IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Ok, so better to go from steep to shallow than shallow to steep, even if the position in the backswing isn't that bad.

Yes because then you can open up as the shaft lays down. You're not really giving yourself the ability to do that right now.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Ok, so better to go from steep to shallow than shallow to steep, even if the position in the backswing isn't that bad.

Yes. Virtually nobody goes shallow to steep.

Remember what we talked about in March.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yes because then you can open up as the shaft lays down. You're not really giving yourself the ability to do that right now.

I was working on this with the video camera. Just trying to get a feel for the difference between what I do now and what you mentioned. I was focusing on not letting the left forearm roll over as much. The clubhead was inline with my hands at A2 rather than inside, and sometimes was outside the hands. My only concern I saw was the clubhead was closed down more, perpendicular to the swing path. Would this cause issues at all, or would making the swing shallow in the downswing open that back up?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
I was working on this with the video camera. Just trying to get a feel for the difference between what I do now and what you mentioned. I was focusing on not letting the left forearm roll over as much. The clubhead was inline with my hands at A2 rather than inside, and sometimes was outside the hands. My only concern I saw was the clubhead was closed down more, perpendicular to the swing path. Would this cause issues at all, or would making the swing shallow in the downswing open that back up?

Yes. :-) (In other words, keep going. Toe can be up to slightly in at 2, and that is related to forearm roll but not exactly the same thing.)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok, so played 18 up at Cassel hills with Shane and Jeremie.

Driver: 7 of them were straight or push slices, 2 of them were straight draws, 2 of them were push fades

3 hybrid: Probably my best club off the tee. 2 out of 2 times were stripped with a push draw. Hybrid please teach the driver how to hit the ball.

Irons: Hit 11/18 greens. Hit 3 out of 5 par 3's. So iron play was pretty good. Contact felt pretty solid. Had one shot that was a bit chunky on a par 3. I had a few iron shots that were close to being too thin for my liking.

Pitching was a mixed bag. Some shots were pretty good, others were really bad. I just can't decipher the right shot for different lies. If it is a standard lie in the rough I am ok. If you give me something that is fluffed up, or maybe the ball is sitting on some matted down grass, I just can't figure those out.

Putting wasn't there. I just couldn't get one to drop. I had two three putts. One from close range, another from a really really tricky putt.

Yea, I had no clue why my driver was slicing today. My irons were pretty much slight push draws all day. My driver was big old slice. I know on a few instances I hit down with the driver, even when the ball was forward in my stance. So I know the path on a few of those was way too far to the left. Needed to swing out more with the driver, which should not have been a problem with my typical swing, but today that swing wasn't there, or maybe it was and something else dropped in to cause it to get steeper and more outside to in.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

After the round @CarlSpackler video camera. So here are some swings from today.

Tried to upload the DTL view, but youtube is having audio/video sync issues. The video will just pause and then end abruptly.

So here is the face on view. head still falls back in the downswing, and hips need to be more open. Same old.

Here is me at home working on the backswing, working on not letting the club get too shallow.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Well I forgot my GameGolf at home today.

Shot a +8 44

In terms of ranking shots.

Off the Tee

Driver: 2, 2, 1, 1, 2, 2, Hybrid: 2

Approach: 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1, 3, 2, 1,

Long Fairway bunker: 2

0-20 yards: 1, 2, 2

Greenside Bunker: 2

20-60 yards: 2, 3,

The greens were aerated. So they were very bumpy, but were not overly slow.

Long Putts: 1, 2, 1, 3, 2

15-25 ft putts: 1, 1,

Short Putts: 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1, 2

nGIR: 6 out 9

GIR: 4 out of 9

Putts: 21

No Penalty Shots

Overall the swing feels horrible. I have nothing consistent at all. I am missing both right and left. I am trying to keep the swing shorter, but I have no consistent striking on the clubface. Probably same issues as always. Clubhead too inside. Overswinging, Swinging too hard, goat humping. What ever, its bad.

#Swing has checked out!

Putting I think I hit putts on the heel of the face about 3-4 times tonight. Need to go back to practicing to get rid of that.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
Overall the swing feels horrible. I have nothing consistent at all. I am missing both right and left. I am trying to keep the swing shorter, but I have no consistent striking on the clubface. Probably same issues as always. Clubhead too inside. Overswinging, Swinging too hard, goat humping. What ever, its bad.

#Swing has checked out!

When is the last time you practiced?!?!?!

You're just playing golf and occasionally making some swings in your apartment. Am I wrong?

You lost your Stupid Monkey badge for a reason.

When is the last time you practiced?!?!?!

Last Friday

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Last Friday

Okay. So your take-away from what I'm asking you is…?

When is the last time you practiced?!?!?!

You're just playing golf and occasionally making some swings in your apartment. Am I wrong?

You lost your Stupid Monkey badge for a reason.

Last Friday

He had you confused with me. ;-)

- Shane

Okay. So your take-away from what I'm asking you is…?

Use this, both in practice and on the course.

