IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

@saevel25 I don't know how it relates to your piece, but you're not really getting your hands deep. Hard to get the path out if your hands don't get in, right?

It's tough to get depth when I am trying to keep my right arm from getting stuck behind me and trying to get a more umbrella feel. 

Comparing over a  1-2 years ago to now, 

Previous A4.JPG A3.5.JPG

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Face-On Sequence

FO Sequence.jpg

Set-Up
1. I have the ball too far back in my stance for a 7 iron
2. I could get a tad more hip preset forward, and keep my head behind the ball more

A1 - A4
I do a decent job keeping a steady head. Though at A3.5 to A4 I start to tilt towards the target. Maybe this is faking a proper weight shift? It looks like my uppper body slides early with no rotation at all. My spine then gets almost vertical compared to the green line at set up. 

A4-A7
My head stays pretty steady from A4 to A7. I now re-add spine tilt at A7 as my hips continue to slide as my hips stall. Though I am not certain I can really turn with out missing the ball from this position. 

At A5, I would be much happier if my spine was more at where the green line is at. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

(edited)

I played OK tonight. I tried to get a tad more depth with the hands and keep the backswing shorter in a more umbrella feel. I didn't have many of the weak slices I was having at the range. 

My short game showed up except for one pitch shot.

putting was mediocre with not making any putts of length. 

For the setup I tried to get a tad wider stance and a bit more hip preset. 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played 9 holes tonight. I struck the ball kinda Jekyll/Hyde today. I had some really good drives and some really bad drives. My distance wedges were bad. My pitching was actually pretty good except for two pitches. I am still not making any putts of substantial length. 

Just trying to be a bit more dead handed from A1-A2, then setting the club into the umbrella position feeling an A3 backswing length. It's kinda tough to get the timing down or remember to get my right side through better. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Range Session 7-22-16

7-Iron DTL
A2 - I like
A3 - not bad
Need to stop at A3.5 
A7 - More hips need to be open. I like that I maintained the spine tilt. 

7 - iron Drill
I just worked on my backswing. Trying to gain depth and keep it shorter. I threw in some hands out towards the ball and hips more open stuff. 

DTL - Driver
A2 - The hands have gain no depth
A3 - Not bad
A4+++++ - Need to keep working on this
A7 - Hips could be more open, need to maintain spine tilt better. 

DTL - Driver - FINALLY SHORTER!!!
A2 - Still no depth
A3 - Better
A4 - Finally!!!
A5 - Not as steep as it use to be. Hands still kick outward towards the ball here. 
A6 - Club kicks out towards the ball. Starting to lose spine tilt, no hip rotation
A7 - Hips are square and I stood up. 

The feel that got me to stop at A4 was to feel like I swung to A2.5. When I did this I felt like I had no leverage on the club. I really couldn't feel the club at all. I struggle to turn and stay in my spine tilt. I just feel like I don't have enough time to turn. I found in a few other videos I struggled to keep those turn rates up when I did achieve the shorter backswing. 

I do like how A5 looks
A3 v A5.jpg

I really need to work on this
Spine Angle.jpg

And this with the driver (A1-A2)
A1-A2.jpg

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Matt, real quick…

• The hands won't go in much or gain much depth from 1-2. Don't worry too much about that.
  • A little EE never really hurt too many people. It can add speed. With the driver, so what?
  • Keep at what you're doing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

At the range.

I can stripe 7 irons downrange on a line.

My driver is either,

10% 20 yard pulls

5% good (straight with a slight curve)

85% 30-80 yard slices.

My consistent ball striking 

image.jpeg

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

A little bit more on the range session after thinking about it afterwards. Some notes on the driver swing. 

