IGNORED

Who's the Most Talented Player on Tour?

colin007
Note: This thread is 5128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think AK is just about to start a streak of wins that will define him as one of the most talented players out there. We shall see.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiger contends in the Masters after a 5 month layoff not because he is the most talented, but because of his practice regimine and his mental approach to the game. It has nothing to do with natural talent. This is not some superhuman accomplishment, finishing 4th in the Masters after not playing in a while. Ben Hogan after his accident would show up at the Masters after not playing all winter and win. One year he played in only 5 tournaments won 4 including the only 3 majors he played in. And Ben was far from the most talented guy on tour; he outworked and outthought everybody just like Tiger; it had nothing to do with natural talent.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Tiger contends in the Masters after a 5 month layoff not because he is the most talented, but because of his practice regiment and his mental approach to the game. It has nothing to do with natural talent. This is not some superhuman accomplishment, finishing 4th in the Masters after not playing in a while. Ben Hogan after his accident would show up at the Masters after not playing all winter and win. One year he played in only 5 tournaments won 4 including the only 3 majors he played in. And Ben was far from the most talented guy on tour; he outworked and outthought everybody just like Tiger; it had nothing to do with natural talent.

The fact that they were not playing is exactly my point, Tiger hasn't been practicing much. Just listen to everything he said during his press conferences last year. He said at the beginning of the year he could hardly hit balls, and he had a torn achilles on and off all year. At his first conference thins year (in Feb., at TPC Sawgrass) he said he wasn't even thinking about golf.

When he was laid off Hogan couldn't play, it wasn't physically possible. He did most of his hitting balls until his hands bled in his younger days. Look at what you said: "And Ben was far from the most talented guy on tour; he outworked and outthought everybody just like Tiger; it had nothing to do with natural talent." Nothing to do with natural talent? Really? He was smart and hardworking, yes, but he was very very talented. The fact is, Tiger hasn't practiced much (by his standards) in the last couple years, just look at his swing, it sucks (again, by his standards).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know what you have been watching or reading, but Tiger himself said this week that it was all about practice not how many tournaments you play and he used Hogan as an example! He said he felt satisfied that he was working hard enough to win.

And stop being cute; I didn't say Hogan was not talented, just that he was far from the most talented player on tour. And, again, in the players own words, he acknowledged that and said that meant to him that he had to outwork and outhink the competition. Please read up on the matter, I'm not making stuff up. This is not a high school debate, you can't just pick up on phrase and use it to discount what was trying to be conveyed in the entire context of the post.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

The very best golfers are just about physically equal when it comes to ball striking and shot making capability, what separates the best is psychological. Tiger, Hogan, and Nicklaus had more natural mental talent than their competitors.

However, as the question is presented, I'd say Fred Couples has the most comfortable,natural looking golf swing/tempo on tour.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Some interesting thoughts here. (Great thread starter!) Seems everyone is separating physical talent from mental... Not sure that makes sense, considering golf is a famously mental-oriented game...

But to stick with the theme, I think folks are underestimating Tiger's physical prowess here. I'm not talking about his workout-enhanced physique, which he didn't have when he was winning all those US Amateurs and first few pro majors. He's a remarkable athlete -- the speed and fluidity of his hips through the hitting zone is outrageous. Don't forget the short game and putting, where he's got some gifts as well.

I could go on, but just put me in the Tiger-as-most-talented camp.

Sean

lets not go with tiger. i personally think he wins because he works harder than everyone else and he is prolly smarter than they are too. hes also a beast mentally.

you have to go with tiger. there is NO other choice. tiger was tearing up courses at the age of 12, was a 10 handicap at age 8. yes, 8. three us amateurs, two junior amateurs, six junior world championships. i don't care what kind of work ethic you have or how much you practice, there are one in a million people, if that, who could do all that before they graduated from high school.

as far as the daly comment goes, do you really think he was serious? hell, he and john both know tiger's got more talent than he does. phil has a dedicated work ethic, and is still 10 majors behind tiger, with a 5 year head start on the tour. tiger and everybody else knows he's the best in virtually every part of the game.

Two words...Tiger Woods...no one in the world can pull the shots off like he does as consistently as he does!

Driver - 454 Comp 8.5 degree w/ Mitsubishi SL-45 Rayon shaft
3 Wood - F-speed 13 degree w/ Aldilla NV shaft
Hybrid - Fli-Hi Iron 18 degree w/ Rifle shaft
Irons - MP-33 Forged Blades w/ S300 True Temper Steel shafts
Wedges - 52, 54, 58 degree Vokey Spin MilledPutter - G2i 35inBall - Pro V1x...

I know you said it's not about winning, but you don't become the world's number 1, and win as many competitions as Tiger does, without an immense amount of talent.

Ben

Agreed, Tiger is in a league all his own when it comes to figuring out how to plan a shot, pick a club and execute the shot. The measure of talent is the results. Some people, a la Daly, may be getting a whole hell of a lot out of what talent they do have, sans any additional work ethic, but when there's so much unfulfilled potential obvious, I believe that becomes measured as 'unfulfilled, and therefore fictional, talent.' That is, if you don't DO anything with the talent, is it really there?

I have to chime in on something else, too - there is no such thing as an 'imaginative' golfer. A golfer 'visualizes.' Imagination implies fiction, UNreality. We all can look at shots and visualize a hook around the trees, a flop over the bunker...but those are all restricted by course topology, gravity and the laws of physics. Our imagination is enormously constrained against the real possibilities. Aside from the first time he messed around in his yard and hit a wedge backwards, Phil is no more 'imaginative' than anyone else. Give any guy a 64° wedge, and of course, the first thing he'll think is, "gee, I bet I can hit this higher than my other clubs."

What a great golfer has, which is limited to the select hard-working, talented elite, is the complete confidence and trust in his skill to fulfill that visualization.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

AK, Mcilroy and Adam Scott in my opinion

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

I don't know what you have been watching or reading, but Tiger himself said this week that it was all about practice not how many tournaments you play and he used Hogan as an example! He said he felt satisfied that he was working hard enough to win.

When did he say it was all about practice? He said "It's not about the championships, it's about how you live your life".

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

When did he say it was all about practice? He said "It's not about the championships, it's about how you live your life". But, maybe I missed it.

In my bag:

Daly, Woods, AK, Mcilroy are all great shouts.

For a lot of the Pros, when they hit their 40s - their Careers seem to wind down, e.g Monty but some are still just as good..
Surprised no one has mentioned some of the Older guys like Kenny Perry, MA Jimenez etc.

Perry, about a year and a half ago seemed like he was winning almost everything or there abouts, and at age 48 was fantastic.
Same with Jimenez, he started this season (Nov/Dec in Europe) not so great and missing a few cuts and probably had some doubters seeing if this was his decline, but he proped up and won in Dubai.

Fred Couples, seems to be the 'Old Tiger' of the Champions Tour, if that makes sense? He's too good, maybe?

These guys are all still playing good golf and all made the cut at the first Major of the year, with Freddie challenging for the title right up to the back 9 on the final day.

Other than those already mentioned, namely TWoods, AK, an Mickelson, I'll be the first to nominate Padraig Harrington to the list. Won 3 of the last 11 Majors from what they said during the Masters!

Yeah I know he missed the cut this year, I was heartbroken!

|Callaway X460 draw-biased Driver|Taylormade Burner 3W|Adams Golf Idea A7 19° Hybrid|Adams Golf Idea Pro Gold 23° hybrid|King Cobra Baffler 29° hybrid|Taylormade Burner 6i|Adams Idea Tech A4OS 7i|Mizuno MP32 8i|Pro Select Blaze II 9i|Callaway Golf Forged Chrome 48° PW|Oncourse Target Series...

personally, i dont think tiger has maximized his potential. i dont think he gets the most out of his swing, cos you see other guys out there who are just as long, and who dont appear to be hitting with such a violent effort as tiger does. maybe there is a slight inefficiency to tigers swing so that he is swinging as hard as he can and yet is not significantly longer than the other long hitters?

Colin P.

Other than those already mentioned, namely TWoods, AK, an Mickelson,

It isn't all natural talent though.

He fiddles with his swing too much, even winning 2 majors in 1 year wasn't good enough

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

It isn't all natural talent though.

Well of course it isn't purely natural talent, no one in professional golf got there purely on talent, they had to work hard, develop their game, etc. I agree he maybe messes with his swing too much though, but only he knows his reasoning and he probably thinks ultimately it will improve his game. There's always growing pains with trying something new/different!

|Callaway X460 draw-biased Driver|Taylormade Burner 3W|Adams Golf Idea A7 19° Hybrid|Adams Golf Idea Pro Gold 23° hybrid|King Cobra Baffler 29° hybrid|Taylormade Burner 6i|Adams Idea Tech A4OS 7i|Mizuno MP32 8i|Pro Select Blaze II 9i|Callaway Golf Forged Chrome 48° PW|Oncourse Target Series...

Note: This thread is 5128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!