IGNORED

Differences Between Driver Swing and Iron Swing (Driver Swing vs. Iron Swing Master Thread)

Finn07
Note: This thread is 3898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Same swing, I just spread my feet apart more and stand further away from the ball, also the ball is played a touch further in ahead in my stance.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Yes, different.
Because of the longer shaft, the back swing is a bit longer and slightly lower. While the swing is close to the same accept I hit the ball level instead of trying to make a divot.

I've been fighting this for months.

For a month or so, my irons were on fire. I was hitting the green off the tee for about 80% of my short to mid length par 3's. Within 170 yards I was pretty acurate. My biggest problem was getting to that distance would take me 2-3 strokes due to my inconsitincy of my driver/woods. So what do I do to fix it? I decided to hit an entire bucket of balls with woods and driver only. So now I'm hitting off the tee on 4's and 5's much better, but I've ruined my swing on my irons somehow.

The past 3-4 times i've played have been a nightmare trying to manage the 2 different swings. So I've went to the range twice last week and started swinging the same way with every club, and doing like some said, just moving the ball forward in my stance for my woods/driver. I'm striking the ball much more consitently on every club now. I guess my moral I took away from it was to get one swing. Thats what has helped me, I think, we'll see friday when i get on a course.

Flux
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

My driver swing FEELS the same to me as my iron shots. I always feel as if
i'm hitting and swinging down on the ball.

The difference in the ACTUAL swing and path are different because of a slightly wider setup with the driver, you're standing further from it which flattens the club path and the ball is on a tee.

DRIVER: 905r 8.5 UST V2 75 X
3 WOOD: 906f2 15 UST 85 X
HYBRID/IRON: Rapture Hybrid/3 Iron
IRONS: MX 200 Dynamic Gold X100
WEDGES: 52, 56, 60 600PUTTER: Geurin Rife Two Bar BALLS: Pro V1xGLOVE: SoftjoySHOES: Reelfit "Do those pump up?"BAG: Sun Mountain

The only way I can hit my 3 and 4 iron with any consitancy is to swing very similar to my driver. The lower irons seem to have a different swing path.

Driver: Superquad 9.5° - XS
3 Wood: Big Bertha II 15° - S
Irons: Mizuno MX-20
Wedges: Mizuno 50-06, 56-11, 60-05
Putter: Hog Mallet

for me, they are more similar than they are different. I stand a little farther away from the ball and the release/ forearm action is slightly delayed. However, the finishing positions of both swings are virtually the same.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

• 1 year later...
Just curious about something.

Got my new set of irons which I've been hitting really well (the upgrade from the mix of hand me downs is like night and day)

I'm using the Callaway driver in my sig, which I'm not a huge fan of because I find it hard to hit. I think it's mostly my swing that's causing the problem.

When I hit an iron I come down in behind it instead of trying to sweep it off the ground which seems to be working well for me. When I hit the driver should I be going for a rounder swing to pick it off the tee?

Also, what about for a hybrid? should it be a iron like hit?

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

The goal is to swing every club the same and just move the ball position to allow for different angles of attack.

Whats in the bag?
Driver = Wishon Golf 949mc 9.75*/.5* Closed Face Angle
Fairway Wood = Wishon Golf 915 F/H 16* Square Face Angle
Wood Shafts = Wishon Golf Pro Flight EXP 85g Stiff Flex
Hybrids = Wishon Golf 331H 21* & 24*Hybrid Shafts = Wishon Golf GI335 Tour Weight 92g Stiff FlexIrons = Wishon...

I've always felt like I have a different swing between my woods and my irons. It's a subtle difference but it's a difference I can feel. My swing with irons is more upright. It's also much more wristy at the top of the backswing. Inversely with woods my swing is flatter and I keep my wrists quite in the backswing. As to hybrids I struggled with mine until I began swinging it like I swing my irons.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I've always felt like I have a different swing between my woods and my irons. It's a subtle difference but it's a difference I can feel. My swing with irons is more upright. It's also much more wristy at the top of the backswing. Inversely with woods my swing is flatter and I keep my wrists quite in the backswing. As to hybrids I struggled with mine until I began swinging it like I swing my irons.

