IGNORED

My Swing (tws1098)

tws1098
Note: This thread is 4678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey, sorry if you are now seeing this post for the 3rd time (I did not understand that the video I could see, others could not).

Anyway, here is my swing. Just looking for some thoughts. Keep in mind I have played less than 40 rounds so far in my 2 years of experience. Just looking for the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks!

what are your typical misses?

I have a tendency to hit it fat and an occasional shot off the toe. Could the fat shots be more from the clubs being 1" longer than standard? I am only 5'9". I want to go have them adjusted after graduation next weekend.

I'm certainly no expert and you're probably a better golfer than I am, but here are a couple of caps with Hogan's plane (ball-to-shoulders) and a spine angle drawn through the base of your neck. I've adjusted the frames so your feet and the horizon roughly line up between the two since the camera wiggled a bit during the swing.

Looks to me like you're pretty well on the green plane, though perhaps a bit above. Hogan would have you on-or-below it. My gut reaction was that you were steep at the top, but it may just be that you have a steeper plane than I picture in my head.

Your head/neck seem to dip toward the ball a touch, perhaps contributing to the fat shots? This may be why your front shoulder seems to be punching through the green plane. Again, with reference to the diagrams in Hogan, all of his shoulders lie beneath that plane.

Also, your elbow pitches out a fair bit more than the drawings in Hogan. Not sure what that'd do, though, or whether it's enough to worry about. Anyway, just a couple thoughts at 3 in the morning...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

you've got a massive overswing

Don't be so wristy, you'll get more consistency.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

you've got a massive overswing

Can you explain this? (what should I be doing to help fix it as well?)

Can you explain this? (what should I be doing to help fix it as well?)

I may get some of this wrong, (I'm not too experienced at this) but other people will correct me if I'm wrong.

The first half you the backswing is ok, but when you get near the top your left elbow bends TOO much, it's meant to "bow" a small bit but your doing it too much, and then you hinge your wrists and the clubhead is pointing at the ground (not good). Because of this you'll lose the width in your downswing and you'll lose power. Focus on keeping your left arm straight and only using a small bit of wrist hinge, try hitting a few shots and then take a video of your swing face on. Try keeping the club short of parallel.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

When the club reaches hip high on the backswing the club position should be with the toe pointing to the sky and the shaft down the target line this will help set your wrist for a successful and effortless swing back at impact. practice this drill with the wedges, another way to look at the swing position at hip high is to have the back of your left hand facing perpendicular to the target line, the face of the club should also face in this direction.

watch the video no you tube title" the perfect golf swing" or " swing like tiger woods"

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah I remember to keep my arm straight sometimes, it just hasn't become part of my thought routine. I will try to keep it in mind. So where should the club and club head be at the top?

I just saw another post...it should be pointing toward the sky when?

Yeah I remember to keep my arm straight sometimes, it just hasn't become part of my thought routine. I will try to keep it in mind. So where should the club and club head be at the top?

Parallel to the ground is what I do some people like to have it just before parallel, not past it though.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

]When the club reaches hip high on the backswing the club position should be with the toe pointing to the sky and the shaft down the target line this will help set your wrist for a successful and effortless swing back at impact. practice this drill with the wedges, another way to look at the swing position at hip high is to have the back of your left hand facing perpendicular to the target line, the face of the club should also face in this direction.

Alright that makes sense, I think I have heard that before. Thanks for the thoughts. Also, no one has really mentioned my tempo, does that seem okay? I try to be slow, but I still feel like i overswing a lot of the time.

At what point during the swing?

on your backswing with the club hip high

Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

ProV-1

• Administrator
Focus on keeping your left arm straight and only using a small bit of wrist hinge, try hitting a few shots and then take a video of your swing face on. Try keeping the club short of parallel.

The best way to keep your left arm straight is almost to feel as if you're keeping your RIGHT arm straight. It'll still bend (it has to) but you want to keep it straighter - much straighter.

That's why the Swing Extender works.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Alright that makes sense, I think I have heard that before. Thanks for the thoughts. Also, no one has really mentioned my tempo, does that seem okay? I try to be slow, but I still feel like i overswing a lot of the time.

your tempo is fine, the video face on watch your rear leg and on your backswing you will notice how it starts with a slight bend and on the top of your backswing watch your rear knee position again......... you will notice that you lose the flex in that rear knee. that means that you are turning upward and not parallal with the ground, this will cause you to top the ball or hit behind the ball, or fat. rotate parallal with the ground and focus on keeping the flex in your rear knee. also focus on keep the weight on the inside of your rear foot.

Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

ProV-1

The best way to keep your left arm straight is almost to feel as if you're keeping your RIGHT arm straight. It'll still bend (it has to) but you want to keep it straighter - much straighter.

That makes sense, I will keep that in mind when I practice today.

your tempo is fine, the video face on watch your rear leg and on your backswing you will notice how it starts with a slight bend and on the top of your backswing watch your rear knee position again......... you will notice that you lose the flex in that rear knee. that means that you are turning upward and not parallal with the ground, this will cause you to top the ball or hit behind the ball, or fat. rotate parallal with the ground and focus on keeping the flex in your rear knee. also focus on keep the weight on the inside of your rear foot.

I had not noticed that, but since that is my main problem at times (divot behind/under the ball) I will work on this as well.

So today i am going to work on keeping my left arm straight, toe up at hips, and keeping my knee flexed throughout. Thanks a lot guys I will probably post an update video today.

on your backswing with the club hip high

I would recommend the club face is angled around 45º down at that point, not with the toe pointing up. Toe pointing up means you have rolled the arms over, which has to be rolled back somewhere before impact.

Hard to tell if he locks the knee, but to emphasize, the right knee should straighten through the backswing, not stay the same as it was at address. The right hip is supposed to turn upward, the hips should not rotate parallell to the ground. If you don't straighten the right knee, the hips won't be able to make a full turn. Since we are standing at an angle, the hips must rotate at an angle, meaning the right hip must move up and in. Right knee straightens, left knee gains flex. The right knee must not go so far that it locks, it has a little flex left.

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads/34692 Demonstrated on this video. If you keep the flex in the knees, the hips won't be able to rotate properly On this video you see that the hips rotate at an angle, not parallell to the ground.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

- Setup looks ok, although the club face looks a little closed at address.
- Tempo is fine.
- The overswing thing at the top of the backswing. Think of tossing a golf ball vertically a foot or two -- you move your arm up a few inches and let the ball go. The momentum of the ball will cause it to continue up while gravity decelerates it and eventually causes it to stop and come back down. If you want to throw it higher, you add more momentum at release. I think a good backswing is like that. You supply force up until some point in your backswing (maybe left arm just short of parallel to the ground on a full swing). After that, you just let it go and momentum will carry the club and arms the rest of the way to the top. You want to supply enough momentum so your hands get to shoulder height or just above in a full swing. When done correctly, you should have the feeling of weightlessness in the arms (and a feeling of a slight pause) before starting the downswing.

Note: This thread is 4678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!