IGNORED

Nice courses in you area that allow jeans.

shades9323
Note: This thread is 5112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This whole thread is an oxymoron. The answer is 0. Nice courses don't allow jeans, and if you disagree, then you and I disagree on our definition of "nice."

As an ex University of Virginia "tweed", back when students at the UofV would not be caught dead in public without a rep tie, button down or tie pin shirt, tweed or summer Madras jacket, Corbin slacks or equivalent (back before they made Corbins in Indonesia) and wingtips, I could be convinced to wear a tie ala Bobby Jones and Gene Sarazen, as long as everybody else had to. That'd be "nice"! I'd also suggest that your tie color would be dictated by your handicap index.

Anyhow, just browsing around -- at Cog Hill, a pretty decent course, slacks are "preferred", but apparently not required. A couple of other courses which pass for "nice" in my book also "prefer" slacks, but don't demand them. All the "NO" lines are things like tank tops, swim suits, and steel spikes. (Funny, I remember when you HAD to wear steel spikes at "nice" courses! You weren't even allowed on the putting green without golf shoes!)

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I am stereotyping myself here, but my other hobby is calf roping, and jeans are both essential for durability, and work very well for athletic movements (if they fit correctly).

maybe they want to "look the part" when being a rodeo cowboy?

Do you see soccer players wearing denim? what about tennis? football? baseball? no? Why can't people "look the part" in golf? Don't pretend to be a cowboy.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Do you see soccer players wearing denim? what about tennis? football? baseball?

I guess I don't see your point. I don't see football or baseball players wearing denim, but if your point is that cowboys are trying to look the part, then everyone who plays a amateur game of football would be in full pads and helmets, and everyone who plays in a city softball league would wear Major League-style uniform, stirrup pants, etc., so I don't see how your arguement holds up. The majority of us who post on here are no closer to pro golfers than the backyard football player is to an NFL player.

The stuff in my bag (i.e. The clubs that I haven't tossed in the pond. Yet.):

Driver: G15
Fariway Woods: Fybrid 5
Irons: Big Bertha Fusion 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson 56 and 60Putter: IN Wack-e

I really could care less if you or the next guy is wearing jeans...but i think there is a fine line between baggy raggedy jeans and well fitted jeans.

Nice dark fitted jeans can look very formal...moreso than a pair of ill fitting ugly slacks.

With that said, I grew up with a strict golf coach where denim was just not allowed. I stick with a pair of nice slacks or on hot days, a pair of clean shorts.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Maybe I am stereotyping myself here, but my other hobby is calf roping, and jeans are both essential for durability, and work very well for athletic movements (if they fit correctly). Besides, Butch, ask ANY rodeo cowboy if what they do is "remotely athletic" or not.

Obviously jeans are appropriate for rodeos because they're durable. That's not a requirement for golf clothes though.

To jeans wearers: I don't care what you wear, I only say this for your own benefit: Once you try slacks made for golf you'll find they are much more comfortable (lighter, cooler) than jeans. If you don't like the way you look in them, fine. If you don't want to spend the $15 they cost at an outlet store or Target or Costco, fine. But you're doing yourself a disservice if you dismiss them out of hand for reasons of comfort.

Bill

Obviously jeans are appropriate for rodeos because they're durable. That's not a requirement for golf clothes though.

I don't play in jeans, but I could. Maybe you've never had a well made comfortable pair of jeans?

PS. You get what you pay for - who buys $15 pants?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I don't play in jeans, but I could. Maybe you've never had a well made comfortable pair of jeans?

Of course you could. Anyone could. Not the point. Slacks are more confortable IMO, and prob in the opinion of the majority of those who've tried them.

PS. You get what you pay for - who buys $15 pants?

Outlets and Costo-type stores have the same items that the big name stores have, but at a huge discount. $15 golf pants, for example.

Just trying to help.

Bill

Slacks made for golf? For $15, hahahaha. You can't get pants that are made for golf for $15. You could probably find some cheap dress pants that you can wear on the course. But a cheap pair of dress pants is going to feel worse than jeans.

Of course you could. Anyone could. Not the point. Slacks are more confortable IMO, and prob in the opinion of the majority of those who've tried them.

Maybe you're buying your pants too tight - newsflash: unless you're a skinny girl, tight jeans look foolish.

