IGNORED

Wedges: 4º difference in bounce noticeable?

Note: This thread is 6484 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all,
doing some research on wedges, particularly the titleist spin milled in a 60º. they're only available in 4º and 8º bounce, I was wondering how big of a difference is there between the two?

I just picked up a 60º_8º, but after reading a few posts I'm starting to second guess that decision and am thinking about the 4º instead...I'll be using it mostly on 80 yrds and in, on fairways, and the occasional rough..sand play isn't a concern for me right now.

but is it all in my head, or is there a noticeable difference?

thanks

Hey all,

just in case you didnt know, higher bounce will prevent the club from digging too much into the ground/sand. i personally use a 14bounce 56* SW and i tried to use both a 12 and 10 bounce and i caught a lot of shots really heavy. 4 bounce was a big difference for me

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

I have found that in the summer we had in England (remember the course at Hoylake) i needed a very low bounce on all of my wedges. I went for a 4' bounce on my spin milled wedge and found it perfect for nipping the ball off the fairway. Now, the weather has returned to normal English weather and has rained all month nearly and as a result, i find my self catching a lot of my chip shots heavy because the club digs right in.

If you have firm fairways go for a lower bounce but if they get a bit wet, you will need a higher bounce. This is what I have found but this may just be me. Hope it helps!!!

• Administrator
I just picked up a 60º_8º, but after reading a few posts I'm starting to second guess that decision and am thinking about the 4º instead...I'll be using it mostly on 80 yrds and in, on fairways, and the occasional rough..sand play isn't a concern for me right now.

The main reason I stopped using my 60 degree RAC Y-Cutter wedge was because it had six degrees of bounce. I wanted less - the Spin Milled had 4, so I went that route. And my SW, a 54/10, followed.

I noticed the extra two degrees of bounce. I use my lob wedge quite frequently from the sand, but when I open it up as much as I do, I'm back to 8 or 10 degrees of bounce. But yet when it's square, I'm back to 4. I like the versatility. I think having a high-bounce lob wedge robs you of some of that versatility.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

thanks for the replies, I need to just go out and use the club I have before worrying about anything else

Note: This thread is 6484 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!