IGNORED

Playing with a golf cart

Gareth
Note: This thread is 5128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The problem is people in carts often do not play ready golf. My friends and I could, 4 of us total, could go out and play 18 in 3 hours and 30 minutes because we were always taught to play ready golf, however, often I have noticed people in carts do not let walkers play through.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only ride when i am playing golf with my dad in a foursome. I walk courses 90% of the time. Well unless its a course that has god forsaken distances between tee boxes.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The problem is people in carts often do not play ready golf.

You got that right! It's like they're afraid to be alone when they hit a shot. And I LOVE IT when they look for a ball while riding around in circles in the rough, play the shot, then head for the other side of the fairway together to ride around in the rough together again. It rarely seems to occur to anybody that they could actually take a club or two and WALK to their ball while the cart goes elsewhere. Cart golfing tip: Put the slicers in one cart, the pull-hookers in the other.

You know you're in for a long day when the carts keep turning around and coming back in your direction.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

You got that right! It's like they're afraid to be alone when they hit a shot. And I LOVE IT when they look for a ball while riding around in circles in the rough, play the shot, then head for the other side of the fairway together to ride around in the rough together again. It rarely seems to occur to anybody that they could actually take a club or two and WALK to their ball while the cart goes elsewhere. Cart golfing tip: Put the slicers in one cart, the pull-hookers in the other.

And equally, I know I'm in for a long day when I get stuck behind four walkers who stroll up the fairway like they are window shopping at the mall, all standing and waiting while each player hits. There are just as many stupid walkers as there are stupid riders. That door swings both ways, so give it a rest.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

*steps on soapbox*

I'm a walker and pretty much despise carts. The course I play regularly isn't very busy so a lot of singles go out in carts. I get so tired of trying to outrun these guys. It's gotten so I wave them through, no friendly chit-chat as they play through, and let them go about their speedy way. What makes it even more frustrating is they'll bounce from hole-to-hole, so one minute I have two open holes behind me, and the next I've got some ••••••• breathing down my neck.

I think there should be an addendum to the rule of letting the faster group play through. If you're getting a round in three-ish hours, you should take into consideration all those people your laying tire tracks on as you try to beat your all-time fastest round.

*steps off soapbox*

Whoever came up with the saying, "A bad day of golf is better than a good day at work", is a moron.

Read in golf magazine yesterday some guy walked a 7000 yd course with a pedometer (16,000 steps - 8 miles) then he played the same track in a cart (13,000 steps - 6.5 miles) 19% less.

Interesting point was you walk a lot more than u think in a cart...so basically it's just a fancy way to carry your clubs and hold the beer.

It's gotten so I wave them through, no friendly chit-chat as they play through, and let them go about their speedy way. What makes it even more frustrating is they'll bounce from hole-to-hole, so one minute I have two open holes behind me, and the next I've got some ••••••• breathing down my neck.

Yeah, same at my course. They often start out in the middle of the course when the first tee is backed up, too, jumping on your next hole while you're putting out. Now you have to wait for them to get out of the way before you can hit your tee shot. Since we invariably catch up with the field, anybody we let through merely clogs up the space in front of us, so we have to take an extra half an hour to play the course so they can get around faster. It's like cutting in line.

Letting these guys play through also slows not only our group, but all the groups behind us, assuming the group playing through does get out of the way -- which doesn't always actually happen. I've let twosomes through in a cart that actually played slower than we did, once they got in front of us. But the most annoying part of cart players in how fast they get to their ball. Let's say the course is playing slow, and I'm waiting on every shot. Nowhere to go, period. No more than 10% of the players out there will be able to catch one of my good tee shots (I'm not a *big* hitter at all, but I'm not a short hitter, either). I'll get to my ball and the hackers behind me can see that I'm WAY out of range. True enough. There is no danger at all. But now, as I step up to hit the shot I've been waiting on, HERE THEY COME! Storming down the fairway, clubs banging -- and there they are, 50 yards away, laughing, clanking the brakes, getting in and out of their carts directly behind he, selecting clubs, driving around in circles in the rough looking for balls, all while I'm trying to hit my second shot. In their minds, they did nothing wrong. In their minds, it's okay because I was WAY out of range of where they could hit to. The worst about this are players my age (67) and older, and women. Younger guys usually think they might "catch one", I guess. If rthey were walking, A) They wouldn't be moving toward me at warp 9, so B) Most of the time, I will have hit my second shot before they get to their shots, and C) Walkers don't have to scream over the sound of the golf carts to carry on conversations as they move along, so I don't have to listen to that either.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

Walk unless drinking and then cart. The cooler is heavy

In My GT Stand Bag

Driver L5V 10.5*
Fairway Wood S2 15*
Hybrid 20* IronwoodIrons Eye 2 BeCu 4-PW (have the 2 and 3)Wedges C3 56* and 60*Putter Zing iWiShoe Air Tour Saddle Ball e7

Walk unless drinking and then cart. The cooler is heavy

I have a rule, no drinking while golfing. It screws up my game. But the corollary to my rule is, as soon as I'm done golfing, I start drinking.

Whoever came up with the saying, "A bad day of golf is better than a good day at work", is a moron.

Depends on course , if it is a hilly and green to tees are far , carts will help .

If it is a flat course , walking will be ideal .
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Note: This thread is 5128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!