg round of 72-73.

I personally play the Forged Combo irons. The PW-8 iron are the same as the forged blades, the 7-5 irons are split cavities, and the 2, 3, and 4 irons are full cavities. I really like them, they have some forgivness in the longer irons, while maintaining the feel and workability of the blades in the short irons.

I wouldn't reccomend a full set of blades, and even the tour pros are rarely using full sets of blades anymore (they usually have cavities in their long irons, or hybrids). The trajectory and forgiveness are not there in blade long irons. Blades are certainly better, but every now and then you get that one random errant shot that just tears off to the right or left. I like to keep that shot off the scorecard.

I wouldn't reccomend a full set of blades, and even the tour pros are rarely using full sets of blades anymore (they usually have cavities in their long irons, or hybrids). The trajectory and forgiveness are not there in blade long irons. Blades are certainly better, but every now and then you get that one random errant shot that just tears off to the right or left. I like to keep that shot off the scorecard.

+1

A full set of true blades is not generally recommended for anyone without a PGA Tour card. That being said, I've hit the r9 TP set and the sweet spot is about .01 square inches. It's TINY! Never hit the other 2, but I'm not sure how even the pros hit the r9 TPs with any success. If you hit it off center, those things will streak hard off to the right or left.

What's in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag:

Driver - Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 10.5
3 Wood - Taylormade Burner 15* REAX
Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro 18* GD YSQ-HL

Irons - Callaway X-18 4-PW

GW - Cleveland 588 51*

SW - Cleveland CG 12 56*

LW - Cleveland CG15 60*

Putter - Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Bushnell Medalist rangefinder

+1

I would say that not even someone with a PGA tour card need play a full set of blades. Only a small number of tour pros play them anymore, Tiger being one example, but even Tiger has given up his 2 iron in favor of a 5 wood. Phil plays a blade with a little bit of forgiveness and a hybrid. Furyk plays blades, but has a hybrid. Harrington plays CBs and uses a hybrid. Stricker plays CBs. Every major winner in 2009 used cavity back irons.

That's why I suggest a mixed bag. I think blades are great up to about the 6 iron, maybe the 7, then you start to look at cavities. A few companies make wonderful combo sets like that, Bridgestone, Titleist, and Nike being some of them. The combo irons will give you the blade feel and control you want, but the longer irons will give you a higher launch and better stopping power. That's why my vote goes to the Nike mixed sets.

That being said, I've hit the r9 TP set and the sweet spot is about .01 square inches. It's TINY! Never hit the other 2, but I'm not sure how even the pros hit the r9 TPs with any success. If you hit it off center, those things will streak hard off to the right or left.

I personally didn't think the sweet spot was that small. I thought these were relatively forgiving also.

Driver- SuperTri 9.5*
Wood- 906 F2 13*
Hybrids- Rescue TP 17*
Irons(4-PW)- R9 TP w/ KBS Tour
Wedge-ZTP 52* w/ KBS Tour Wedge-58* VokeyPutter- Studio Select New Port 2 Mid-SlantBall-TP Black/Red

Nikes are better than the r9's i feel. Two golf buddies have them and the Nikes feel a lot better than the r9's. Vote for the Vr's.

07 Burner regular flex. (my dads-doing wonders with it) :D
supersteel burner steel shaft strong 3 wood
R7 draw 5 wood
Rapture 4-pw uw. Red dot. <3
56 deg sw60 deg Cg14 white steel two ball putter penta golf shoes. =D

As others have said, i wouldnt go with a full set of forged blade irons either. If you are a mega high spin player who has problems keeping the ball down ( ala tiger woods or Davis Love III) then that would be the only reason i could see going with a blade iron at your level. Ive never hit any taylormade iron, so i cant give advice there but the Nike TW split cavities seem to be well liked.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I dont see the big deal with someone who is not a tour pro playing all blades its all about confidence. I know one of the reasons I want to switch to blades is because I have a tendency to swing to hard and with blades I dont have that problem because I know an out of control swing will end poorly. Furthermore they help my concentration which is somthing I have to work on.

The OP is asking for sugestions on which iron set and doesnt want to hear about why he or others should not play blades, and I doubt he will be swayed by all of these negative comments.

I dont see the big deal with someone who is not a tour pro playing all blades its all about confidence. I know one of the reasons I want to switch to blades is because I have a tendency to swing to hard and with blades I dont have that problem because I know an out of control swing will end poorly. Furthermore they help my concentration which is somthing I have to work on.

I agree. As someone who grew up at time when there were only blades (forged or IC), I can tell you most of what people are calling blades these days are infinitely more forgiving and can be played easily by most single digit handicappers. I am sorry I ever fell for the GI iron. I plan on switching this season to the TM Tour Preferred blade. I think the original poster should consider those instead of the R9 TPs as they will give him more of the feedback and feel he is looking for through the set.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I would say that not even someone with a PGA tour card need play a full set of blades. Only a small number of tour pros play them anymore, Tiger being one example, but even Tiger has given up his 2 iron in favor of a 5 wood. Phil plays a blade with a little bit of forgiveness and a hybrid. Furyk plays blades, but has a hybrid. Harrington plays CBs and uses a hybrid. Stricker plays CBs. Every major winner in 2009 used cavity back irons.

I agree, I'm just saying that non-PGA Tour players shouldn't even consider it. You're right, most tour players don't play a full set of blades. A good chunk play combo sets and there are still plenty that play muscleback and cavity backs. If someone like needs a little forgiveness, I'm certain that I need it.

I know I just switched to some GI irons, but I've played some of each: blades, mb's, cavities, and I think the best scores for almost any golfer will not come from full blade sets. My vote also goes for any combo set over full blades. And as much of a TM guy as I am, I wouldn't suggest anyone playing the r9 TPs. I've hit those only on the launch monitor, so take that for what it's worth. But my experience with those on the launch monitor didn't go well.

What's in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag:

Driver - Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 10.5
3 Wood - Taylormade Burner 15* REAX
Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro 18* GD YSQ-HL

Irons - Callaway X-18 4-PW

GW - Cleveland 588 51*

SW - Cleveland CG 12 56*

LW - Cleveland CG15 60*

Putter - Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Bushnell Medalist rangefinder

I agree, I'm just saying that non-PGA Tour players shouldn't even consider it. You're right, most tour players don't play a full set of blades. A good chunk play combo sets and there are still plenty that play muscleback and cavity backs. If someone like needs a little forgiveness, I'm certain that I need it.

I gotta agree with you on the R9 TP's, not one of their better irons.

Note: This thread is 5177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!