IGNORED

Upright vs. Flat

Note: This thread is 5113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Upright, Flat, or standard?

• Upright
    • Standard
    • Flat

From all the people I see on this forum using upright irons (myself included), are standard clubs just on the flat side these days? Opinions, come on out.

It depends on the manufacturer. My current clubs are standard, my last set was 2º upright. Funny thing is, they are within .5º on each club, some are the same. From my research, the standard has gone upright a bit in the last 10 years or so.

The important thing is to get the actual number. If you get fit for a 62º 6-iron, that might be flat, standard, or upright, depending on who makes it. You might need to go upright in Ping, but flat for Cleveland, or standard for Titleist (I don't really know on each brand, just using an example).

Everyone can be different and every manufacturer can have a different standard to base the results on. Flat, standard, or upright doesn't make a golfer any better or worse, just different maybe than the next person.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

what does a more upright club/flat club do to a shot?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

what does a more upright club/flat club do to a shot?

I believe it depends on your swing, but with an upright club you might tend to draw it or hook it more that with a flat club. And with a flat club you might tend to fade it more.

Driver: Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5* , Aldila RIP’d stiff shaft (60g).

Ping G10 15* Hybrid
Callaway Heavan Wood 19* Hybrid
Putter: T-Line XXIV Tommy Armour

Ping i/3 Irons green dot
Cleveland 60* Lob wedge, Ping 56* Sand wedge, Nike SV Tour Black Satin 52* wedge, Ping 48* wedge.

Ball: TaylorMade

It depends on the manufacturer. My current clubs are standard, my last set was 2º upright. Funny thing is, they are within .5º on each club, some are the same. From my research, the standard has gone upright a bit in the last 10 years or so.

This is what I found last year.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe it depends on your swing, but with an upright club you might tend to draw it or hook it more that with a flat club. And with a flat club you might tend to fade it more.

Essentially, and this effect will be more pronounced in clubs with more loft.

Club lie angle is altered to ensure as straight a ball as possible. Catching the turf with the toe or heel will cause the club to open or close through impact. Lie isn't adjusted to create a shot profile.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Yea if its not fixed for your swing to make the turf enturaction all square, then you might hit this way. But the whole point of making the club flat or upright for you is to make sure when your club hits the ground the entire sole of the club is even against the ground.

Interesting thread. My Callaway X22 Tours have a 6I at 61.5%. (standard)

The AP2's that I am interested in have a 6I that is 62.5%. (standard)

I have the Callaway adjusted +2* upright.

Sounds like with the AP2's I would only need +1* upright.

I am going to get professionally fitted before I buy them but either way, but it is pretty interesting when you look at the difference.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Club lie angle is altered to ensure as straight a ball as possible. Catching the turf with the toe or heel will cause the club to open or close through impact. Lie isn't adjusted to create a shot profile.

If you are catching the toe on your swing a lot of the time, isn't your swing more uprite and you would benefit from a more upright club or lie angle? And it would be the other way around for catching the heel.

Driver: Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5* , Aldila RIP’d stiff shaft (60g).

Ping G10 15* Hybrid
Callaway Heavan Wood 19* Hybrid
Putter: T-Line XXIV Tommy Armour

Ping i/3 Irons green dot
Cleveland 60* Lob wedge, Ping 56* Sand wedge, Nike SV Tour Black Satin 52* wedge, Ping 48* wedge.

Ball: TaylorMade

Problem. I think i have an upright swing because the 60 deg and the 56 deg wedges i own, i usuallly hit them to the right, and after nearly every shot, the ball makes contact on the toe side of the clubface and the sole always has some dirt on the toe side after almost every shot. Bear in ind i have never been fitted and i cant be fitted cuz they dont have that system here in Pakistan =S
Having said that i play the ping raptures, red dot 0.75 flat, and ii hit the really well. straight and a slight draw from time to time. im also 6'2" if that helps. =D Help??

07 Burner regular flex. (my dads-doing wonders with it) :D
supersteel burner steel shaft strong 3 wood
R7 draw 5 wood
Rapture 4-pw uw. Red dot. <3
56 deg sw60 deg Cg14 white steel two ball putter penta golf shoes. =D

If you are catching the toe on your swing a lot of the time, isn't your swing more uprite and you would benefit from a more upright club or lie angle? And it would be the other way around for catching the heel.

That is the idea... although there could be swing related things causing you to feel that. Have an experienced clubfitter check things out on a lie board, while you hit.

If your clubs are indeed too flat, you'll no it the moment you hit a iron with the right lie.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Problem. I think i have an upright swing because the 60 deg and the 56 deg wedges i own, i usuallly hit them to the right, and after nearly every shot, the ball makes contact on the toe side of the clubface and the sole always has some dirt on the toe side after almost every shot. Bear in ind i have never been fitted and i cant be fitted cuz they dont have that system here in Pakistan =S

If you don't have the correct equiptment to get your clubs fit a very simple way to check the clubs yourself is to put a piece of eletrical tape on the bottom of your club and hit a few balls off of a plywood board. If you look at the tape after you hit a couple of balls you should see some wear from where your club hit the board. If it is on the toe of the club you need a flatter lie and if it is near the heel you need a more upright club. The farther from the center of the club the more you need bent

If you don't have the correct equiptment to get your clubs fit a very simple way to check the clubs yourself is to put a piece of eletrical tape on the bottom of your club and hit a few balls off of a plywood board. If you look at the tape after you hit a couple of balls you should see some wear from where your club hit the board. If it is on the toe of the club you need a flatter lie and if it is near the heel you need a more upright club. The farther from the center of the club the more you need bent

Um, no, the opposite. If it's on the toe, you need an upright club, and vice versa.

In general, if your lie angle is wrong, you'll have to make compensations to hit it straight and on center, and contact will never feel pure.

Um, no, the opposite. If it's on the toe, you need an upright club, and vice versa.

The thing is though it can change if you tweak your swing at all. I tweaked mine a little and now I am standard lie, so I dont need any bends. Got fitted twice with same results.

Note: This thread is 5113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!