IGNORED

Who's the Most Talented Player on Tour?

colin007
Note: This thread is 5128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Phil Mickelson, because he wins as often as he does with

Dude, what is with you and "the golf swing"? There isn't a single "one swing", that works for everyone. Who in the world are you to make that comment, about any Tour Pro's swing? What, are they all junk if they don't subscribe to your holy grail "Stack, Tilt, and Don't Win" method??

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, what is with you and "the golf swing"? There isn't a single "one swing", that works for everyone. Who in the world are you to make that comment, about any Tour Pro's swing? What, are they all junk if they don't subscribe to your holy grail "Stack, Tilt, and Don't Win" method??

If you don't have a dependable, repeatable swing that works - whatever it looks like (see Jim Furyk) - you ain't gonna get anywhere, consistently. I'm not sure what Iacas' particular observations are on Tiger's swing but what I am watching at the moment is horrible. Overswing going back, huge dip coming forward. It's more up-and-down than round-and-round. It is shocking. It isn't smooth (as it used to be) and it isn't reliable. If in doubt, count the number of shots off the tee Tiger hit today that went where intended. There weren't many.

• Administrator

Uhm, yeah, cuz Tiger's swing is so great...

He loops it out well over the plane and then either comes over it or drops it underneath and gets stuck. He hit 6/28 fairways. He's had a two-way miss going since going to Hank Haney. Has he won majors? Sure - though a lot of them were when he didn't hit a lot of drivers off the tees. You give the average guy Tiger's takeaway and he'll hit the biggest pulls and the nastiest slices you'll see. I never said there's "one swing" and I don't care that Tiger doesn't do S&T; - though he does a helluva lot more of it than you would probably imagine. But the geometry of the plane and the swing are what they are, and they don't change just because Tiger Woods is holding the club. The ball doesn't lie - and Tiger's got no idea right now where his ball is going. And FWIW, I don't care much about the dipping. It's not really relevant... he's just preparing to jump, which all good players do. But coming through he has a high right shoulder as a result of his takeaway. Now, back to topic, please.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Uhm, yeah, cuz Tiger's swing is so great...

Here, let me translate what Erik's post is saying.

...... Owned. Kthnxbai

WITB;
R9; Tour Issue Aldila DVS R flex
2007 Burner 3 and 5 wood
Mp-60 4-PW KBS Tour R Stiff
MP series 51, 56, 60 Squareback No. 2. DT So/Lo

Too funny.

And while everyone is at it in such a critical point of view....Van Gogh's paintings could have been better, Edison should have invented better things and Mozarts sound was off key... Tiger is still the man, and has been for over 10 years. It's really not even close. How many cuts has the guy missed? in 14 years? Honestly "if" Tigers swing is so bad, as you all are saying, that just reiterates how talented he is to win...uh...71 Tour events and 14 Majors.. uh.... think about that for a minute.. Talent: "a person who possesses unusual innate ability in some field or activity" Were talking talent right? Talent really cannot be measured, unless you use statistics..and who even comes close? Also:
Ive read comments sugessting that tour pros think that Sergio Garcia is one of the most naturally gifted ballstrikers in the game.

This is very true and following Sergio around Muirfield Village through the years, I tend to agree with the caddies and tour pros who say this often, but how can we measure his? It's a tough question, and actually fun to ponder and read the responses but there is no right or wrong answer, but until someone can match the sheer Magic Tiger has produced for so long, my vote is T-dub.

• Administrator
Talent: "a person who possesses unusual

I highlighted the key word for me there - "innate." Someone who has learned something isn't necessarily flush with "innate" ability. I could probably dedicate myself to learning five languages, but other people have a talent for learning new languages - they pick them up as easily as one picks a ball off the green - and they could learn them practically overnight.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What about David Duval ?
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

My swing isnt the greatest and my scores arent either. I've read probably 20 or so books on the golf swing. I've never read one yet, that advocated do it any way but their way. Every one of them had the answer. None said do this and then do part of what Jack's book says. Never read one that said if you have long legs do this, or long arms do this. They all teach one way, and it is their way, I've noticed that myself-why is they all teach their way is the ONE WAY AND EVERYHONE OF THEM IS THE HOLY GRAIL? And even the guys on TV always talking about what happened on a swing, like there is only ONE WAY. Probably what is wrong with golf and reason people are leaving it. I am with you..everyone preaches their ONE WAY like it is the Holy Grail.

At this moment on Sunday, i am saying Rory McIlroy maybe?

What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

At this moment on Sunday, i am saying Rory McIlroy maybe?

Now, whatever prompted that suggestion?

Re: Who's the Most Talented Player on Tour?

It changes with the rub of the green and the bounce of the ball. If there was one best player then there is no purpose for watching the drama of competition and only the guy who always wins is winning again. boring/

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

First, my condolences to the guy who put the kabosh on Rory Mclroy a couple weeks back. Bad bounce there...

Second, I'm not sure talent is a single quantity. Actually, I'm sure it isn't. What good is talent if you can't bring it to the course? (Nerves problems.) That makes a second factor right there -- with the spectrum of amount of "nerves" on display. And what about the ability to hit short shots the right distance, compared with long straight shots? Not easy to work out at all. With regard to performance, what's the talent/practice quotient?

So, I'm going for the compound entity, defined as practice versus performance, I'd go with Bruce Lietzke on the senior tour (no practice, not much warm up) and Carlos Franco on the regular tour (no practice, zero warmup). Doesn't look like Cabrera spends a lot of time at the range, but I really don't know. If Cabrera just plays, I'd have to with him. On the senior tour, Freddy Couples fits the mold maybe even better, but I think he actually works on his game from time to time, so there's some work involved.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

Note: This thread is 5128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!