I've walked and carried my bag since I started this game - cheap pants have not stood up well. If you can find a good quality pair of "golf pants" (is that how they're labelled?) that fit well, good for you. Just because I've never seen any that I'd wear in public, doesn't mean it's not true.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Playing at the local muni I definitely see a lot of jeans, t-shirts, cut offs...etc I don't really have a problem with it, but I definitely get looks just for wearing khakis to the course :( I'm not trying to overdress or out dress people, its just what I like to wear to the course :/ I'm not trying to look like a pro or poser with $200 shoes, Nike pants and a polo, its just literally what I feel comfortable in (especially since these pants are so light that even on a hot day Its almost like I'm wearing shorts) and the shoes were literally the most comfortable golf shoes I have ever tried on, and I always walk :P Do I try and decently match? yeah, if I've got white shoes on and a white hat I'll probably wear a lighter color shirt :P The truth of the situation is that no matter what you wear, you are going to be judged, then your skill/game level will be factored in lol. If you play the guy in Nike shoes/pants/belt/shirt/hat/glove and matching set/bag and whatnot, you've likely judged them as someone who is either good, or as a poser and waiting for the first hit to see if it was a correct assertion, a duffer or a guy you are going to lose to. And I really mean no offense to anyone, but its highly likely that if you show up in cut-off jean shorts, a ratty old t-shirt looking like you haven't shaved in a month, people likely assume that you A: have a 6-pack hidden in your bag, and B: will be rude and belligerently drunk by the turn, but I have definitely met people who prove that wrong and are very very nice people (hell, one is like 50 or 60, super nice, with Parkinson's longer than I've been alive...plays cross-handed, and still beats me every time.) For me its not that I'm trying to look like a pro or anything, I just had a deal at Taylormade/Adidas through work that let me afford stuff I wanted lol. Really, wear what's comfortable to you within the regulations of whatever course you are playing, but at upperclass/super-upperclass courses I wouldn't be surprised at someone being denied because of jeans/t-shirt, its just the world we live in :P

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

Slacks made for golf? For $15, hahahaha. You can't get pants that are made for golf for $15.

Maybe *you* can't. I can, and have. The sources exist, I assure you. I mentioned some.

Maybe you're buying your pants too tight - newsflash: unless you're a skinny girl, tight jeans look foolish.

I have the body of Kate Moss, so I can pull it off.

Just kidding. Actually no, my jeans are just right and they're quite comfortable. Slacks (or breathable waterproof material on wet days) are simply more comfortable for golf, in my experience.
I've walked and carried my bag since I started this game - cheap pants have not stood up well. If you can find a good quality pair of "golf pants" (is that how they're labelled?) that fit well, good for you. Just because I've never seen any that I'd wear in public, doesn't mean it's not true.

"Golf pants" = pants made by Callaway, Nike, Greg Norman, Slazenger, Under Armour, etc. Does that clear it up for you?

You wouldn't wear a simple pair of khaki pants in public? No wonder we can't agree. Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack this thread into an argument on whether you can get name brands at discount prices. (But btw, once again: YOU CAN.) All I wanted to do was suggest that you may find slacks to be more comfortable than jeans, assuming you're not too stubborn to even consider the idea. As I said, I don't care either way, just trying to help here.

Bill

Maybe *you* can't. I can, and have. The sources exist, I assure you. I mentioned some.

I may get sucked into a trip to Costco with the wife after all, but I doubt it. I hate that place with a passion - just thinking about shopping there makes me want to vomit a little bit. But, if you can actually get good pants there . . . The kind of pants I'm talking about look okay on day one, but after 3 washings they're flood pants that "tent" and the waistband shrinks just enough so that the flap covering the fly won't cover the zipper any more. I refuse to wear pleated front angular pocketed old man pants that make you look like you're wearing Depends and when you sit down everything falls out of your pockets. Even pants that are not denim are more flattering to the average male when they're cut in the same style as jeans.

I live on a gated golf course community in a DFW Metroplex. We can't wear any denim or shirts without collars,
on the course, restaurant or clubhouse.

Somebody needs to read more carefully. All of you jeans detractors keep talking about how microfiber and other slacks are so much cooler than jeans. We never said that we wear jeans in hot weather. In fact, just the opposite. Most of us specifically said that we only wear them when it's cool enough that the heavier fabric is both comfortable and appropriate. I NEVER wear jeans in summer. Never never never. I also don't wear any other kind of slacks in hot weather. I wear shorts. If it's cold and rainy, then I wear my rain pants over my shorts. My GOLF rain pants.

In my opinion, most summer days are far too hot for any kind of slacks. If a course was to try and require them in place of shorts, then I wouldn't be playing there. I believe in playing in comfort. In hot weather that is shorts. Only in cooler weather, and if the course allows it, will I then I wear jeans.

And for golf you don't need to twist or bend in such a way that properly fitting jeans would be binding. That's a silly and ridiculous argument. If that's a problem for you, then your swing has way too many moving parts.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Heck with the jeans, I'm wearing sweatpants!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
What I play...
Driver - Burner Draw
Fairway - FY-Brid 3 Wood
Hybrid - Burner Rescue 19*Irons - R7 Draw 4-SW/LWWedge - CG14 Black 50*Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - TP RedBag - Stand Bag=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Note: This thread is 5112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!