Have you seen your swing on video? I will bet that it surprises you if you haven't. The goal of golf is consistent contact right? How is that possible with a bunch of different swings?Or even two different swings?

Whats in the bag?
Driver = Wishon Golf 949mc 9.75*/.5* Closed Face Angle
Fairway Wood = Wishon Golf 915 F/H 16* Square Face Angle
Wood Shafts = Wishon Golf Pro Flight EXP 85g Stiff Flex
Hybrids = Wishon Golf 331H 21* & 24*Hybrid Shafts = Wishon Golf GI335 Tour Weight 92g Stiff FlexIrons = Wishon...

While the sensations may differ slightly because of shaft length, club weight, and posture / swing plane, the swing is the same.

This is really a fundamental of all good players. When you start trying to have different swings with different clubs, you really limit your development as a ball striker. If your iron swing doesn't work with the driver, it could tell you a couple things.

1) Your iron swing isn't as sound as you think it is.

2) If your iron swing is sound, you are not setting up with the driver properly, to be able to use your iron swing.

It really is fantastic when you start getting the feeling of same swing with all clubs. I am just getting there myself, and the results are really appealing.
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

Just curious about something.

There shouldn't be much difference between your iron swing and driver swing. But between your pitching wedge and driver your setup to the ball should be quite different. Yes, you should sweep the ball off the tee with the driver. This should happen because you have widened your stance and placed the ball to line up with the inside of the heel of your forward foot. If you address that ball with the clubface on the ground just behind the ball the club shaft should be straight up and down or even slightly leaning back. With your pitching wedge your hands would be forward of the ball and the shaft leaning towards the target and ball positioned in the middle of the stance. You are making the same swing though.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

Have you seen your swing on video? I will bet that it surprises you if you haven't. The goal of golf is consistent contact right? How is that possible with a bunch of different swings?Or even two different swings?

Fundamentally my swing is the same. But the feel is differnet. I don't know any other way to explain it. I do understand the principle of using the same swing regardless of the club, but I've always felt this difference. I think much of this difference for me is due to club length. Anyone swinging a wedge will swing it much more upright compared to their driver. You can't swing a driver upright like a wedge and be able to clear the ground in order to hit the ball (without dropping the club into a flatter swing plane as it approaches the ball similar to a swing like Jim Furyk's). I think the wrist action difference I feel is a consequence of the more upright swing plane. Viewing these as two distinct swings is a swing thought that has always worked for me.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I'll admit I'm an odd duck, but I have 2 swings. My Iron swing is very flat, straight back approaching from the outside, almost a pull, but it produces a very straight ball. The Driver swing is more rounded, but still outside, then drop it into the inside on the downswing producing a nice draw. I will say that they get mixed sometimes and my game goes askew. I should probably go to one swing, but I cannot get the iron swing to work with the driver, the tee ball fades or even slices. Maybe time to apply myself... jmoc

"Courage is fear holding on one minute longer." Gen. Geo. S. Patton, 5 June 1944

Grom Desert Camo
Dymo HL Driver and 5 Wood
GC Hybrids 3-5 i15 irons 6-pw Tour-W 50*, 54* and 58* wedges White Hot XG Hawk Freak Neo GPS

So really it should be the same swing but because of the driver ball placement + tee I'm going to hit the ball more on the upswing of the club vs the iron digging in just at the ball point?

In my bag:

That's right.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

Guess I'm bringing the driver with me to the range tonight to play around with it :)

In my bag:

I know that in theory the two swings should be the same....but I don't practice that.....and therein may lie the reason for my handicap

I simply "go with what I know". I tend to hit down on my irons and hybrid...almost always taking a deep divot. I sweep my driver...and even my woods, however I try to catch the ball on the grooves with a slight downward sweep...if this makes sense.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 3898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!