1. I still struggle to shorten the driver swing
  2. When I do shorten it I have no ability right now to turn my hips properly. It's like my ability to turn my hips properly is solely based on overswining. If I shorten the swing I just swipe at the ball. 
  3. Right now I can not get the club to swing outward as my left hip goes inward. 
  4. When I try to feel like I am raising the handle, I still hit giant slices. I think the feeling of raising the handle is just fake. Like I am just keeping the same inward at impact, but then looping the hands upward to get the raise the handle feel. 
  5. Even when I try to hit slower swings, like max 150-200 yard drives, I hit either 30 yard pulls, heel cuts, or I pop the ball up

Lots of work to do. It's getting tiring that this issue just keeps plaguing my driver swing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

A little bit more on the range session after thinking about it afterwards. Some notes on the driver swing. 

1. I still struggle to shorten the driver swing
  2. When I do shorten it I have no ability right now to turn my hips properly. It's like my ability to turn my hips properly is solely based on overswining. If I shorten the swing I just swipe at the ball. 
  3. Right now I can not get the club to swing outward as my left hip goes inward. 
  4. When I try to feel like I am raising the handle, I still hit giant slices. I think the feeling of raising the handle is just fake. Like I am just keeping the same inward at impact, but then looping the hands upward to get the raise the handle feel. 
  5. Even when I try to hit slower swings, like max 150-200 yard drives, I hit either 30 yard pulls, heel cuts, or I pop the ball up

Lots of work to do. It's getting tiring that this issue just keeps plaguing my driver swing. 

Go to the range and see what you can do to hit 150-yard duck hooks (that aren't big pull-hooks). Make sure you're not just staying super-closed to do it.

With your driver.

Just 150 yards.

Focus on A6-A8.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Go to the range and see what you can do to hit 150-yard duck hooks (that aren't big pull-hooks). Make sure you're not just staying super-closed to do it.

With your driver.

Just 150 yards.

Focus on A6-A8.

I will try

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I will try

I'm thinking of a certain quote…

yoda.png

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm thinking of a certain quote…

I will not deny that quote popped in my head as well :whistle::-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

11 hours ago, saevel25 said:

At the range.

I can stripe 7 irons downrange on a line.

My driver is either,

10% 20 yard pulls

5% good (straight with a slight curve)

85% 30-80 yard slices.

Luke, I am your father. These are my same misses. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Third day in a row at the range, dedication or insanity :) 

DTL - 7 iron (just to keep it up to date)

I wanted to try something out that I was working on yesterday with the mirror. I wanted to see what the swing would look like with feeling like my right shoulder, chest and arm drive down towards the ball more. I found this to be a pretty solid feel for the irons. Though I might see if I should incorporate more left hip stuff as well. 

DTL - Driver Drill stuff
I was able to hook the ball, slightly, by stopping the downswing at A6, positioning the right arm and club more inside, then turning to hit the ball while pushing the hands outward. 

When just taking a slow swing, I couldn't hit a hook at all. I still swipe at the ball. What it feels like is. I take a slow backswing. I try to take a slow downswing to send the club outward, but then the clubhead just flips ahead of my hands and I hit giant cuts. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I just took a look at my drill swing video above.

I really like this position better. Though A4 could be shorter, but A4.1 is in a better spot. The hands dropped down instead of shifting outward. 

I'm trying to remember the feel I was doing to get this. I know the backswing was much slower. I might work on that a bit more. A more slower, better backswing. I don't think I was purposely trying to flatten the swing here. 

A4-A4.1.jpg

This A6 position is much better than the one above. From here I think if I keep up the turn rates and keep pushing the hands away from my body I would get a pretty good impact position. 

A6New.jpg

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I worked on A6-A8. I was trying to figure out how to get the club to stay a tad more inside to get it to go outward. 

What I came up with, and it's something that was discarded previously because I struggled with it. I decided to try to add a bit more reverse motorcyle rev feel in the downswing and feeling like I am hitting the ball with heel of my right hand. . 

This feel seems to do two things. It twists and puts the club more inside, and then lets me feel like I can push my hands outward with my right hand. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

… reverse motorcycle rev feel… 

Was kind of what I was hoping you'd go back to. Use that to hit hooks for a little bit. Punchy hooks with the driver.

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

Was kind of what I was hoping you'd go back to. Use that to hit hooks for a little bit. Punchy hooks with the driver.

Will do! 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag