IGNORED

Driver loft?

Note: This thread is 6472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking at buying a new TM r580xd but I can't decide whether to get a 9.5* or 10.5* loft. I only average 230 yds/drive so would one of the lofts be better for my game? I hit the driver pretty straight, and I use a 10* driver now. Will either loft make too much of a difference from what I am used to now? Thanks for the advice...

I am looking at buying a new TM r580xd but I can't decide whether to get a 9.5* or 10.5* loft. I only average 230 yds/drive so would one of the lofts be better for my game? I hit the driver pretty straight, and I use a 10* driver now. Will either loft make too much of a difference from what I am used to now? Thanks for the advice...

if you already have a high ball flight just go with the 9.5*. if you'd like to hit it a little higher, obviously get the 10.5.

to be honest .5* wont really make that much of a distance. ive been demoing 9.5* and i can hardly tell the difference in ball trajectory ( i own a 10.5* driver )

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

I went from a 9.5 to a 10.5 this year. The one thing I noticed was that I hit the ball straight more consistently (Although this could be the clubhead too).
I guess I'd probably go with the 10.5. You probably won't see a huge change in the ballflight, but unless you're scratch, it wouldn't hurt to hit it even straighter than you currently are.
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

The best advice someone can give you regarding which loft on your driver will maximize distance and accuracy is to get yourself to a launch monitor and hit drivers with different lofts. That is, hit the driver of your choice in several different lofts and maybe a couple of other brands as well. The information you will receive will determine for you which driver at which loft will maximize both distance and accuracy.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

The best advice someone can give you regarding which loft on your driver will maximize distance and accuracy is to get yourself to a launch monitor and hit drivers with different lofts....

Good advice. Rodger Dunn told me when I first met him that the driver is by far the hardest club to fit to a player. I have certainly found that to be true in the years since. It takes a long time, trying different clubs and usually buying a few along the way. The launch monitor can save you some time and money.

There are some general "truths" that are not always true. Generally 10-11 degrees is recommended for most amateurs, but after much experimentation I settled on a 7.5 degree Cobra. I found the Cobra was the driver I could hit straighter than the others. I demoed -on many different days- the 10.5, 9 and 7.5 and carried them all about the same distance, but the launch angle from the 7.5 gave more net distance. There is an unique interaction between the characteristics of the club head construction, flex and kick of the shaft and the way you hit the ball that defines the results you get. I have gone to the shop and hit a dozen different hot new drivers on the launch monitor and none out perform my 7.5 degree S Cobra SZ. I suggest going three different days to hit drivers on the monitor, because one session can give you a false result. It may cost you $90 to do that, if they charge you, but if it saves you buying the wrong driver you'll see a net gain. If possible, hit a small bucket at the range before you get on the monitor - don't wear yourself out with a driver - hit any clubs that get you going without wearing you down. You want to be warmed up and in a groove. Rodger Dunn's will let you return a club in 30 days and get something else. If you can find a deal like that it would be a good thing. Years ago I hit a driver well at a range and bought it right away. For some reason I never hit it worth a damn after that one day. That's why I went back multiple times to a place that had the various Cobras before settling on the loft I wanted.

I agree with Shortgame. If you really want to know what is "optimum" for you, and if you're gonna spend a bunch of money on a driver, why not make sure it's right.

All the techies are saying that at slower swing speeds like yours (under 90MPH) you should have more loft to optimize launch angle and spin rate. I can't say I've actually done it myself, but that is the latest word.

Here's what Frank Thomas had to say to someone with a 90 mph swing speed on his website when they asked about maximizing distance: "Your ball speed should be close to 130 mph with a launch angle of about 13 to 14 degrees and a spin rate of about 3,000 rpm. If you don't have these launch conditions then see what a different head design would do for you. Trying an 11 or 12-degree loft would be a good place to start."

Good Luck!

Rick
http://www.golf-club-revue.com

"Golf either brings out your ego...or your heart."

I think SubPar is correct when he suggests that you demo a club for several days, if possible.

While I don't think it would be appropriate to recommend a loft for you, I heartily endorse RickRevue's quote of Frank Thomas. Indeed, I chose a 12* loft because that's the one I hit the most consistently, the longest and the most accurately.

The bottom line is: go get fitted by a pro and check your ego at the door.

Good luck.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

i'm not sure if this is true but i was always under the impression that higher handicappers or weaker (physically) players are best fit with higher lofted drivers.. 10.5*+. obviously driver is the hardest club to hit consistantly and having more loft will help these types of players to at the very least get it up in the air.
the first driver i ever used was an old callaway big bertha 12*.
maybe this is just a myth? or a lie someone told me way back when :D

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

i'm not sure if this is true but i was always under the impression that higher handicappers or weaker (physically) players are best fit with higher lofted drivers.. 10.5*+. obviously driver is the hardest club to hit consistantly and having more loft will help these types of players to at the very least get it up in the air.

No, this isn't a myth. More loft will lead to less sidespin and more accuracy. Thats why its harder to hit a slice and hook with a wedge than it is with a three iron.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You'll find more and more PGA pros are going to higher lofted drivers because there is an optimum minimum launch angle for maximum distance. I believe Bubba Watson uses a 10.5. The book "the Search for the Perfect Golf Club" by Tom Washon explains it pretty good. He is one of the premier golf club designers btw. The pros play the loft it takes to hit this optimum angle depending on their swing.

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

Note: This thread is 6472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!