IGNORED

The Stimpmeter speed of my carpet is...

kfowler
Note: This thread is 2720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I created one of those homemade Stimpmeters that's been discussed here lately. Only difference was I added a support to consistently give me the 20*. Seems to work pretty well. I have standard builders grade carpet. I thought it would have been closer to 4. According to Wikipedia, the USGA says 6.5 is medium speed for standard greens.

Pretty interesting.

My carpet plays like a slightly slow green which collaborates your post.  Thanks for your experiment and post.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most middle-of-the road courses stimp at about 9-10 or so in my experience, usually closer to 9.

Yes, the iStimp tends to read the greens as faster than they are. I don't use it. The best way is to make some putts under known conditions and correlate to your chart till you find the corresponding stimp, you need to have good speed and line control for this. I usually just assume it's about a 9 and adjust from there based on the first few putts. That's a tip I got from @Golfingdad and it seems to work well enough and it fits nicely with my laziness. High end courses will typically stimp at a higher speed but most of the el cheapos I play are a 9.

Okay. Thanks for the info.

Kevin

• 1 month later...

Got a new runner that stimps around 13.5'

So if I want to improve my distance touch for the average green speed I will likely see, do I hit 9 foot putts and tell myself that was really a 6 or 5 footer?

Kevin

• 1 year later...

I resurrected this old thread because I made a stimpmeter today out of some scrap aluminum. The carpet in my basement runs close to 15. I was surprised it was that much faster than actual greens.

It's still the best area I have to practice on. I can't imagine it could do more harm than good.

Jon

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

I resurrected this old thread because I made a stimpmeter today out of some scrap aluminum. The carpet in my basement runs close to 15. I was surprised it was that much faster than actual greens.

It's still the best area I have to practice on. I can't imagine it could do more harm than good.

Do you just release the ball from the right height and angle?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

50 minutes ago, iacas said:

Do you just release the ball from the right height and angle?

If what I read on the internet is correct, I think it's close enough for a crappy putter to get some idea of how his practice area compares to actual greens. 

10.5" height and 30" run at what should be a 20.5°. The notch wasn't deep enough to release the ball at the correct height/angle, so I just released it with my finger when I brought it up to the 10.5". The bottom angle was measured and hand cut with a grinder, so it's not a perfectly machined instrument. It is close enough that the ball doesn't jump or bounce when it leaves the aluminum surface and makes contact with the putting surface. 

Jon

34 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

If what I read on the internet is correct, I think it's close enough for a crappy putter to get some idea of how his practice area compares to actual greens. 

10.5" height and 30" run at what should be a 20.5°. The notch wasn't deep enough to release the ball at the correct height/angle, so I just released it with my finger when I brought it up to the 10.5". The bottom angle was measured and hand cut with a grinder, so it's not a perfectly machined instrument. It is close enough that the ball doesn't jump or bounce when it leaves the aluminum surface and makes contact with the putting surface. 

I did something similar and the amount the ball 'fell' on it's track (my building is old) was really helpful in being able to better ID when I am hitting straight putts.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

12 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

I found this triangle calculator online.  Per this tool the height should be 10.261 inches.  (This shows the triangle upside down, the ground side with the 90 degree angle is at the top.)  Is 10.261 correct?

Triangle.JPG

56 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I found this triangle calculator online.  Per this tool the height should be 10.261 inches.  (This shows the triangle upside down, the ground side with the 90 degree angle is at the top.)  Is 10.261 correct?

I went by this webpage but didn't check the numbers until just now. I've forgotten much of what I'd learned in Geometry, but when I run the numbers in my illustration software, something isn't coming out right.

Edit: Ok, they are coming out very close now. The angle of 20.5° does produce a height of just over 10.5" with a 30" run.

If you got 10.261" is that because you used a 20° angle instead of a 20.5°

Edited by JonMA1

Jon

Note: This thread is 2720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!