IGNORED

Glasses, Contacts, and Polarization Questions????

Note: This thread is 5073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Polarization is not meant for Golf and in fact will hamper your vision for Golf.

Peak Vision Sports... engineered for Golf, and other sports. The best money I have ever spent in my life. They do prescription wrap arounds as well.

You could just take them off when you're lining up and actually shooting
lol

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

I have three different brands: Peak Vision, Oakley, and Tifosi.

The PV sunglasses come with a graduated tint and they are pretty good ($70).

The Oakleys have the G30 lenses which could be considered “golf” sunglasses. I find these to be very nice sunglasses, and I consider them to be very expensive (to the point of ridiculous - $140).

My favorite sunglasses are the Tifosi Tyrants. The set comes with three interchangeable tints for varying light conditions, and they are priced right ($60).

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

• Administrator
Polarization is not meant for Golf and in fact will hamper your vision for Golf.

I disagree. In fact, polarization can help because it can reduce glare which can rob you of being able to see subtle undulations.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i dont understand why polarization wouldnt be for golf...

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

Never heard that before. I don't keep them on when I swing anyway, I don't like it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I disagree. In fact, polarization can help because it can reduce glare which can rob you of being able to see subtle undulations.

Polarization effectively limits the light rays that get to your eyes to only those coming from a very narrow angle, reducing your peripheral vision. Peripheral vision is critical to short shots around and on the green when you must see your ball, the line, and your target! Polarization can also negatively impact depth perception. Additionally, polarization offers no more UV protection than any other type of lens. There was a golf digest article about how Golfers should not wear polarized glasses as it will not allow them to read greens properly/accurately. Polarized glasses basically have horizontal lines in them that stop glare, thus deceiving the wearer when it comes to distance and anything not measurable horizontally. Golf glasses should have gradiant tint, and a particular tint that enhances the sultities of the putting greens.

• Administrator
Polarization effectively limits the light rays that get to your eyes to only those coming from a very narrow angle, reducing your peripheral vision.

The angle is either vertical or horizontal or to some degree. I don't think there's any truth to the "will limit your peripheral vision" and, frankly, you don't use your peripheral vision when you need to see "your ball, the line, and your target." You look at your ball, you line your club up, and you swivel your head slightly if you want to check an aiming point or the target.

Polarization can also negatively impact depth perception.

Some say. Others say they do not - and some say it can increase your depth perception by making everything easier to discern. What's easier - staring into something that's giving off a ton of glare or staring at something that's not glaring. Polarization can increase contrast because glare reduces it.

Additionally, polarization offers no more UV protection than any other type of lens.

So a non-plus is now a negative? Okay, so... "Regular glasses offer no more UV protection than polarized lenses."

I feel that polarized glasses - due to the reduction in glare - allow me to read greens better. But hey, I don't putt on greens with grain. Polarized lenses are better for anything that glares, and guess what glares on the golf course - grass, sand, water. If you don't like them for putting, take 'em off like some of the pros (but pros take off their sunglasses regardless of whether they're polarized or not). I take my cues from a) my own experiences, and b) my optometrist, who's a low, low single digit handicapper. He tells me that there's no disadvantage at all. He says if you feel there is one, putting is so mental you should take 'em off. He putts with his sunglasses on and does just fine. I think a lot of the articles out there you can find will have people saying "I heard they're not good for putting..." I've seen very few articles from anyone who actually knows. Got a link to any, or just more hearsay and personal experiences? You're right about the tint, but that's irrelevant to discussing polarization. But, again, tint is important. Pinks, ambers, the lighter tints tend to be better.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The angle is either vertical or horizontal or to some degree. I don't think there's any truth to the "will limit your peripheral vision" and, frankly, you don't use your peripheral vision when you need to see "your ball, the line, and your target." You look at your ball, you line your club up, and you swivel your head slightly if you want to check an aiming point or the target.