Do more of this,

Prioritize one piece and work on it using methods I should already know.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

OK, time to cut back on posting about my rounds. If I don't GameGolf the round, then I'll just be posting the score in the "What did you shoot today" thread.

I'm going to get back to really practicing again. No need to rehash my rounds because it's the same issues every time. Which I clearly haven't worked on. Really GameGolf does a good enough job showing how I did during the round.

Things that need worked on

1) Back swing - Shorten and diagonal sweet spot path (club head too inside)

2) Downswing - Steady head, don't let it fall backwards

3) Impact - Hips more open, maintain upper axis tilt

Right now I am going to keep working on the back swing piece as my priority. I really need to get that over swinging to stop.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

OK, time to cut back on posting about my rounds.

That sounds duplicitous. Like you're still gonna play as often, but you just won't tell us about it. :-)

I'm going to get back to really practicing again. No need to rehash my rounds because it's the same issues every time. Which I clearly haven't worked on. Really GameGolf does a good enough job showing how I did during the round.

Posting your rounds still continues to shed that light on issues, you know.

Things that need worked on

1) Back swing - Shorten and diagonal sweet spot path (club head too inside)

2) Downswing - Steady head, don't let it fall backwards

3) Impact - Hips more open, maintain upper axis tilt

Right now I am going to keep working on the back swing piece as my priority. I really need to get that over swinging to stop.

Good.

It's your March (or was it February?) stuff. It got better, you got down to a 6, you stopped working on it and were a bit eager to move on to the next bit, and now you're not a 6.

That sounds duplicitous. Like you're still gonna play as often, but you just won't tell us about it.

After next week I'll be down to one 9 hole round a week.

Though I might play more on the weekends :whistle:

OK, I'll post the rounds ;-)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went to the range this afternoon.

Was trying to get the backswing piece better, but I just can't seem to get the right motion. When I try to hold off rotating the left forearm I end up with a very closed clubface to the path, and the club starts to point way towards the right at the top of the swing. From there I either have to hold off the club or I hit a big pull draw.

When I try more hinge, to get the club up more, It disconnects my left arm from my chest, so I loose all connection in the swing. Or, I might end up not even getting my backswing turn rate correct.

So, I really have no clue how I am going to get this piece going, because I just can't develop a feel for it.

Would really like some insight as to what movements need to happen to get this backswing piece started in the right direction.

Even then it wouldn't matter, because every time I took a full swing today I hit the ball thin. Usually a couple groove thin to some nearly skulling the irons. I hit about 90 golf balls, I would say 75 were thin.

#Lost

I got some video I'll try to get up later. Heading out with the family for dinner.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

OK, here are the videos of me practicing. As well as some full swings.

Above, is the base swing. What I am dealing with right now.

Some practice backswings. I like the towel under the left arm to help keep it connected. I can get a bit disconnected and forget to turn right. Clubhead is a bit better than the normal swing. Still trying to figure out the move that gets the clubhead more outside the hands. I try hinging more vertical movement with the arms and wrist, but that feels really really bad. Which might be what I need to do more of. Still, it is tough to do this because I want to just lift and hinge with out turning. Mostly due that it is the primary thought in my head. I really can't join the two concepts together right now. I know depth is created by a proper turn. The hands and arms basically ascend. The right arm bending, and the elbow getting a bit of width from the body.

Video above is a swing later on in the practice session. The clubhead is a tad closer to being line with the hands. Still need more. Not sure if I am doing that right. As you can see in the first swing there is no gap in the left arm at A2. While with the later swing there is.

See below. The earlier swing at A2 on the left. The later swing on the right.

Face on view of the swing.

Address on the left.

Shoulders at 90 degrees. Not sure if the head rotation to the right is a good thing or not. I like that the pivot is centered. The left hip stays a long that line.

Full Swing, Shaft parallel. Shoulders are past parallel. Hips are rotated a lot. Left hip starts to slide to the left. I think I need to stop at shoulders at 90 degrees. Though I wonder if there is a way for the arms to get closer to vertical in the middle image. Is that a turn rate issue? Maybe it has to do with the hands not getting vertical due to the club head getting to inside?

Again address on the left.

Impact is the middle image. Hips are too far forward, not enough hips open. I like how inline the hands get with arm and the club head.

Post impact, turn rates are off so I can't really get the arms extended like I want. I get this collapsing arms thing going on in the finish.

Got to fix that back swing piece first. Still trying to figure out the proper movements and how to sync those up with the proper turn rates.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

In, then up, much less rotation. Right elbow stays on your belly, left arm separates from chest… I'll show you tomorrow, and given the way you've played lately, perhaps you should work with it on the course… Not much to lose.

I'll look at your grip too.

BTW, the Stupid Monkey™ way to practice would have been:

1. Make a slow motion swing to 2. Check it.
  2. Make a slow motion swing to 2. Check it. Carry on slowly up to 3, checking it in a mirror or on video to see if the shaft was steep, your left arm wasn't so far in, and your right elbow was staying in front of you to 3.5.
  3. Make a slow motion swing to 2. Check it.
  4. Make a slow motion swing to 2. Check it. Carry on to 3.5, chip the ball into the field 70 yards or so.