IGNORED

My Swing (tws1098)

tws1098
Note: This thread is 4678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

- Setup looks ok, although the club face looks a little closed at address.

Yeah, I really try to focus on an effortless swing. When I am able to relax I hit a higher percentage of nice shots.

A little off topic but, can improper lie angle cause a fat shot?

Yeah, I really try to focus on an effortless swing. When I am able to relax I hit a higher percentage of nice shots.

Yes, but they'd need to be pretty far off. If you have, say, 3° too much toe down, the toe will dig into the ground before the club gets to the ball, even in a perfect swing. Typically, though, the real sign the lie angles are off is a feeling of a lot of friction, even in shots you hit pure.

It looks as if your irons are maybe 1 degree too flat, but it's hard to tell from a video.

Yes, but they'd need to be pretty far off. If you have, say, 3° too much toe down, the toe will dig into the ground before the club gets to the ball, even in a perfect swing. Typically, though, the real sign the lie angles are off is a feeling of a lot of friction, even in shots you hit pure.

I don't think they are bent flat, so that probably wouldnt be the issue as much as them being 1" over standard length and I am only 5'9".

I don't think they are bent flat, so that probably wouldnt be the issue as much as them being 1" over standard length and I am only 5'9".

Mizunos are flatter than most makes of club though.

Lie angle and length are not that closely related, neither is height. I'm only 6' tall, but I need nearly 4° upright in some brands. My arms are very short, and don't bend all the way straight, so I need a much more upright club than my height would indicate.

Mizunos are flatter than most makes of club though.

My arms appear to straighten out and when i was fitted before I was standard with that brand.

My arms appear to straighten out and when i was fitted before I was standard with that brand.

Like I say, you need to be fit for each set. Lie angles are not standard.

Like I say, you need to be fit for each set. Lie angles are not standard.

Yeah I plan to get fitted, just wanted to see if that could be causing the fat shots. Thanks for the input.

The fat shots are most likely a result of your weight being too far back at impact.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah I plan to get fitted, just wanted to see if that could be causing the fat shots. Thanks for the input.

Yeah, just a cautionary tale. Too many people get the idea they fit the "standard" this or that, but there is no standard.

As to the fat shots, it seems you hit the ground a touch early, could be a lot of things, but likely a flip or hanging back. I'm just working out a flip I developed with injury, and you can hit the ball well with a flip, but it's hard to time perfectly, and sometimes results in fat (or in my case, thin) shots.

The fat shots are most likely a result of your weight being too far back at impact.

Yeah, just a cautionary tale. Too many people get the idea they fit the "standard" this or that, but there is no standard.

Yeah, i just looked at the video again. I think you both right, I stay behind the ball at impact. Any tips for how to shift myself forward at impact.

Not at impact, from the top of the backswing.

Lots of reading material here:
http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads/29616
http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads/35037

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Not at impact, from the top of the backswing.

I checked those out, thanks. And I am guessing that this is the reason there is a good following for the stack and tilt.

• Administrator
I checked those out, thanks. And I am guessing that this is the reason there is a good following for the stack and tilt.

Thing is, it's not really an "S&T;" move at all - good players push their hips forward. ALL good players - Ben Hogan, Tiger Woods, etc. Some less than others (faders of the golf ball tend to stop pushing their hips a bit earlier) but almost all more than just about every amateur.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 5 months later...

Couple of new pictures I wanted to throw up. I will hopefully have new videos soon. Based on the top of my back swing, I think I have eliminated my overswing.

I am working on the dip in my backswing, anything else that sticks out to you guys?

• Administrator
I am working on the dip in my backswing, anything else that sticks out to you guys?

Ball position sticks out. It looks to be way too far back.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ball position is centered, it is difficult to see well because of the angle and I am using a stupid indoor hitting stand.

At any rate, I had 4 pars and a chip in birdie during my 9 holes I got in after work. So I think I am progressing.

Hips are still way too far back to my eye, but you should ask iacas for clarification.

I had that same football chest growing up... funny, I never liked football, but my parents assumed with my body type it would be a natural fit. Good memories with that chest, and some bad ones.

Note: This thread is 4678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!