This is total nonscence. Golfers probably use more peripheral vision than they do forward vision.... therfore it couldn't be any more important. Most Golf Glasses are wrap-a-round (curved lens) this is for a couple of reason, eye coverage, so that you can use periphal vision and because golfers need to be able to see out of the sides of their eyes (perpheral vision) as it is needed for alignment of shot and puts, and so that when their head rotate in a swing they can keep track of the object they are about to hit. Some younger pros may be able to keep their heard perfectly still without any rotation, however most amatures and senior have to rotate their heads with their shoulders in the backswing. Therfore they rely on peripheral vision.

This is a stupid argument
just take your sun glasses off when you're making reads and shots
simple as that
I'd much rather have polarized lenses to reduce glare, but i always take them off to make my shots

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

I wouldnt say many lol
Out of all the people who need glasses >50% prob wear contacts
Most dont wear sun glasses because they block uv rays anyways
a super small fraction will have polarized lenses + glasses

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

I don't think polarization affects depth perception in any measurable way. The benefits are usually reduced glare and reduced eye strain. I play in a couple different pairs of sunglasses and the polarized are by far my favorites.

Does anyone use Tifosi with Rx lenses? I like a the Salvo glasses with GT lens. The price isn't too bad @ $163 total.
I'm just wondering how good there Rx lenses are??

I usually don't play with glasses at all, but I like to use them on the Green and for putting, but he clear Rx glasses are to bright here in AZ.

I treated myself to new Adidas AdiVista sunglasses with LST Vario (photochromatic) lenses a few weeks ago after suffering from a light sun stroke. Tried it on in the store, fit perfectly. Went outside to check it out in broad daylight, in the plain sunlight. Still was perfect. Got to the golfcourse the next weekend and what happened. Right. I immediately noticed a difference in perspective when putting, and even when swinging. Drove me crazy. So I immediately made the decision to take them of to play the ball and put them back on again afterwards so I was protected from the sun during my round but not hindered by them during actual play. Maybe I should consider different lenses ? Adidas also makes some golf specific lenses like Oakly does with the G30 i believe. Or maybe I will try again and see if I can get my brain to retrain and compensate for the change in perspective as we all know we need all the extra challenge we can get when playing the too easy game that is golf

Polarization effectively limits the light rays that get to your eyes to only those coming from a very narrow angle, reducing your peripheral vision. Peripheral vision is critical to short shots around and on the green when you must see your ball, the line, and your target! Polarization can also negatively impact depth perception.

I wear polarized Bolle sunglasses every single day. Literally every single day, dawn until dusk (I have a raccoon tan unfortunately!). I've never experienced any depth perception problems at all. Before I bought my sunglasses, I looked at some research that suggested polarization is bad for golf, but other sources disagree. I'm really not sure who to believe, but in my own personal experience, polarization does not affect depth perception.

Additionally, polarization offers no more UV protection than any other type of lens.

That's because "polarization" is not synonymous with "UV protection." They're two mutually exclusive terms, and anyone looking to buy a nice pair of sunglasses should know the difference. UV protection (A,B, and C) is essential in a pair of sunglasses IMO. You've only got two eyes, you should probably protect them as best you can. Plus, I see much better in sunglasses. I think sunglasses are a great idea, and you definitely get what you pay for.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Additionally, we're reviewing some Tifosi sunglasses, and they're really quite good for the price.

Nice, I've heard some good things about those.

Does anyone use Tifosi with Rx lenses? I like a the

I have a pair of Tifosi Forza's with prescription GT lenses. I bought them about 2 years ago. They are by far the best prescription sunglasses I've ever had and are great on the course. They fit the shape of my head perfectly and the lenses wrap around my face tightly enough that I don't have any problems in my peripheral vision like you do with some glasses. I wear them while putting -- I've found the GT lenses make the grain easier to see and also find it easier to track the ball in the air than with my regular glasses.

They were about $225 but it was money well spent. Non-prescription version was about $40 so not too expensive.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

Note: This thread is 5073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!