IGNORED

Rules Question (Man Made Obstructions)

BonoVox
Note: This thread is 5118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At my home course there are a few situations that are easy to run into. On one of the par 4s that play down hill there is a bathroom/snack bar on the right hand side. Close enough to the fairway that it does not take much to be stymied by it.

On the same hole further up is a net that is up to protect people teeing off on another hole. Again sometimes you find yourself close to it or even against it.

Another hole there is a fenced off power station. About the size of a van that is also in play to the right of the fairway.

What is the rule on this? If it/they are blocking your shot to the green? Or the fence impedes your swing?

I know on the PGA tour they drop for stands, TV Towers, etc. (are they different because they are temporary?)

I am sorta thinking this is dealt with via a local rule. But the score card does not call them out.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

24-2. Immovable Obstruction

Reading the rule it seems you get relief for you swing. But not necessarily for your line to the hole. Am I reading that right?

FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

I know on the PGA tour they drop for stands, TV Towers, etc.

"Great, now I have a stupid tower blocking my ball!"

Sorry, had to do it.

WITB:

Fast 10 10.5* Driver  |  adams.gif Fast 10 15* 3 Wood  |  adams.gif Idea V3 19* Hybrid  |  titleist.gif 710 AP1 4-GW  |    55* and 60* Wedges  |  Lajosi KLP7J Putter

24-2. Immovable Obstruction

Normal relief for an immovable obstruction only comes from your ball being in or on it or if it interferes with your stance or swing. You can get relief from an immovable obstruction on your line of putt when both your ball and the obstruction are on the putting green. Otherwise line of play relief is only for temporary immovable obstructions.

Rob Tyska

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Normal relief for an immovable obstruction only comes from your ball being on it or if it interferes with your stance or swing. You can get relief from an immovable obstruction on your line of putt when both your ball and the obstruction are on the putting green. Otherwise Line of play relief is only for temporary immovable obstructions.

Damn bathroom!!!! LOL

Thanks!!!!

Ok second question. The power bank that has a fence around it. I hit a ball that actually went into the fenced area once. (I walked into the area and retrieved ball) Where do I drop? Can I drop to the side of it (within one club)? Do I drop at the point the ball was closest to (while it was laying in the fenced area)? Do I have to drop behind it thus blocking my shot?

Ok second question. The power bank that has a fence around it. I hit a ball that actually went into the fenced area once. (I walked into the area and retrieved ball) Where do I drop? Can I drop to the side of it (within one club)? Do I drop at the point the ball was closest to (while it was laying in the fenced area)? Do I have to drop behind it thus blocking my shot?

Rule 24-2 states

'b. Relief Except when the ball is in a water hazard or a lateral water hazard, a player may take relief from interference by an immovable obstruction as follows: (i) Through the Green: If the ball lies through the green, the player must lift the ball and drop it, without penalty, within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief.The nearest point of relief must not be in a hazard or on a putting green.' Nearest point of relief is the closest spot that gives you relief from interference of that obstruction. If the fence is blocking your line of play then it is just tough life.

Yeah I guess if it is in a boxed off (by fencing) area, I just drop outside of that area at the point that is closest to where the ball sits in that boxed in fenced area.

LOL I got it.

Sorry to be a pain! This situation has happened once and I know it will again. (come close a couple of other times) The spot is right of the fairway and at a distance where my drives have a good opportunity to end up in it.

THANKS ALL!!!!!!

I love those damn weather shelters that sit inbetween fairways, always find those things ;b.

A windmill on the golf course would be awesome, in the middle of the fairway, try to hit your shot with out hitting the blades... X-games golf, bring it

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mentioned two situations in 18 holes. LOL No windmills! LOLOL

Found out tonight at the members meeting the bathroom and protective net on the right of 15 are played as immovable obstructions. Deal on right 16th is a weather station (must be local rule) played like a grandstand at a PGA tourney. (TMI?)

Note: This thread is 5118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!